U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2010, 09:26 PM
 
Location: back in podunk Ocala, FL
5,625 posts, read 1,945,980 times
Reputation: 943
Default Why are white people the only ones accused of being racist?

In my time on CD, I've seen an incredible number of black people calling white people racist. I've also seen issues amongst Hispanic posters and whites. Do people not realize that racism goes both ways?

I personally am quite tired of being told I'm racist when trying to address the facts about minority communities, or just for the fact that I'm a conservative who tends to vote Republican.

Facts are facts and cannot be disputed. I don't treat people any differently based on their skin color. The only time I treat people differently is when they do behaviors that are unacceptable. Until people get it through their heads that it's less about race and more about lifestyle, race relations cannot change. That goes for any race or ethnic group, but it seems like white people are accused of hindering this transition more than any other group.

I want to know why people only talk about how whites are racist when other groups do it as well, perhaps more so, and for some reason, among minorities, it's acceptable to discuss white people in a negative stereotypical manner.

 
Old 11-11-2010, 09:37 PM
 
Location: Here
1,297 posts, read 702,016 times
Reputation: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
In my time on CD, I've seen an incredible number of black people calling white people racist. I've also seen issues amongst Hispanic posters and whites. Do people not realize that racism goes both ways?

I personally am quite tired of being told I'm racist when trying to address the facts about minority communities, or just for the fact that I'm a conservative who tends to vote Republican.

Facts are facts and cannot be disputed. I don't treat people any differently based on their skin color. The only time I treat people differently is when they do behaviors that are unacceptable. Until people get it through their heads that it's less about race and more about lifestyle, race relations cannot change. That goes for any race or ethnic group, but it seems like white people are accused of hindering this transition more than any other group.

I want to know why people only talk about how whites are racist when other groups do it as well, perhaps more so, and for some reason, among minorities, it's acceptable to discuss white people in a negative stereotypical manner.
Well, as a rule I don't think black folks get away with stereotyping whites folks. However I do think that there are times when some blacks folks might proclaim some level of animosity towards white folks, and after stating some allegedly valid reason for the animosity, are given a pass and are not confronted. But the reality is, an animosity or discrimination of an individual based on race is in fact racism. There is no valid reason. None. Not past slavery, not family teachings, not negative personal experience. And the racism should be confronted.
 
Old 11-11-2010, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Cherokee Nation
26,115 posts, read 9,444,518 times
Reputation: 5748
To play on resentment and white guilt of their great, great, great, great grand parents.
 
Old 11-11-2010, 09:40 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 4,249,809 times
Reputation: 1854
white people are definitely not the only ones who can be racist.
 
Old 11-11-2010, 09:41 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 4,249,809 times
Reputation: 1854
but i no longer want to hear "whites" talk about what goes on in "minority communities" if they're not doing anything to help
 
Old 11-11-2010, 09:52 PM
 
9,430 posts, read 6,820,602 times
Reputation: 2302
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
but i no longer want to hear "whites" talk about what goes on in "minority communities" if they're not doing anything to help
To a certain level, you have a good point. Society does not operate in silos, and you can't isolate one part of society and section that off as though people are not intertwined. However, with all the issues in society, and the responsibility to take care of our own familes, it's impossible to help with everything that requires aid. That should not preclude people from expressing concern. I agree though that there is a qualitative difference between a legitimate expression of concern and a lecturing tone of "you people."
 
Old 11-11-2010, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles California
10,366 posts, read 8,555,274 times
Reputation: 4551
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
In my time on CD, I've seen an incredible number of black people calling white people racist. I've also seen issues amongst Hispanic posters and whites. Do people not realize that racism goes both ways?

I personally am quite tired of being told I'm racist when trying to address the facts about minority communities, or just for the fact that I'm a conservative who tends to vote Republican.

Facts are facts and cannot be disputed. I don't treat people any differently based on their skin color. The only time I treat people differently is when they do behaviors that are unacceptable. Until people get it through their heads that it's less about race and more about lifestyle, race relations cannot change. That goes for any race or ethnic group, but it seems like white people are accused of hindering this transition more than any other group.

I want to know why people only talk about how whites are racist when other groups do it as well, perhaps more so, and for some reason, among minorities, it's acceptable to discuss white people in a negative stereotypical manner.
because whites still hold 99% of the power in this country and they have a very long history of racism (if not outright murder) against native americans, mexican americans, blacks, etc.
 
Old 11-11-2010, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Terra firma
1,374 posts, read 738,810 times
Reputation: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
but i no longer want to hear "whites" talk about what goes on in "minority communities" if they're not doing anything to help
Help yourself. It works for us.
 
Old 11-11-2010, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
23,424 posts, read 18,533,752 times
Reputation: 10977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
To a certain level, you have a good point. Society does not operate in silos, and you can't isolate one part of society and section that off as though people are not intertwined. However, with all the issues in society, and the responsibility to take care of our own familes, it's impossible to help with everything that requires aid. That should not preclude people from expressing concern. I agree though that there is a qualitative difference between a legitimate expression of concern and a lecturing tone of "you people."
Exactly. I have no problem with whites, blacks, Hispanics, Asians or Klingons discussing how certain individuals act a certain way, make bad choices, do idiotic things, etc. I do have a serious problem when people talk about how these individuals "make blacks look bad," etc. I am an individual, and there is nothing someone in the ghetto does (or anywhere else, for that matter), that I should be taken to task for. When a segment of Americans does bad, idiotic things, etc., etc., it has an impact on all of us, and we all should want to deal with it rather than foisting it off on "the other."
 
Old 11-11-2010, 10:02 PM
 
Location: Terra firma
1,374 posts, read 738,810 times
Reputation: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
In my time on CD, I've seen an incredible number of black people calling white people racist. I've also seen issues amongst Hispanic posters and whites. Do people not realize that racism goes both ways?

I personally am quite tired of being told I'm racist when trying to address the facts about minority communities, or just for the fact that I'm a conservative who tends to vote Republican.

Facts are facts and cannot be disputed. I don't treat people any differently based on their skin color. The only time I treat people differently is when they do behaviors that are unacceptable. Until people get it through their heads that it's less about race and more about lifestyle, race relations cannot change. That goes for any race or ethnic group, but it seems like white people are accused of hindering this transition more than any other group.

I want to know why people only talk about how whites are racist when other groups do it as well, perhaps more so, and for some reason, among minorities, it's acceptable to discuss white people in a negative stereotypical manner.
Well, after all, whites invented racism. Didn't you know that? It's apparently our only contribution to world culture and humanity in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top