Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:35 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
First off, there is NO SUCH THING as the Congressional Medal of Honor. It's doesn't exist, which shows your lack of understanding anything military.
No such thing as a Medal of Honor "Winner" either.

There are no "winners" they are all "recipients".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 08:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
OP - Glitch - I just read the Army report of the incident. This man is a HERO so take your damned civillian criticisms and shove them where the sun don't shine.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:48 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
\

How DARE you? How DARE you do this to anyone that has served?
I served; I'm a disabled vet; and in fact I've had two surgeries this year for injuries and have a third coming up.

So, I can say whatever I want. If you don't like it, sorry about your luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
What's to be gained by questioning the worthiness of his being awarded the Medal of Honor?
The Truth.

People like me were asking questions about Pat Tillman, and you all see how that worked out for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
One more thing, remember Pat Tillman? He too was given the Bronze star for valor, under enemy fire, blah, blah, blah. None of that was true either. He was kill by friendly fire and again, didn't even fire his weapon at the enemy. However, his Bronze Star citation still stands as a total lie.
Ah, well, if I had read just a little further I would have come across your wonderful post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Has the dissatisfaction with the government gone so far one attacks a solider that went above and beyond?
No one is attacking the soldier. His actions were heroic, but not worthy of the highest honor.

It's bad enough the economy, the education system, the media and so many other things have become politicized, the last thing you need is for the military to become politicized.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:02 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I served; I'm a disabled vet; and in fact I've had two surgeries this year for injuries and have a third coming up.

So, I can say whatever I want. If you don't like it, sorry about your luck.

The Truth.

People like me were asking questions about Pat Tillman, and you all see how that worked out for everyone.

Ah, well, if I had read just a little further I would have come across your wonderful post.

No one is attacking the soldier. His actions were heroic, but not worthy of the highest honor.

It's bad enough the economy, the education system, the media and so many other things have become politicized, the last thing you need is for the military to become politicized.
I completely agree, well said. This was the point I was trying to make in my original OP. I am by no means attempting to diminish SSG Giunta's heroic actions. I am merely asking why those heroic actions warranted a Medal of Honor instead of a Silver Star or Distinguished Service Cross?

Thus far, nobody has been either willing or able to answer that question.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
OVOCATTO - Thank you. Those men are speaking God's Honest Truth.

Here is a SALUTE to all the people that have gone in harm's way to save their friends.

My biggest regret from 'Nam is the friends I could not save and the ones that died saving me. I am really, really upset by this thread. I just lost 44 years.

The MAN earned the Medal and the rest of you, except for a couple of Vets, can all go to hell!

Old 11-18-2010, 09:58 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
As a Vet who has been in combat I would first like to say thank you to this brave soldier.
This man without regard for his own life put himself at great risk for his men and fellow soldiers. That in its self is enough to earn him my respect.
Under fire and hit twice he continued to render assistance to his men.
He is a hero.
Who am I to question his qualifications having not been there at that moment in time?
His superiors evidently felt he deserved his award. I won't question their judgment either.
Maybe congress needed a new hero? I don't know. I do know that even as screwed up as the current buch are even they can get it right once in a while.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:27 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,995,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
When I interviewed 11 Medal of Honor recipients for a piece I always started the interview off with one question, "what cause you to lose your mind and do this..." On each and every occasion the question was received with a laugh of self-realization that whatever action they took in retrospect was indeed insane and that on any other given day they were not sure that they would have done what they had done on the occasion of their act of heroism. To me that is the nature of heroism, it is rational act by men acting irrationally.
I don't know how rational i would be flying at 25,000 feet up in the air with flak, cannon and machine gun fire. I didn't know all air crews wore catheters bags during missions guess i wouldn't wet my pants then

Old 11-18-2010, 11:28 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
The issue is politics. Again, I have to bring up Jessica Lynch. Pretty white girl, does nothing in the middle of an unpopular war. Everything about her was KNOWINGLY falsified her chain of command, up to George Bush. However, the admin needed a feel good story to bolster the war: There she was. When people questioned her medal, it was same ole stuff. Who are you to judge? You weren't there, blah, blah, blah.

Pat Tillman, the samething.

Afghanistan has turned unpopular. Obama has taken a lot of heat recently over it. He and his admin need a hero, to prop up the war effort. Here he is; right, wrong, or indifferent. Actually, I find it quite offensive from some people on here saying: Dont question the government. This was investigated. Believe them. Yeah, ok, the check is in the mail.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:26 PM

888 posts, read 1,186,383 times
This guy did his duty, and was rewarded the Medal Of Honor for it.
Seems it wasn't enough for some of the posters here on CD?
Usually the guys with the biggest mouths in a unit, are the first ones to cut and run, when the shooting starts............................................ ....

Steve

Old 11-18-2010, 01:48 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
OP is way, way off. The US military has given far fewer Medals of Honor for this conflict (Afghanistan and/or Iraq) considering time of conflict and number of US troops involved than in any other war in our history. Compare the number of MOH in these two wars to, say, the Civil War.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies