Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 02:46 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellwater View Post
I agree. They should leave morals, religeon, and other opinions to the parents and just stop the behavior.
All they are doing here is teaching kids not to bully harass those who are different. Its sickening that some people are so filled up with venom and hate to those that are different than they are, that they have problems with their kids being taught not to bully or harass those who are different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 03:00 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
I agree. They should leave morals, religeon, and other opinions to the parents and just stop the behavior.
All the programs I've seen don't get into the moral or religious issues. They leave that to the parents. But they do try to head off possible violence and harassment. Why must the schools only be in a reactionary mode, particularly when they have already seen the results of ignoring the issue. I would prefer them to be proactive in creating a safe environment for kids to learn. By the time you are dealing with the actions of a bully or other harassment then most likely is at least one kid who has already been victimized.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:12 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
All they are doing here is teaching kids not to bully harass those who are different. Its sickening that some people are so filled up with venom and hate to those that are different than they are, that they have problems with their kids being taught not to bully or harass those who are different.
Smash, I think most of us here are in agreement that schools should not allow bullying or harassment. The schools need to deal with the BEHAVIOR of bullying; not try to change the values of the students. The underlying motives don't matter. We live in an imperfect world. Some parents will teach their children to treat all people civilly and their kids will; other parents will not teach their children to treat all people civilly and the kids won't; and some parents will teach their kids to treat all people civilly and the kids won't. Human beings are not perfect. Life isn't perfect. But, what the schools can do is to establish rules of conduct and consistently enforce them so that if a student BEHAVES badly toward another student, that student will face consequences; ie. the school will protect the students from bad behavior.

Here is a clip from one of the movies that the school is making students watch to stop bullying. It is NOT telling students what behaviors will or will not be tolerated in school and what the consequences will be. (That, I think, would be a good thing.) Instead, the film is teaching the students that all types of sexual orientation;gay, bisexual,cross-dressing is all normal. Now, some may agree with these values, but many others don't agree. This does not give these people the permission to "bully" those who have different values. Behavior must still be civilized and that is what the school should focus on and enforce. The school should not be trying to force values on the students.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcAGkSFMG9A

Old 11-16-2010, 03:36 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
The program and dispute over it stemmed from one out lesbian who complained of harrassment from teachers and staff. The article makes no mention of any other type of bullying or problems at the school. Just one girl who complained of harrassment from teachers and staff. Then the ACLU stepped in and said the whole school district including staff and students in elementary, middle and high school must undergo this "antibullying program," including the watching of the videos. Sounds like a test case to me. I know there is a huge push for this to be mandated at all schools across the country, including private schools. Letters were mailed to all schools a week or two ago spelling out this exact program to be mandated at any school who has even one c/o bullying.
How did the ACLU step in and mandate something? The ACLU is not a branch of the government. The ACLU is a lawyer organization. It has no authority over the school system. If the courts mandated this program, then the courts are responsible, not the ACLU. Letters were mailed to all schools....where? All schools in California? All schools in the United States? All schools....where? Do you have independent corroboration of your assertion?

Old 11-16-2010, 03:52 PM

243 posts, read 274,768 times
Quote:
So what if I am? I've never understood why anyone is concerned with how complete strangers feel about them on the net or in public. Or why they feel the need to impose their views on others. Total hypocracy it looks like to me considering how yall feel about views different from yours being imposed on yall.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
How did the ACLU step in and mandate something? The ACLU is not a branch of the government. The ACLU is a lawyer organization. It has no authority over the school system. If the courts mandated this program, then the courts are responsible, not the ACLU. Letters were mailed to all schools....where? All schools in California? All schools in the United States? All schools....where? Do you have independent corroboration of your assertion?
Lawyers are the main problem of this country.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
All the programs I've seen don't get into the moral or religious issues. They leave that to the parents. But they do try to head off possible violence and harassment. Why must the schools only be in a reactionary mode, particularly when they have already seen the results of ignoring the issue. I would prefer them to be proactive in creating a safe environment for kids to learn. By the time you are dealing with the actions of a bully or other harassment then most likely is at least one kid who has already been victimized.
Because this is not about bullying. This is just an excuse to shove views on kids. And they have no business doing that. Besides that there are a million reasons a kid can be bullied. Are they going to make videos about them all?

Old 11-16-2010, 04:02 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
So what if I am? I've never understood why anyone is concerned with how complete strangers feel about them on the net or in public. Or why they feel the need to impose their views on others. Total hypocracy it looks like to me considering how yall feel about views different from yours being imposed on yall.
Its not about imposing views on others. Its about teaching kids not to bully and harass those who are different from them. This really is what the whole thing is about. And the fact some people have a problem teaching kids not to bully or harass those who are different is utterly mind boggling and just plain sad.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:09 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/lis...gue-201010.pdf

The above letter was mailed out by the U.S. Dept. of Educ. Civil Rights Office in Oct. 2010. Sent to all public schools across the country.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Its not about imposing views on others. Its about teaching kids not to bully and harass those who are different from them. This really is what the whole thing is about. And the fact some people have a problem teaching kids not to bully or harass those who are different is utterly mind boggling and just plain sad.
Well we'll just have to disagree, because this for one thing wouldn't imo stop bullying but it could be very effective at imposing views, and another thing is it's to me just an excuse to impose views on kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies