Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 09:44 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,113,306 times

Advertisements

Asside from the nice weather, really what is there in California? It's not worth the hassle, traffic, and extreme taxes and anti-business regulations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 09:44 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,914,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

The only people migrating to California, are Mexicans and Arizonians, that are really Mexicans, here illegally.
Link please...

Old 11-17-2010, 09:48 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,914,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Asside from the nice weather, really what is there in California? It's not worth the hassle, traffic, and extreme taxes and anti-business regulations.
Traffic isn't bad everywhere in CA. Traffic around any city is going to be heinous. If you haven't lived here how do you know it isn't worth it?

Old 11-17-2010, 10:15 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,032,538 times
Briefly, my spouse and I are not native Californians, but we lived there long enough for it to feel like home, especially after our children were born. We left in 2006 for a career opportunity, but we fully intend to go back at some point.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:19 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,116,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
This thread is terrible.

It is clear to me that Texans have an inferiority complex with California. They thrive off California failing, what kind of people would be happy that others are out of work and can't afford food because we are in a recession.

This "Southern hospitality" certainly doesn't exsist with the Texans in this thread.
There is no such thing as Southern Hospitality. It's one of those terms that gets used often enough that people take it as fact. The South has the same cross-section of A-holes as the rest of the country.

My dad can tell you all about "southern hospitality" when he was living under Jim Crow. And more directly, when he was in college in Texas in the mid-60's. He bumped into a lot of "hospitality," let me tell ya!

Old 11-17-2010, 10:25 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,504,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There is no such thing as Southern Hospitality. It's one of those terms that gets used often enough that people take it as fact. The South has the same cross-section of A-holes as the rest of the country.

My dad can tell you all about "southern hospitality" when he was living under Jim Crow. And more directly, when he was in college in Texas in the mid-60's. He bumped into a lot of "hospitality," let me tell ya!

That's great and all, but does nothing to stop the exodus of the actual people paying the taxes in California.

Leaving in record numbers is expected.
Texas is not the only place they are going to.
Just the most popular.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:03 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,837,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
I would like to see a statistic that shows if those that left were native Californians or transplants that couldn't hack it. I imagine that it is a mix of the two but this thread makes it seem that native Californians cannot wait to get out of the state.

Sure people leave states all the time for many reasons. CA is expensive and perhaps those that left couldn't afford it any longer.
That seems to be the typical answer from people who live in and still defend the insane practices that take place in the state of California. "Well they just can't afford to live in CA anymore" as if you take pride in living in a place that has taxed many of it's residents out of their homes and state. You act as though you like the fact that people can no longer afford to live in CA because you see them as less valuable than yourself. You feel that CA should be reserved for those who can "afford" the outrageous home prices, tax rates, ever increasing debt and general cost of living... then you welcome illegal aliens because they're just trying to make a better life for their families. You welcome illegals as long as they stay away from your overpriced neighborhoods, you don't care that they live 12 in a 2 bedroom apartment as long as it's out of sight of your overpriced mountain view.

I could easily afford to live in CA, I choose not to just like I choose not to drive a $75K sports car... it's not because I can't afford it, I don't need it and I would rather save my money for hard times like now. Of course people from California claim to be the most environmentally responsible, green and Earth friendly people in the country... but when people choose not to spend money on overpriced homes, cars or general living you turn up your nose and claim that they can't "afford it". Wake up, it's California as a state that CAN'T AFFORD IT. The state is broke and every time someone moves out to somewhere they "can afford" you lose their tax revenue then you replace them with an illegal alien that doesn't pay taxes.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:40 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,152,731 times
First, California probably has the best higher education system in the world. A Chinese University publishes a yearly report (Academic Ranking of World Universities ) on top research institutions in the world. California Schools (University of California system, Stanford, USC, CalTech, and Claremont Colleges - Harvey Mudd..etc) take up 10 of the first 50 slots.

Second, California (the 7 or 8th largest economy in the world) is being jobbed by Red states. For every dollar in taxes sent to D.C. it gets back .78 cents back, while Texas gets back .94 cents. Given the size of the California economy that's a lot of money going to fund red state budgets. In my opinion the reason for the discrepancy is largely due to the death of republican party in Cali. Since they know Calif is a dead spot for them, Republicans have decided to rob us blind. Our deficit would go away if got another 6 to 10 cents back from the Feds.

Lastly, California is responsible for so setting trends that have had worldwide impact over the last 30 to 40 years: Tech, Science, Entertainment, Food, Lifestyle and Environment. IN short California is an innovation machine.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:46 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,304,014 times
Footballfreak, you are indeed correct. for every $1 we pay in Federal taxes we only get back $0.78 most of the $0.22 going to red states who now lecture us as most of those red states get huge subsidies from the Federal government mainly because they're backwards states with huge problems. In the entire south only Texas, Florida, and Georgia are net tax paying states to the Federal government while all the rest are welfare queens sucking up Federal funds while contributing nothing. If we didn't have to carry their dead weight then we'd be balanced and well off as always. Maybe it's time for the dead beat welfare queens of the south to buy their own damn stop signs.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:52 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,165,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
That seems to be the typical answer from people who live in and still defend the insane practices that take place in the state of California. "Well they just can't afford to live in CA anymore" as if you take pride in living in a place that has taxed many of it's residents out of their homes and state. You act as though you like the fact that people can no longer afford to live in CA because you see them as less valuable than yourself. You feel that CA should be reserved for those who can "afford" the outrageous home prices, tax rates, ever increasing debt and general cost of living... then you welcome illegal aliens because they're just trying to make a better life for their families. You welcome illegals as long as they stay away from your overpriced neighborhoods, you don't care that they live 12 in a 2 bedroom apartment as long as it's out of sight of your overpriced mountain view.

I could easily afford to live in CA, I choose not to just like I choose not to drive a $75K sports car... it's not because I can't afford it, I don't need it and I would rather save my money for hard times like now. Of course people from California claim to be the most environmentally responsible, green and Earth friendly people in the country... but when people choose not to spend money on overpriced homes, cars or general living you turn up your nose and claim that they can't "afford it". Wake up, it's California as a state that CAN'T AFFORD IT. The state is broke and every time someone moves out to somewhere they "can afford" you lose their tax revenue then you replace them with an illegal alien that doesn't pay taxes.
So...you despise the way you perceive Californian folks view others, and resent that they would stereotype folks who want to leave the state.

Yet, you stereotype the folks who continue to live in California and the lifestyle they live.

Pot...meet kettle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies