Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 11:49 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,923,469 times

Advertisements

No. You paint the Germans in a pollyannaish view. That is not the accurate history of Germany. Germany had a history ,prior to The Holocaust, of being racist and bigoted against Jews and other minority groups.

You live in a small town of 5,000. Your knowledge and experiences do not represent the millions of minorities who have experienced otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
So what's your point? That argument has been used billions of times to reinforce some notion that all or most white people are racist. It doesn't hold water anymore. Hitler was one man that had the majority of the military under his spell. Most Nazis only did what they did because if they didn't carry out their orders, they would have been executed by their superiors.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:51 PM

Race is not a social construct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Race is a social construct... nothing more nothing less. It was not used as a means of subjugating others until the European invasion of the Americas. This was when the connection between "non whites" and "savages" became formed.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:52 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,824,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
because whites still hold 99% of the power in this country and they have a very long history of racism (if not outright murder) against native americans, mexican americans, blacks, etc.
The native Americans are the people who founded this country. They are its natural born citizens.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:53 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Have you opened a history book? Does Adolf Hitler ring a bell? Does Dr. Josef Mengele ring any bells?
Does Idi Amin ring a bell?

Idi Amin Dada (c.1925[A] – 16 August 2003) was a military leader and President of Uganda from 1971 to 1979. Amin joined the British Colonial regiment, the King'S African Rifles, in 1946, and eventually held the rank of Major General and Commander of the Ugandan Army prior to taking power in the military coup of January 1971, deposing Milton Obote. He later promoted himself to Field Marshal while he was the head of state.

Amin's rule was characterized by Human rights abuses, political repression, ethnic persecution, extrajudicial killings, nepotism, corruption and gross economic mismanagement.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:53 PM

I'm really shocked and astounded by his pollyanna and parochial views.
He thinks the "real world" happens in a town of 5,000 people lol.

Quote:
This is exactly why job discrimination exists. Why do you assume that the minority isn't as qualified as the white person? Unless the currently minority-run fortune 500 (the key word being fortune 500) are all crashing and burning, where's your proof? You just unwittingly stated the real reason why whites control a disproportionate amount of the businesses; our culture tells us that white people are more qualified simply by being white. You're not even white but you were still comfortable saying this...

Old 11-11-2010, 11:54 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,912,698 times
Quote:
You live in a town of 5,000? lol. Wow, you are sheltered and obviously clueless. You continue to have a parochial and pedantic view on this extremely intricate and expansive issue.

The University I earned my master's degree from had 15,000 students. Students who studied there came from various nations and states. It was an excellent university and I did not encounter discrimination. However, I have experienced it at other colleges and towns before.

Let me help you understand. The social system in your town of 5,000 doesn't represent Chicago, Miami, New York, Dallas, Houston, Austin, Little Rock, New Orleans, Birmingham, Boston, Flint, Detroit, etc.

Your town represents the people who live there. And according to you they are very friendly and not prejudiced. Good for you.

It is not like your town in other cities. Cities and towns are not uniform and homogeneous. The fact that you want to argue about this is asinine. And even more asinine is that your claim that people go out looking for racism or homophobia. Nobody does that. Nobody wants to be without a job, without shelter, without friends, without support, without love, without sex, etc.

And it's not about words. It's about treatment, oppression, manipulation, etc. Something you've yet to encounter. Consider yourself blessed.
You misread my post. I LIVED in a town of 5,000 and I also lived in a city of 190,000 people called Carolina, Puerto Rico which is part of the tri-city area of Carolina-San Juan-Bayamón of 2.5 millions. And I presently live in York, PA which has 100,000 people. I meant to say I personally encountered no racism in the town of 5,000, nor in York, nor in Carolina or San Juan. Ironically I confronted the most racism in Puerto Rico, which was mostly directed at Dominicans. I still stand by my argument, that it's liberal areas that try to promote "tolerance and diversity" are where most bigotry occurs. And bigotry amongst different minority groups is at a high level, especially in places like New York, L.A., and Chicago. It's common in larger cities for people to self-segregate themselves based on race and the larger the city, the worse it seems.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:56 PM

Nothing has been as systematic, contrived, and controlled as what Hitler and The Nazis did to the Jews and other ethnic minorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post

Idi Amin Dada (c.1925[A] – 16 August 2003) was a military leader and President of Uganda from 1971 to 1979. Amin joined the British Colonial regiment, the King'S African Rifles, in 1946, and eventually held the rank of Major General and Commander of the Ugandan Army prior to taking power in the military coup of January 1971, deposing Milton Obote. He later promoted himself to Field Marshal while he was the head of state.

Amin's rule was characterized by Human rights abuses, political repression, ethnic persecution, extrajudicial killings, nepotism, corruption and gross economic mismanagement.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:59 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,912,698 times
Quote:
Nothing has been as systematic, contrived, and controlled as what Hitler and The Nazis did to the Jews and other ethnic minorities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post

Oh and don't forget the Darfur genocide in Sudan, caused by the adherents of the Religion of Peace and Tolerance, ethnically cleansing the Christian Black south

Old 11-12-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
I call you should actually try reading a history book sometime. In ancient western civilization, racism was NOT a hot topic; nationality and religious discrimination were. It is true that xenophobia has been around forever. However, there is nothing in history that we have discovered up to this point that points to skin color even being a conscious issue up until the 1400's. Race is a social construct... nothing more nothing less. It was not used as a means of subjugating others until the European invasion of the Americas. This was when the connection between "non whites" and "savages" became formed.
I've been a history buff all of my life Mr. Flava. Maybe you should come out of that Afrocentric bubble that you obviously live in and learn some real history because you are dead wrong. Ancient Romans were calling their barbarian neighbors "savages" (from Latin silvāticus: meaning of the woods, wild) long before the conquest of the Americas.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Oh and don't forget the Darfur genocide in Sudan, caused by the adherents of the Religion of Peace and Tolerance, ethnically cleansing the Christian Black south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.