Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your views on blacks having their own media?
There's nothing wrong with it 58 33.53%
It's racist 109 63.01%
I don't know 6 3.47%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:52 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Sure it's just a fraction, a very large fraction and a very popular fraction.

With all legendary black jazz, blues and R&B musicians that have lived in this great country do you think the average black high school student knows any of them as well as the rap artists that bombard black media today? You continually speak about BET, turn on BET at any time and chances are you're going to see a couple rap stars covered in diamonds throwing cash at some hooker in spandex on the hood of a $200K car. Black media may not be racist but it sure doesn't do much to help black people break the stereotypes that they seem to dislike.
just because it's the most marketable genre of black music, that doesn't mean it makes up the majority of it. because believe me, it doesn't.

the average black high school student may not know as much about ray charles or miles davis as they do about soulja boy or lil' wayne, but they do know about them. the same way my mother didn't know as much about duke ellington or billie holiday as she knew about the temptations and james brown. it's a generational thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 08:57 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
I grew up in a very mixed community with a high percentage of black people, much higher than the national average. Throughout high school it was easy to see which black students were going to live life as a victim of slavery which they never experiences and those students who were going to make something of their lives despite whatever might have happened 100 - 200 years ago.

I very much do talk my black friends and coworkers about this subject on a fairly regular basis, I actually had a long conversation with one of them because of this thread in particular.
fine. but what you need to understand is that it's not as cut and dry as you're making it.

educated blacks disagreeing about the effects of slavery is as natural as whites disagreeing about politics. it's all about each individual's opinion and beliefs

and you shouldn't be so quick to judge those black kids who were "obviously" going to become "victims". because you have no idea what they might have been going through. if they come from a household of black statistics, it's pretty much fate that they'll become a statistic as well...not exactly their own fault

Old 11-13-2010, 09:03 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
*sigh* You're way off, as usual. I don't know what guilt you're talking about and I have no idea why you would think I'm selfish when you don't know me at all and I have said nothing here that would indicate that I'm a selfish person. Maybe you think I'm selfish b/c I don't want to give handouts to poor blacks who refuse to work...but that's not being selfish, that's economics. It's not a good return on investment.

I don't have to prove that blacks are not affected by slavery, it's common sense. It appears that is lacking around CD. I most assuredly did not prove any point for you. If you want to talk about reparations, go talk to artwomyn. She'll agree with you and y'all can sail off into the sunset together.

I'm not trying to impress anyone, you don't have to believe me when I talk about psychology stuff. It's funny you believe the other poster who claims she has a background in psychology but you don't believe me. I wonder if that has to do with the fact that she's black and I'm white. I think I'm onto something here...you're racist! You will never want to believe anything I said b/c I'm evil whitey. I will therefore stop banging my head against the brick wall of trying to get a point across to you and stop addressing you like I've stopped addressing natalay and artwomyn.
If you're referring to me as the "other poster who claims she has a background in psychology," please note that I am white.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:03 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
fine. but what you need to understand is that it's not as cut and dry as you're making it.

educated blacks disagreeing about the effects of slavery is as natural as whites disagreeing about politics. it's all about each individual's opinion and beliefs

and you shouldn't be so quick to judge those black kids who were "obviously" going to become "victims". because you have no idea what they might have been going through. if they come from a household of black statistics, it's pretty much fate that they'll become a statistic as well...not exactly their own fault
I don't judge anyone, I'm aware that there are homes full of black statistics just like there are homes full of white statistics and many blacks and whites choose to live lives based on those statistics. I don't think the idea of living with a crutch is owned 100% by blacks, there are tons of whites who do the same thing.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I grew up in a very mixed community with a high percentage of black people, much higher than the national average. Throughout high school it was easy to see which black students were going to live life as a victim of slavery which they never experiences and those students who were going to make something of their lives despite whatever might have happened 100 - 200 years ago.

I very much do talk my black friends and coworkers about this subject on a fairly regular basis, I actually had a long conversation with one of them because of this thread in particular.
I bet they hate to see you coming. They are probably appeasing your need to drill them out of sheer politeness. FYI: I think it is rude to insist that a person of the dominant culture ask INDIVIDUALS to educate them about if and how they have been marginalized. It is just inappropriate. Get together with your white friends and discuss this or read about black history or black psychology or sociology. Don't burden other people with your insatiable curiosity.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I bet they hate to see you coming. They are probably appeasing your need to drill them out of sheer politeness. FYI: I think it is rude to insist that a person of the dominant culture ask INDIVIDUALS to educate them about if and how they have been marginalized. It is just inappropriate. Get together with your white friends and discuss this or read about black history or black psychology or sociology. Don't burden other people with your insatiable curiosity.
Again, wrong. Many of our conversations aren't started by me. The people I tend to associate with believe that the dominant culture in this country is American, not black or white. I don't expect or need anyone to educate me about how they've been marginalized because they haven't allowed anyone to do that to them just like I haven't allowed that to be done to me.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Again, wrong. Many of our conversations aren't started by me. The people I tend to associate with believe that the dominant culture in this country is American, not black or white. I don't expect or need anyone to educate me about how they've been marginalized because they haven't allowed anyone to do that to them just like I haven't allowed that to be done to me.

Educate yourself. Marginalization is not something that a person "allows." It is systemic. Kind of difficult to explain because your mind is closed. As a white person in America, you have built in privilege, that is invisible to you because it is all you have known. You don't have to worry about being turned down for a job because of your race or ethnicity, you don't have to worry about being turned down for an apartment for your race or ethnicity (yes, this does happen, educate yourself).

America is not color blind, it is STILL very racist. Go to any forum and you will find threads that have very thinly veiled racism being spouted.

Most racists sincerely don't think they are racist, but it is not up to them to define that. Other people can spot it in you and you should take their word for it because you may be unconscious of it. Just be open enough to consider that since you are privileged, you just might not know what it is like to be a person of color.

Of course slavery has a negative impact on FAMILIES for generations. DUH. Think about how families were shattered and broken and then tell people to just "get over it." That is just ridiculous.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:

Educate yourself. Marginalization is not something that a person "allows." It is systemic. Kind of difficult to explain because your mind is closed. As a white person in America, you have built in privilege, that is invisible to you because it is all you have known. You don't have to worry about being turned down for a job because of your race or ethnicity, you don't have to worry about being turned down for an apartment for your race or ethnicity (yes, this does happen, educate yourself).

America is not color blind, it is STILL very racist. Go to any forum and you will find threads that have very thinly veiled racism being spouted.

Most racists sincerely don't think they are racist, but it is not up to them to define that. Other people can spot it in you and you should take their word for it because you may be unconscious of it. Just be open enough to consider that since you are privileged, you just might not know what it is like to be a person of color.

Of course slavery has a negative impact on FAMILIES for generations. DUH. Think about how families were shattered and broken and then tell people to just "get over it." That is just ridiculous.
Wow... just wow. If I had only known I was privileged this whole life thing would have been so much easier.

When I had to wait tables for years to pay for college while some of my black peers were there on black only scholarships... I was privileged.

When I spent all that time studying to educate myself and to do well on exams while black athletes were given passing grades for doing nothing but catch a football... I was privileged.

When I had to sell my blood just to pay for my cap and gown to wear to my college graduation while black students were sponsored by local black businesses... I was privileged.

When I went to numerous interviews looking for a job or even an internship fresh out of college only to find out that they were an "equal opportunity employer" and had to hire less qualified black applicants... I was privileged.

When I wake up in the morning and go to work to make a living to support my family, pay my taxes and be a good citizen while some people sit on their rear end and collect entitlement checks paid for with my tax dollars... I'm privileged.

It sure does feel good to be privileged, I'm not sure how much more of this white privilege I can handle.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Wow... just wow. If I had only known I was privileged this whole life thing would have been so much easier.

When I had to wait tables for years to pay for college while some of my black peers were there on black only scholarships... I was privileged.

When I spent all that time studying to educate myself and to do well on exams while black athletes were given passing grades for doing nothing but catch a football... I was privileged.

When I had to sell my blood just to pay for my cap and gown to wear to my college graduation while black students were sponsored by local black businesses... I was privileged.

When I went to numerous interviews looking for a job or even an internship fresh out of college only to find out that they were an "equal opportunity employer" and had to hire less qualified black applicants... I was privileged.

When I wake up in the morning and go to work to make a living to support my family, pay my taxes and be a good citizen while some people sit on their rear end and collect entitlement checks paid for with my tax dollars... I'm privileged.

It sure does feel good to be privileged, I'm not sure how much more of this white privilege I can handle.
Just for your information, your response is pure textbook . . . whatever hardships you have suffered, and as human beings we ALL have something . . . just imagine the same circumstances AND BEING BLACK . . . see if you can even imagine it . . . it would have made whatever your challenges were much harder.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Just for your information, your response is pure textbook . . . whatever hardships you have suffered, and as human beings we ALL have something . . . just imagine the same circumstances AND BEING BLACK . . . see if you can even imagine it . . . it would have made whatever your challenges were much harder.
It's textbook because it's true and you hate it because it removes your ability to create a victim mentality for an entire group of people. Please try selling your BS to someone else, I'm not buying any at this point.

Imagine being black... AND BEING BLACK. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies