Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your views on blacks having their own media?
There's nothing wrong with it 58 33.53%
It's racist 109 63.01%
I don't know 6 3.47%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 10:21 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,058 times

Advertisements

and i don't know where you're located, but where i'm from, even some of the lowliest people out of the gutter still put a value on education. you even have drug dealers telling kids to stay in school lol

making fun of kids for taking education seriously is something that teenagers do. never in my life have i ever heard a black adult (regardless of their questionable background) downplay education. and i live in the south; so go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 04:11 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,548,583 times
Well if whites had their own media org it sure as hell would be considered racist. Don't see why this is any different.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:35 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Well if whites had their own media org it sure as hell would be considered racist. Don't see why this is any different.
because you see white people all the time on every major channel. simple.

that's the difference. there's never been a need for white people to have their own channel, but there was a reason for blacks to have their own

Old 11-26-2010, 01:12 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,312 times
There's no such thing as "reverse racism". Racism is racism.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:39 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times
Quote:
Not really. When something is all white it's just normal. They only need to use a racial qualifier when it's another race.

Take Friends for example. They were not listed as an all-white cast of male and female friends living in the city. Nor were the women on sex in the city listed as all white women trying to find love, etc BUT Living Single & Girlfriends were both described as "black" shows even though it was basically the same concept. Same as Family Matters, it was about an African-American family but Full House was about a widowed father raising his three girls with the help of his brother-in-law and best friend.

I don't think I've ever seen anything that was referred to as "all white" or "white cast" or "white family"...they use other adjectives (Roseanne was a low-income family, Married with Children was a dysfunctional family) and I assume that's because white is the norm.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:14 AM

1,124 posts, read 3,592,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Not really. When something is all white it's just normal. They only need to use a racial qualifier when it's another race.

Take Friends for example. They were not listed as an all-white cast of male and female friends living in the city. Nor were the women on sex in the city listed as all white women trying to find love, etc BUT Living Single & Girlfriends were both described as "black" shows even though it was basically the same concept. Same as Family Matters, it was about an African-American family but Full House was about a widowed father raising his three girls with the help of his brother-in-law and best friend.

I don't think I've ever seen anything that was referred to as "all white" or "white cast" or "white family"...they use other adjectives (Roseanne was a low-income family, Married with Children was a dysfunctional family) and I assume that's because white is the norm.
I agree with your points and for the most part, I agree with AlGreen's points. Keep in mind though, that white is the norm because over two-thirds of the US population is white. Because of this, it is no surprise that you see mainly white people on TV in a white dominated country.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:57 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
I agree with your points and for the most part, I agree with AlGreen's points. Keep in mind though, that white is the norm because over two-thirds of the US population is white. Because of this, it is no surprise that you see mainly white people on TV in a white dominated country.
I have no problem with this. The problem I have is when whites object to blacks having media directed at them (but open to anyone) to compensate for this obvious gap. There SHOULD be more whites on American media than any other group; but whites should never complain because there are media aimed specifically at blacks. If these people had it their way, there would be no blacks on television or movies, no magazines featuring blacks and, in many cases, no blacks in American history books. Funny thing is, that is how it was for many, many years, and these whites, of course, thought everything was the way it should be.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:00 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Whites DO have their own media. ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CNN, etc........

Old 11-28-2010, 11:11 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Whites DO have their own media. ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CNN, etc........
This argument again? Please. None of these networks are aimed specifically at whites, they do not offer programming intended to be viewed by mostly whites, aside from the fact that whites are the majority. BET offers programming specifically geared toward blacks. That is what we are saying here, if there was a WET, we'd have a major backlash from the black community.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:43 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
This argument again? Please. None of these networks are aimed specifically at whites, they do not offer programming intended to be viewed by mostly whites, aside from the fact that whites are the majority. BET offers programming specifically geared toward blacks. That is what we are saying here, if there was a WET, we'd have a major backlash from the black community.
That's is actually the problem. "mainstream media" see itself as inclusive to everyone. In reality, typically they can't create content that mirrors the larger culture. There is limited ethnic diversity on TV. Forget about the numbers of african-americans on TV. It is rare to see someone Latino, or Asian or Indian is on the WB or USA as a regular part of the cast in an ensemble show.

Let's look at the press coverage for NBC's Undercovers. 90% of it focused on the fact that the stars of the show were black. After reading the articles, I don't even know if it was a good show and barely anything about the plot. It could have easily been framed as a modern "Hart to Hart," but people were too busy focusing on the heritage of the cast.

How on earth did the "Friends" cast navigate NYC without ethnic people?

It would be A-OK to have a "WET" if people fully admitted mainstream media did not really represent the US very well. The reason we need channels like BET and Univision is because many voices aren't seen on network TV.

Personally, I do not watch many of the popular shows on Network TV, and watch a lot more USA. Coincidentally, USA shows seem to have a lot more diversity than the typical NBA/ABC/CBS show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies