Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your views on blacks having their own media?
There's nothing wrong with it 58 33.53%
It's racist 109 63.01%
I don't know 6 3.47%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:29 AM

347 posts, read 695,859 times

Advertisements

On the topic in general, I am not American and I have noticed most shows on mainstream American tv are overwhelmingly white . And movies too. I think it is insulting both to whites and non whites. Non whites could benefit from playing more diverse roles and roles that call for "normal" non descript people. It is also very offensive to whites as it is making the assumption that whites can only relate to another white person as being "normal".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 07:28 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Stop rolling your eyes and try reading what I'm saying instead of just looking at the words. I didn't say Oxygen as being a white channel.

You are complaining because BET's programming is aimed at a black audience.
Well Oxygen's programming is aimed at a female audience.

What's the difference?
The difference is that it's BLACK Entertainment Television and the casting on nearly every show is 100% black. They have little segments like "My black is beautiful" and the like. I see no calls for "diversity" from the ADL and SPLC with BET though. Just goes to show you that no one actually cares about "diversity" in casting as long as the casting is not white.

Also, Oxygen is aimed women all colors. BET is race specific, or in other words, racist. Imagine a network named White Entertainment Television. (Waits for the inevitable calls of "most stations ARE White entertainment") That channel wouldn't be allowed to exist. Al Sharpton and the rest of PC crowd would be marching on the streets in protest. Why the double standard?

Look at the Oscars. People are all riled up about the fact that no blacks are nominated for any major awards. So what? Perhaps the Academy didn't think there were any deserving minorities, oh well. I can't imagine if the reverse were true, no whites nominated, that anyone would have a problem with it. In fact I'm quite sure the Academy would get applauded for it's "diversity." "Diversity" just of course being a buzzword meaning "non-white."

Old 01-27-2011, 07:32 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
The difference is that it's BLACK Entertainment Television and the casting on nearly every show is 100% black. They have little segments like "My black is beautiful" and the like. I see no calls for "diversity" from the ADL and SPLC with BET though. Just goes to show you that no one actually cares about "diversity" in casting as long as the casting is not white.

Also, Oxygen is aimed women all colors. BET is race specific, or in other words, racist. Imagine a network named White Entertainment Television. (Waits for the inevitable calls of "most stations ARE White entertainment") That channel wouldn't be allowed to exist. Al Sharpton and the rest of PC crowd would be marching on the streets in protest. Why the double standard?

Look at the Oscars. People are all riled up about the fact that no blacks are nominated for any major awards. So what? Perhaps the Academy didn't think there were any deserving minorities, oh well. I can't imagine if the reverse were true, no whites nominated, that anyone would have a problem with it. In fact I'm quite sure the Academy would get applauded for it's "diversity." "Diversity" just of course being a buzzword meaning "non-white."
Talk to the white folks who run and own BET. If they want to own a channel that's marketed towards black folks, take it up with them.

Frankly, most adult African Americans that i know don't watch BET. It's a kids channel for the most part.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:33 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:

Quit bellyaching. You don't get it. Why not? Because you don't want to. You're peeing into a gale force wind. You know who you remind me of? Those idiot racist birthers. Like them, you ignore basic facts and continue to spout your twisted agenda.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:46 AM

72 posts, read 100,545 times
I personally don't have a problem with BET and i don't think that its racist, but I wish that we had the BET when I was a kid, shows that uplifted Black people and the like. I don't watch it anymore except on Sundays when Gospel is on, and the plays are on in the afternoon. But to assume the BET is racist, then you have to assume that other channels are geared towards a specific group as well.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:51 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Media is not racist. Media is about selling you stuff and nothing more. They will print or play whatever it is that gets their target audience's (that would be you) panties in a knot to keep you glued to the tube where they barrage you with advertisement. But you're immune to advertising; You're better than that; You have the intellectual high ground and you're nobody's fool..... Sure. You keep telling yourself that as you stare at your house full of crap you never use but were convinced you couldn't live without. Remember that too as you make the payments on a McMansion you can't afford but you had to buy because it has the space you need to store the crap you never use. You look in the mirror and see an angry Black man or fed up White man or whatever you call yourself, But, to the media, you are no color. You are transparent. They see right through you and all they see is a bottom line.

Black, White, Brown, Yellow, Green w Purple stripes..... You all need to quit fighting each other as instructed and take a step back. Your enemy isn't who you thought it was.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:51 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,223 times
Unless there is no specifically "White Media", so Black media is racist.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:16 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
this is coming from a conversation that took place in another forum concerning "reverse racism" (i.e. racism against whites), in which it was stated that having things like television stations, movies, magazines, etc. that are "exclusively" black is contributing to racism in america. this isn't the first time that i've heard this idea, and it still baffles me that people think this way.

...what i'm trying to figure out is what's so wrong about having ways to celebrate and express our own distinct culture? it doesn't mean that we're trying to separate ourselves from the rest of society
I'm not in favor of anything that separates people into special groups because of race. The examples you give above in bold, IMO, are not racist/racism but there are groups that cater to only one race and some even boldly exclude others. It’s the exclusion of others that IMO makes it racist. If an organization focuses on one race such as BET than I would have to ask myself, "does this entertain me? no, but it doesn't exclude me either." Some organizations maliciously exclude other races and that is wrong, that is racist!

Old 01-27-2011, 10:56 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
I did read the thread. No one person on this earth is above or below any other person on this earth.
I'm okay with black having a BET, but I also think its fair for whites to have a right to have a WET...Just sayin'
Tell me why I'm wrong.
How would WET differ from any of the current channels we have now?

Quote:

But Oxygen is aimed at women of all colors. So it's okay for a channel to be aimed at a gender but not a race?

Have any of you people who are protesting the unfairness of BET ever stopped to think that the reason we have that type of channel is because the kind of programming that appeals to black people (although there isn't much on BET that appeals to me these days) isn't offered on the other channels? And when it is offered it doesn't last long because as CD so often likes to point out we're less than 15% of the population so unless white viewers tune in the show is history no matter how many of us like it.

If you want BET to go away then why don't you start writing some letters to the other stations and tell them to add some diversity to their channel line-ups.

I don't know why people have such an issue with BET. I never hear anyone complaining about JET. Or Ebony or Essence or King or Sister to Sister, which are all predominately black publications. They serve the exact same purpose as BET but they don't get any of the flack. I have a feeling if the world it's the word black that pisses people off because TVone is pretty much a cleaned up more mature version of BET but you don't hear anybody talking about how unfair that station is.

Last edited by nat_at772; 01-27-2011 at 11:06 AM..

Old 01-27-2011, 11:03 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,773 times
LOL I never watched or read any Black Media...For some reason it just doesn't interest me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies