Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 06:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I agree with the McDonald's toy ban. We have a duty as people to protect children from corporate misbehaviour. They cannot make such judgments on their own and McDonald's only uses the toys to attract children to food that is horrible for them and will eventually lead to being fat, having heart disease and diabetes. Such places should not be allowed to market to children at all. As for the other stuff, I agree that nobody should be limiting what adults can buy or how long adults can be in a tanning salon.
The toys can do whatever they want to the kids..just remember that it's the adult who pays for it.

What is wrong with a happy meal once per week with a toy inside ?
Punish everyone for those few that think happy meals 7 days a week is a good thing ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 06:35 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Sunday May 5, 1996: N.Y. Law;No Spitting!

If the etiquette police had a most-wanted list, spitters would surely be on it. In New York, however, public expectoration is not merely a crime of manners; it's against the law. Next Sunday, Mother's Day, is the 100th anniversary of the Board of Health's prohibition. Adopted to prevent the spread of disease, the law hasn't changed much in a century. Sidewalks, public transit and buildings (floors, walls, stairways) are still taboo targets. What has changed is enforcement. Could a hawker do hard time nowadays? Not likely, says Officer Edward Bonny, an eight-year veteran of the New York Police Department's Transit Bureau who has never issued a $25 summons for spitting. And no judge in recent memory has imposed the maximum 10-day jail sentence. Even so, what would Mother say?
http://www.nytimes.com/1996/05/05/ma...-spitting.html

So you see OP, there is nothing new about laws against spitting in public places and in fact I'm surprised that this law does not exist in all cities. There's good resaon for the law, considering the fact that there are morons out there that think that others want to step in their wad of spit. Ever hear of tissues? As gross as it sounds, I have actually and unfortunately been witness to people blowing their damn nose onto the sidewalk...talk about nauseating! I wish the law was enforced and the person that thinks that it should not be, should spit into the wind.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 11-11-2010 at 07:28 PM..

Old 11-11-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

If the etiquette police had a most-wanted list, spitters would surely be on it. In New York, however, public expectoration is not merely a crime of manners; it's against the law. Next Sunday, Mother's Day, is the 100th anniversary of the Board of Health's prohibition. Adopted to prevent the spread of disease, the law hasn't changed much in a century. Sidewalks, public transit and buildings (floors, walls, stairways) are still taboo targets. What has changed is enforcement. Could a hawker do hard time nowadays? Not likely, says Officer Edward Bonny, an eight-year veteran of the New York Police Department's Transit Bureau who has never issued a $25 summons for spitting. And no judge in recent memory has imposed the maximum 10-day jail sentence. Even so, what would Mother say?
Sunday May 5, 1996: N.Y. Law;No Spitting! - New York Times

So you see OP, there is nothing new about laws against spitting in public places and in fact I'm surprised that this law does not exist in all cities. There's good resaon for the law, considering the fact that there are morons out there that think that others want to step in their wad of spit. Ever here of tissues? As gross as it sounds, I have actually and unfortunately been witness to people blowing their damn nose onto the sidewalk...talk about nauseating! I wish the law was enforced and the person that thinks that it should not be, should spit into the wind.
LOL..I remember growing up in NYC and seeing the signs.."No Spitting" and we'd spit in the street and wait to see what happened.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:46 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
With no end in sight and not enough people fighting back.

Some examples:

Seattle is considering a law against spitting in a park. (Can you visualize this. Two guys in jail. One says, "I'm in for killing a dude while I robbed a gas station, what are you in for. Second guy "I spit on the grass in a park"....)

You can't go to a tanning salon more than once in a 24 hour period.

McDonalds can't give kids a toy with a meal in San Fran.

Washington State is banning alcoholic energy drinks (Are they so dumb to think people wont buy both drinks and mix their own?)

The list of stupid laws that take away our liberty and freedom to live our lives as we wish is growing. It's totally out of control.....
Typical fake libertarian rant. These odd ball regulations are few and far between. None of them effect you in the least.

What you truly don't understand is when you bad mouth government and call for the lessening of government regulations you invite corporations to come in a fill the void.

Your ideology is absurd. Many nations in the EU have governments 3 times the size our ours in terms of their GDP. They have higher standards of living, less corrupt government, universal health care, more time off with their families and the same levels of unemployment.

The only way the right gets away with these crazy ideas is that so many American are barely educated and ignorant.....Its sad.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

Sunday May 5, 1996: N.Y. Law;No Spitting! - New York Times

So you see OP, there is nothing new about laws against spitting in public places and in fact I'm surprised that this law does not exist in all cities. There's good resaon for the law, considering the fact that there are morons out there that think that others want to step in their wad of spit. Ever here of tissues? As gross as it sounds, I have actually and unfortunately been witness to people blowing their damn nose onto the sidewalk...talk about nauseating! I wish the law was enforced and the person that thinks that it should not be, should spit into the wind.
Here ya go..circa 1920 NYC:
RARE NYC Enamel Subway Sign - No Spitting - circa 1920
http://www.worthpoint.com/pmimages/images1/1/0107/07/1_b9695f463f64f575f37223c47adf5110.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-11-2010, 07:33 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Quite the collectible. I'm fairly sure that the law came to be due to massive amounts of Tuberculosis outbreaks. As if we don't have diseases today to worry about.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:45 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I agree with the McDonald's toy ban. We have a duty as people to protect children from corporate misbehaviour. They cannot make such judgments on their own and McDonald's only uses the toys to attract children to food that is horrible for them and will eventually lead to being fat, having heart disease and diabetes. Such places should not be allowed to market to children at all. As for the other stuff, I agree that nobody should be limiting what adults can buy or how long adults can be in a tanning salon.
Isn't that what parents are for? Are you saying that government bureaucrats know better than you do what is good for your children?

You missed the point entirely. The point is that we should treat adults like adults and let them make their own choices. Parents should be able to make choices for their children.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:03 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Isn't that what parents are for? Are you saying that government bureaucrats know better than you do what is good for your children?

You missed the point entirely. The point is that we should treat adults like adults and let them make their own choices. Parents should be able to make choices for their children.
The argument is that if we are going to have public healthcare for kids and people in general, then we have the responsibility to limit tax payer liability by preventing advertising thats aimed at children pushing fatty foods.

Now, I disagree with that for numerous reasons, but that is the argument.

I understand it, its not based on some liberal ideology. Its limiting government and therefore tax payer liability.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:13 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The argument is that if we are going to have public healthcare for kids and people in general, then we have the responsibility to limit tax payer liability by preventing advertising thats aimed at children pushing fatty foods.

Now, I disagree with that for numerous reasons, but that is the argument.

I understand it, its not based on some liberal ideology. Its limiting government and therefore tax payer liability.
Thank you.

And as you must be well aware, Obamacare legislation is the direct opposite example of "limited government".

Old 11-12-2010, 11:52 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Not even counting the local ones, but there are over 1300 federal agencies staffed by bureaucrats whom are not elected and are making policy, so the whole "vote em out" concept is a bit naive.

It's amazing how many people ignore this. For example, how many illegals are being given citizenship behind closed doors as we speak? If they can't get it through congress they sneak it through the back door. People turn a blind eye until it affects them directly.

It seems ridiculous to me that people get upset about such inconsequential things these days. Happy meals aren't sold to people that hold the purse strings. Parents decide where to puchase food for their kids and if they choose Mc Donalds that should be their perogative.

BTW, I am allergic to perfume and the dyes used in many fabrics. Should we outlaw clothing and fragrance? Nevermind, with the new obesity outbreak I'll take responsiblity for my own problems...I value my eyesight LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies