U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2010, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Austin
29,554 posts, read 16,523,038 times
Reputation: 8093

Advertisements

With no end in sight and not enough people fighting back.

Some examples:

Seattle is considering a law against spitting in a park. (Can you visualize this. Two guys in jail. One says, "I'm in for killing a dude while I robbed a gas station, what are you in for. Second guy "I spit on the grass in a park"....)

You can't go to a tanning salon more than once in a 24 hour period.

McDonalds can't give kids a toy with a meal in San Fran.

Washington State is banning alcoholic energy drinks (Are they so dumb to think people wont buy both drinks and mix their own?)

The list of stupid laws that take away our liberty and freedom to live our lives as we wish is growing. It's totally out of control.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2010, 04:37 PM
 
50,782 posts, read 26,806,977 times
Reputation: 15916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
With no end in sight and not enough people fighting back.

Some examples:

Seattle is considering a law against spitting in a park. (Can you visualize this. Two guys in jail. One says, "I'm in for killing a dude while I robbed a gas station, what are you in for. Second guy "I spit on the grass in a park"....)

You can't go to a tanning salon more than once in a 24 hour period.

McDonalds can't give kids a toy with a meal in San Fran.

Washington State is banning alcoholic energy drinks (Are they so dumb to think people wont buy both drinks and mix their own?)

The list of stupid laws that take away our liberty and freedom to live our lives as we wish is growing. It's totally out of control.....
So what? If they make so many ridiculous laws then VOTE THEM OUT and put in people who'll overturn those laws. Obviously, they're doing these things because their constituents in majority numbers want this stuff.

That is, unless you can prove that they took power by military coup and have declared themselves to be dictators who'll hold their offices for life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Palm Springs, CA
26,529 posts, read 25,052,067 times
Reputation: 7740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
With no end in sight and not enough people fighting back.
If the people don't like the laws, they're free to take steps to change them, whether that means electing new officials or challenging the laws in court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,248 posts, read 21,349,027 times
Reputation: 3587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
With no end in sight and not enough people fighting back.

Some examples:

Seattle is considering a law against spitting in a park. (Can you visualize this. Two guys in jail. One says, "I'm in for killing a dude while I robbed a gas station, what are you in for. Second guy "I spit on the grass in a park"....)

You can't go to a tanning salon more than once in a 24 hour period.

McDonalds can't give kids a toy with a meal in San Fran.

Washington State is banning alcoholic energy drinks (Are they so dumb to think people wont buy both drinks and mix their own?)

The list of stupid laws that take away our liberty and freedom to live our lives as we wish is growing. It's totally out of control.....
I agree with the McDonald's toy ban. We have a duty as people to protect children from corporate misbehaviour. They cannot make such judgments on their own and McDonald's only uses the toys to attract children to food that is horrible for them and will eventually lead to being fat, having heart disease and diabetes. Such places should not be allowed to market to children at all. As for the other stuff, I agree that nobody should be limiting what adults can buy or how long adults can be in a tanning salon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 21,091,543 times
Reputation: 8620
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So what? If they make so many ridiculous laws then VOTE THEM OUT and put in people who'll overturn those laws. Obviously, they're doing these things because their constituents in majority numbers want this stuff.

That is, unless you can prove that they took power by military coup and have declared themselves to be dictators who'll hold their offices for life.
Thats not the way the system is working as of late.

You get two main choices to vote for.

1. Tweedle Dee

or

2. Tweedle Dum

One side will give you 90% of what you want, then take away 10% of your freedom. Then the other party tells you they want your freedom back, you vote them in, they don't deliver, and take away another 10% of your freedom.

Sooner or later, you are left with no freedom, and SOL. The system has been rigged so that if the R or the D party don't support you, its damned near impossible to win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 05:58 PM
 
19,025 posts, read 22,266,621 times
Reputation: 7326
I agree with that Memphis. I sort of have the idea it's based on controll, and what's better than having everyine employeed by the govt? We just about are now.

When it ends everyone will work for the Govt, and any one who does not will be a criminal.

The Govt will tell us when to get up, what work must be done, how to get it done, when to go home and and everything else. To get marrried you will need to draw a permit and again to have kids. Some people will never see that permit.

Probably we will wear Govt issure gray clothing, unisex, and no more will local color or flavor exist. New England will be a dead match to life in Cali or the other way around.

Already it is much like that where ever we go now. I live in NH and rode my motorcycle to Cal and back. Once I hit mass it all looked the same other than weather all the way to cal and back.

As to Micky Dee's I consider that crap total poision and can't understand why anyone eats there for any reason. I ate at them a few times and every time I did the next day i felt like I had a bad hang over. If I have a bad hang over i want a much better reason than eatting at any Micky Dee's. My wife took a chocolate shake and dumped it in a oven pan and then she set it on fire!

Neither of us has stepped inside that joint in better than a decade. Probably smoking is safer than eatting anything they serve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 06:02 PM
 
465 posts, read 378,491 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So what? If they make so many ridiculous laws then VOTE THEM OUT and put in people who'll overturn those laws. Obviously, they're doing these things because their constituents in majority numbers want this stuff.

That is, unless you can prove that they took power by military coup and have declared themselves to be dictators who'll hold their offices for life.
That would work well, if voting in this country was legitamite and election weren't rigged.

But that's not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 06:04 PM
 
29,805 posts, read 16,487,495 times
Reputation: 13856
Not even counting the local ones, but there are over 1300 federal agencies staffed by bureaucrats whom are not elected and are making policy, so the whole "vote em out" concept is a bit naive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 06:05 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
4,883 posts, read 7,328,476 times
Reputation: 1903
The OP is dumb. The proposed Seattle ordinance proposes making it a ticketable offense to spit in public places so a cop can effectively write you a littering ticket but you won't go to jail. I humbly suggest RoadKing get his news from reputable sources instead of questionable blogs which get most of the facts wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 06:11 PM
 
29,805 posts, read 16,487,495 times
Reputation: 13856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
The OP is dumb. The proposed Seattle ordinance proposes making it a ticketable offense to spit in public places so a cop can effectively write you a littering ticket but you won't go to jail. I humbly suggest RoadKing get his news from reputable sources instead of questionable blogs which get most of the facts wrong.
Wow so the whole premise is false because you don't like the source the o.p.used for one example?
uh huh, if you say so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:00 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top