Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:23 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,990,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
We the people hold the POWER, the States hold the next Power, the Fed hold the last which is to secure our RIGHTS, not squander them.
I don't know about the brainwashed, but I sure wish that someday those who claim to stand for the Constitution and U.S. history would take the time to actually understand it.

Anyway, you got one out of three right...

In order,

The People, the nation, the states. We resolved your misconception 145 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 09:43 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,925,683 times
I don't think so. The people of a state can tell the state govt what it is they want and opt right out for federal options if the fedral options are not to the states liking.

Just look at all the states and their idea on gun laws.

I would like a std set of gun laws that apply in all states, but that is not to be. The Fed can't force that, and while some states are good others are just rotten and have Infringment written all over them. That is just one example.

At that point the state govt stands in the way. not always what the people want, but then I don't know what the people want in most other states myself.

IMO states like Ma and NY which are heavy infringement law states are actting illegally.

States like VT and NH have amounst the best gun law. The debate is not gun laws, but an example of what I mean.

I would say the problem was solved 229 years. The framers of the Cons took care of that.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:43 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,534,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I don't know about the brainwashed, but I sure wish that someday those who claim to stand for the Constitution and U.S. history would take the time to actually understand it.

Anyway, you got one out of three right...

In order,

The People, the nation, the states. We resolved your misconception 145 years ago.

At one time it was the People/States/Nation of States

When the Progressives got Senators elected by their Union special interest, instead of appointed by the States legislatures, the States are not even in the picture.
It is Government/People, once the 2/3rd majority was taken out of the picture.

People and the Nation, could fight the State.
The State and Nation could fight the People.
The People and the State could fight the Nation.
Or all three could agree.

Now, you and me have the Nation, that has taken control of the People, with the States powerless.

2/3 majority is a very powerful thing in a deal called checks & balances.
Have you noticed the Progressives wanting a simple 51% majority to pass stuff in the Senate? WHY?? 2/3rds keeps the minority with a voice to be heard. Over powering the minority, is control of the highest degree.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:55 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,534,086 times
Look how much power has been taken from the States, that they once had exclusively.

This is no longer the United States of America. It is the American Nation.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:40 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,276,843 times
While not everyone believes in cycles, it is interesting to note the separation in years of periods in which the US is engaged in turmoil that threatens its very existence.
It seems as if we go thru some sort of reckoning every 70 to 90 years.

Civil war 1865- Revolutionary war 1776= 89 yrs.

WWII 1941 - Civil war 1865 = 76 yrs.

Current date 2010 - WWII 1941 = 69 yrs.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:06 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,484,674 times
Default Take a deep breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
I was talking with some fellow historians about the politics leading up to the civil war and in retrospect the country was in some similar situation as it is in now. Most people believe the civil war was about freeing slaves, to some extent that it is true however there was much more southern voting rights, tariffs, and taxes etc. The civil war in some ways also was an direct effect of the fight between a central federal government and a more powerful state government. I believe if things go too far down this road were on there is the chance that a split will be made or possibly annother civil war like experience.

Relax. Please...

Old 11-18-2010, 01:18 PM

20,893 posts, read 16,055,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
While not everyone believes in cycles, it is interesting to note the separation in years of periods in which the US is engaged in turmoil that threatens its very existence.
It seems as if we go thru some sort of reckoning every 70 to 90 years.

Civil war 1865- Revolutionary war 1776= 89 yrs.

WWII 1941 - Civil war 1865 = 76 yrs.

Current date 2010 - WWII 1941 = 69 yrs.
This is just dumb.

For starters, you have only two data points (89 years and 76 years) and they differ by almost 20%.

And how'd you leave out the Great Depression? The War of 1812? WWI?

Like I said... just dumb.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:28 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,990,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
At one time it was the People/States/Nation of States.
Yeah, as I pointed out on your other thread, that was during the Articles of Confederation and that was found to be unworkable.

Quote:
When the Progressives got Senators elected by their Union special interest, instead of appointed by the States legislatures, the States are not even in the picture.
I find this argument more than a bit disingenuous. Are not senators elected by the residents of their respective states? Do these residents of the respective 50 states not vote based upon their perspective of who will represent their local/state interests?

Quote:
It is Government/People, once the 2/3rd majority was taken out of the picture.
It would only be charitable to say that the above quotation makes little sense. What 2/3rd majority?

Quote:
People and the Nation, could fight the State.
The State and Nation could fight the People.
The People and the State could fight the Nation.
Or all three could agree.
I suggest that you learn more about how to craft an effective syllogism.

Syllogism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Now, you and me have the Nation, that has taken control of the People, with the States powerless.

2/3 majority is a very powerful thing in a deal called checks & balances.
Have you noticed the Progressives wanting a simple 51% majority to pass stuff in the Senate? WHY?? 2/3rds keeps the minority with a voice to be heard. Over powering the minority, is control of the highest degree.
I'm sorry but my decoder ring doesn't seem to working today.

Quote:
Have you noticed the Progressives wanting a simple 51% majority to pass stuff in the Senate?
What I have noticed is that a super majority is necessary to pass any legislation in a body of Congress which requires only a simple majority vote to do so. That is what I have noticed. As for the minority voice being heard, I have yet to see the minority party in either house being denied the floor of either the Congress or the Senate from speaking on any legislation that has come before either House of the Congress. Perhaps you can provide examples of where that hasn't been the case.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:36 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,175,238 times
Lets see, what would it actually take to engage in a civil war or a revolution. For one it would take a majority of our citizens to leave work, take up a weapon and use it against the fellow citizens. As long as Ice Road Truckers and ESPN is still on air and a pay check is showing up on Friday, you needn't worry about a revolution or a civil war.

Seriously, on paper and online in forums it sounds awesome and even plausible as things in theory often do. The reality of this course of action happens to reside in a plane of existence well beyond the suggestion.

We now return to the History Channel special, Was Hitler really a gay ballet dancer

Old 11-18-2010, 01:37 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,175,238 times
Lets see, what would it actually take to engage in a civil war or a revolution. For one it would take a majority of our citizens to leave work, take up a weapon and use it against the fellow citizens. As long as Ice Road Truckers and ESPN is still on air and a pay check is showing up on Friday, you needn't worry about a revolution or a civil war.

Seriously, on paper and online in forums it sounds awesome and even plausible as things in theory often do. The reality of this course of action happens to reside in a plane of existence well beyond the suggestion.

We now return to the History Channel special, Was Hitler really a gay ballet dancer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies