Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are whites at large embarassed by being accused of discrimination (race, ethnicity, national origin,
It's very humiliating and embarassing. I would want to make things right or amends if possible. 3 4.62%
I'd be concerned but nothing more. 6 9.23%
No feelings about it what so ever. 19 29.23%
I do not care what minorities think, feel, perceive, or experience. 15 23.08%
I would feel good. I am okay with discrimination because I believe negative stereotypes are true. I prefer my own race and culture. 5 7.69%
Other thoughts, feelings, opinions, and ideas that I'd like to share on the forum. 17 26.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:57 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,777,875 times

Advertisements

I think I would have voted I don't care but that's not entirely true. Claims of discrimination should have no sting if they aren't true but all too often I hear claims of discrimination masking the negation of personal responsibility. It's a crutch and it's not serving a function beyond atrophying the muscles of true empowerment. False accusations betray the accuser's character more than anything else for me. If we were to keep ourselves in the business of being fair with one another, I'm obliged to blast the woman who falsely accuses rape. Not because I endorse rape, but because the wrongful accusation perpetuates injustice for all. Equal justice, equal responsibility to ALL (not just my pet issues because I happen to be female). Now fill in that same blank for any special interest group/ minority with a given fill in the blank issue... bottom line is it ought to be consistent with law. When it's not we're only trading one tyrannical swing of a pendulum for another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 12:08 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
How is it racist to pass along a funny email? I do not associate black people with being pimps and prostitutes, so I do not think it's a racist thing to send a funny photoshopped picture along. Maybe you're the one who is, like I said, LOOKING FOR RACISM in everything and that's why you would assume Obama and Michelle being dressed up as pimp and prostitute would be a racist thing to do. When I think of a pimp, I think of Kramer from Seinfeld in the technicolor dream coat, a hat he found on the street and a cane, walking down the streets of NYC. In that episode, mind you, there were WHITE hookers doing tricks in cars being parked in a pay lot.

It is that some whites are supposedly racist. That's what the thread implies. All whites are racist and should feel guilty for it. That is simply not true and a pretty racist thing to post.
Name one White American politician that has been depicted as a pimp while his wife has been depicted as a prostitute for the sake of humor or otherwise?

The fact you didn't find Carl Paladino's e-mail racially offensive is a testament to your own insensitivity about the issue.

Also based on your comments here I would consider you are one of the last people I’d use to determine if something as racist or not. Plenty of people besides myself found Carl Paladino’s actions racially insensitive and offensive. It’s one of the many reasons that the people of New York found him not worthy to hold the office of Governor of the State of New York.

I for one don't think all White Americans are racist. Some are racist, some are racially insensitive, some just don't give a damn and others truly take the time and effort to understand the history and culture of other people.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
You're taking it out of context.
The problem is your entire post was exactly in the same context.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Weak. You're trying to negate the legitimacy of the idea expressed in my post with a cheap one liner.

When is the last time that this actually happened to you? I haven't heard that word uttered in anger in decades. White people are so afraid of it that they won't even say the word in third person situations where they are just repeating what somebody else said. You yourself used the "N" word euphemism in your post.

Come on. Deal with the idea that I presented. Why is it that blacks will never acknowledge the phenomena in question when whites confront them with an aspect of their behavior that is not flattering? It's both frustrating and extremely annoying that blacks can never admit that they are sometimes to blame for the problems that befall them.
Some Black Americans are lazy.

Some White Americans are lazy.

Some Black Americans aren't educated and can't find good jobs.

Some White Americans are lazy and can't find good jobs.

Some Black Americans commit crimes that put them in jail or prison.

Some White Americans commit crimes that put them in jail or prison.

The issue is that many percieve if a White Ameriacan is lazy, isn't educated and can't find a good job, or commits a crine and lands in jail then he or she is just a person who isn't trying to do a lot of positive in their lives. If a Black American does that same thing somehow the entire race gets stigmatize by that person's behavior.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:31 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,777,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The problem is your entire post was exactly in the same context.
The other problem is every post she makes is the same context repeated to infinity and beyond. CD has an abundance of blogger bots worshiping talking heads.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
I love those options! Is there a third choice? How about...we feel that accusations of racism are the cause of political gain. What was the last real racism that was covered by the media. I guess that would be the black panthers threatening white voters...oh wait...their black, no racism there.
I guess you don't get out much.

Rush Limbaugh suggest Rep. Clyburn take the position of 'Driving Miss Nancy' - National Political Buzz | Examiner.com

Old 11-17-2010, 12:38 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,124 times
Quote:
Some are racist, some are racially insensitive, some just don't give a damn and others truly take the time and effort to understand the history and culture of other people.
this is the misconception and the lie, that it takes so much "effort" when it really doesn't. it's really code for not wanting to exercise basic courtesy and 'do and say what i want'.

i have traveled to many countries and everyone knows how to use basic courtesy as well as identify what is rude or not. there will be some customs that will differ but people are not that stupid and generally know, even if one makes a mistake, whether it was intentional to be disrespectful or flippant or it's an honestly out of ignorance.

people for the most part are the same when it comes to general courtesy and respond positively to people that are at least not offensive as long as you are not trying to come off arrogant. unfortunately, a lot of people do this with a pretense of innocence.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:48 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Some Black Americans are lazy.

Some White Americans are lazy.

Some Black Americans aren't educated and can't find good jobs.

Some White Americans are lazy and can't find good jobs.

Some Black Americans commit crimes that put them in jail or prison.

Some White Americans commit crimes that put them in jail or prison.

The issue is that many percieve if a White Ameriacan is lazy, isn't educated and can't find a good job, or commits a crine and lands in jail then he or she is just a person who isn't trying to do a lot of positive in their lives. If a Black American does that same thing somehow the entire race gets stigmatize by that person's behavior.
Right, and this also presents another inequality that I'm sure has never crossed your mind: When a white American hits rock bottom he has nobody else to blame but himself and everybody knows it. It's simple really: life is tough and he made poor decisions and that's that.

However, when the same thing happens to a black American he will go on and on about "the man" holding him down, being a victim of society etc. etc. He will then scour the prison library looking for books by Elijah Muhammad, Chancellor Williams and other Afrocentric revisionist historian myth makers and descend even further into the madness that got him in trouble in the first place.

And the never ending story continues.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
The other problem is every post she makes is the same context repeated to infinity and beyond. CD has an abundance of blogger bots worshiping talking heads.
People who are racist or racially insensitive sometimes aren't even aware of their actions. This is especially true if they live in environments where they have limited contacts with people of different races or different cultures, don't have friends of different races or cultures, or don't live in places with different races or cultures. Since their thinking is accepted by people that look like them, act like them, think like them, live like them and in some cases worship like them their thinking becomes the social norm.

People who are racist or racially insensitive sometimes aren't even aware of their actions. This is especially true if they live in environments where they have limited contacts with people of different races or different cultures, don't have friends of different races or cultures, or don't live in places with different races or cultures. Since their thinking is accepted by people that look like them, act like them, think like them, live like them and in some cases worship like them their thinking becomes the social norm.

There are others KNOW they are racist or racially insensitive and they cling to these behaviors based on stereotypes, ignorance, fear and hatred and because racism and racial insensitivity is promoted, endorsed and encouraged by the people they live with, go to church with or work with. When racism is used like this it is unifying force and it has political benefits.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:00 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,124 times
Quote:
There are others KNOW they are racist or racially insensitive and they cling to these behaviors based on stereotypes, ignorance, fear and hatred and because racism and racial insensitivity is promoted, endorsed and encouraged by the people they live with, go to church with or work with. When racism is used like this it is unifying force and it has political benefits.
bingo. i would say the ones who pretend that they are burdened with or complain about "political correctness" usually fall more in this category. i notice the same complain on known racist forums where the ones who complain about it most, tend to be the ones who desire to use slurs and say anything they want at all times and anywhere. in short, they want to be rude with impunity.

how i know that their complaint or 'it's so hard and i'm constantly bothered' act is disingenous is because in REAL LIFE, all one has to do is just NOT spew slurs or cause conflict and just use basic courtesy and go about their business like everyone else. no one is going up to people demanding some untoward level of "political correctness" as been exaggerated. there might be some issues such as with immigration or the border etc that has caused some legitimate complaints or unrealistic expectations on the part of some immigrants or illegals but that's largely separate issue.

Last edited by rory00; 11-17-2010 at 01:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies