Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 07:20 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
We've always assumed that hindsight is 20/20. In the case here, it's about 20/50.

No terrorists in Iraq before we got there? What, did we do, take them with us and plant them when we started? Iraq has been housing terrorists for years and wouldn't let anybody go in after them.

You are correct when you say that Saddam did not have a direct link to Osama. However, he allowed him to hide in Iraq and work out of there and then protect him when he come back (or his people)

We're not fighting the Iraqi's. Never have.

We're also not trying to shove our democracy down their throats. All we're trying to do is hold the boogers off while they come up with their own form of government. Notice when we finally got Saddam, we didn't prosecute. We turned him over to their new government and let them try him.

The majority of the Iraqi's are in favor of a new government, their were just not strong enough to put it in place by themselves.

I've seen rumor's fly on here and within a few months those rumors are suddenly thought of as fact.

Take a hard look back and tell us why you think, we went there in the first place.
The Iraqis signed their constitution back in 2004. We've dumped tens of $Billions into their infrastructure. We've trained thousands of their soldiers and police officers. What's the hold up now? I don't remember reading that the U.S. needed a lot of hand-holding through the process.

Iraq is starting to resemble that 30 year old unemployed son living in the basement, and that seems to be how Americans are starting to treat it. Don't yell at him, ignore his mess, don't pressure him, an occasional intervention but God forebid we kick him out of the house, and maybe he'll finally come to his senses. Out of sight, out of mind

We've done everything we can for the Iraqis. We'll always be an ally, but it's time for the potty training to be over with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 07:21 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
ha, yet another left wing name caller in need of a dictionary..

here ya go: neoconservative

Main Entry: neo·con·ser·va·tive
Pronunciation: "nE-O-k&n-'s&r-v&-tiv
Function: noun
1 : a former liberal espousing political conservatism
2 : a conservative who advocates the assertive promotion of democracy and U.S. national interest in international affairs including through military means
- neo·con·ser·va·tism /-v&-"ti-z&m/ noun
- neoconservative adjective

the rethuglican name was pretty cute though..

We are certainly "assertively promoting democracy", aren't we?

Thanks Neo-cons and rethuglicans....

Old 07-10-2007, 07:55 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Forbes article reports CSR research indicates cost of war at 12 billion, not ten. What's another two billion?

Bush's Iraq Plan Ever Lonelier in Senate - Forbes.com (broken link)
The boost in troop levels in Iraq has increased the cost of war there and in Afghanistan to $12 billion a month, with the tally for Iraq alone nearing a half-trillion dollars, according to the nonpartisan Congressional Research Service, which provides research and analysis to lawmakers.

The figures call into question the Pentagon's estimate that the increase in troop strength and intensifying pace of operations in Baghdad and Anbar province would cost $5.6 billion through the end of September.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:10 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
We've always assumed that hindsight is 20/20. In the case here, it's about 20/50.

No terrorists in Iraq before we got there? What, did we do, take them with us and plant them when we started? Iraq has been housing terrorists for years and wouldn't let anybody go in after them.

You are correct when you say that Saddam did not have a direct link to Osama. However, he allowed him to hide in Iraq and work out of there and then protect him when he come back (or his people)

We're not fighting the Iraqi's. Never have.

We're also not trying to shove our democracy down their throats. All we're trying to do is hold the boogers off while they come up with their own form of government. Notice when we finally got Saddam, we didn't prosecute. We turned him over to their new government and let them try him.

The majority of the Iraqi's are in favor of a new government, their were just not strong enough to put it in place by themselves.

I've seen rumor's fly on here and within a few months those rumors are suddenly thought of as fact.

Take a hard look back and tell us why you think, we went there in the first place.
Way to go, jgussler. Can you believe the crazy stuff some people come up with? I was talking to a person the other day.

He asks me something like, "If I go to your house and kill your family, would you fight back to defend your loved ones even if it means you are a terrorist?"

I am like, "huh? how can I be a terrorist for defending my home?"

He then says, "That's what the government wants to you to think about the situation in Iraq."

I tell him, "Are you nuts? We are fighting terrorists over there. If we don't, they will come and destroy America someday."

He is really pissed now, "We already went to Afghanistan to fight terrorists, you idiot."

Then he really loses me when he starts ranting about conspiracy theories like oil reverses and war-for-profit and other crazy stuff.

You are so right about that scary guy Saddam. Although he hid and protected Osama, there was no link between him and Osama at all. Anyway, I want to nominate you for the annual George Bush Intelligence Award in my hometown for supporting our President and the war.

Last edited by davidt1; 07-10-2007 at 10:37 AM..

Old 07-10-2007, 10:24 AM

You are right, it is pretty hilarious that people still think that Osama and Saddam were connected at all - when all the investigations have poiinted out Saddam blew Osama off and wanted no part of him. People can be so blind.

I think it is tied into the "sunk costs" theory. Same thing happens in project management. People don't want to acknowledge all the money (and in this case lives) that have been lost in a project and continue on when they should in fact pull the cord and eject.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:38 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
The Iraqis signed their constitution back in 2004. We've dumped tens of $Billions into their infrastructure. We've trained thousands of their soldiers and police officers. What's the hold up now? I don't remember reading that the U.S. needed a lot of hand-holding through the process.

Iraq is starting to resemble that 30 year old unemployed son living in the basement, and that seems to be how Americans are starting to treat it. Don't yell at him, ignore his mess, don't pressure him, an occasional intervention but God forebid we kick him out of the house, and maybe he'll finally come to his senses. Out of sight, out of mind

We've done everything we can for the Iraqis. We'll always be an ally, but it's time for the potty training to be over with.
They did sign it back then, but there's bugs that have to be worked out. Unfortunately.

The hand holding now is because we took what we thought were sincere people and trained them to police thier own ground. The trouble is that they are more loyal to their own "Tribe" and as such, turn a blind eye when their "Tribe" moves weapons or sets up attacks on others. We've got to weed out the bad element that we trained after their gov said they were sincere. That is going to take time and a lot of effort.

Look at that recent bombing that the terrorist got into the compound. Several check points let him through and he had explosives strapped to his chest. There's a lot of investigation going on there.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:05 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,168 times
It just kills me to listen to Bush, Condi, Cheney and all these republican bafoons talk all this tough talk having never smelled a rotting corpse or seen a bullet hit the body. Just a bunch of tough talk from people who couldn't fight to save their own lives, hiding behind the military to get their agenda completed...

P.S. If your a republican or Con just stop whipping out the liberal card every time someone shoves your nose into the mess you created. Incompetence is just incompetence.....

Old 07-10-2007, 03:52 PM

451 posts, read 835,576 times
Quote:
It just kills me to listen to Bush, Condi, Cheney and all these republican bafoons talk all this tough talk having never smelled a rotting corpse or seen a bullet hit the body. Just a bunch of tough talk from people who couldn't fight to save their own lives, hiding behind the military to get their agenda completed...
I guess the same could be said about Wilson,FDR,Clinton and others except for the republican part.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:31 PM

This is kind of funny - 2 articles that both came out today.

1. Bush claiming the progress report on Iraq is "a cause for optimism."

Bush: Iraq benchmarks report 'cause for optimism' - CNN.com

2. The Iraqis themselves claiming there is no way they can make these benchmarks and they are being set up for failure.

Iraqis criticize focus on benchmarks - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Old 07-12-2007, 08:19 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,342 times
How about that Bill Clinton guy?.................. Sorry,.. that's the best I've got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies