Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ran440 View Post
I would think that effects you guys more than us because of you proximity to the border.
Randy
So being a carpenter in new construction you've not had illegals working on your sites ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 06:56 AM

22 posts, read 21,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reid_g View Post
Building new homes will be scant for years to come when you consider we have a million unsold homes on the market and more coming. Why would investors risk money ? Also, I find it hard believe that a good carpenter can not make a living. I live in Ohio where UE is 10% and out in the boonies, the carpenter that I know always has work. Matter of fact he framed a door in at my home and it took him 2 hours and he charged me 110 bucks { I had the materials}
Let me ask you this question that I can not get one poster to answer. The way I see it home building and sales will be down for years to come,lets just assume I am right. How long should you get UE ? 1 year? 3 years? 5 years? Another poster had it right where some folks will stay on UE because they can not find a job that matches there wages before lay off. They think it is beneath them to take less money.
Myself, I am rooting against you and hope the {R}s stand strong and set a cut off date with no exceptions.
Thanks for your support. I hope your boss comes to you and offers you the same unemployment opportunities I enjoy.

Wow you gave a carpenter 2 hours of work. Bet he can now retire. Or maybe finally get that operation for mom.
Randy

Old 11-19-2010, 07:16 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Quote:
Thanks for your support. I hope your boss comes to you and offers you the same unemployment opportunities I enjoy.

Wow you gave a carpenter 2 hours of work. Bet he can now retire. Or maybe finally get that operation for mom.
Randy
I found my carpenter because he took the initiative and placed a ad in the paper. Have you tried that ? It's a small town and I see him all the time, he is doing well enough where he is getting a loan for a duplex. He plans on living in one half and have renters on the other side paying the mortgage.
After he left my 2 hours of work he was going to another job,lets assume he made the same 110 bucks. That gave him a total of 220 bucks for a days work, instead of sitting around worrying about if the gvt is going to cut him off.
You avoided my question how long should you get UE ?

Old 11-19-2010, 07:38 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
So when exactly is enough...enough?

Old 11-19-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid_g View Post
I found my carpenter because he took the initiative and placed a ad in the paper. Have you tried that ? It's a small town and I see him all the time, he is doing well enough where he is getting a loan for a duplex. He plans on living in one half and have renters on the other side paying the mortgage.
After he left my 2 hours of work he was going to another job,lets assume he made the same 110 bucks. That gave him a total of 220 bucks for a days work, instead of sitting around worrying about if the gvt is going to cut him off.
You avoided my question how long should you get UE ?

Yes. Right after I got laid of from my job of 16 years I figured out what I needed to work as a sub. Got my DBA and liability insurance. Had business cards printed. I have done some work as a sub which has helped conserve my UE benefits. Working as a sub makes taxes a *****. Have to pay all SS. I also now have no health insurance which I was paying for out of my pocket through cobra. It expires in just days. These little jobs help, but really need steady work. They are few and far between. People around here are holding on to their money.
No I am not just sitting on my A** thank you very much.
Randy

Old 11-19-2010, 07:46 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
Yes. Right after I got laid of from my job of 16 years I figured out what I needed to work as a sub. Got my DBA and liability insurance. Had business cards printed. I have done some work as a sub which has helped conserve my UE benefits. Working as a sub makes taxes a *****. Have to pay all SS. I also now have no health insurance which I was paying for out of my pocket through cobra. It expires in just days. These little jobs help, but really need steady work. They are few and far between. People around here are holding on to their money.
No I am not just sitting on my A** thank you very much.
Randy
I'm working just as hard as you are if not harder, why should my tax dollars go to support you longer than they already have?

Old 11-19-2010, 07:57 AM

Maybe because I have paid my dues for the last 30+ years.
Randy

Old 11-19-2010, 08:00 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
Maybe because I have paid my dues for the last 30+ years.
Randy
And so have I... how long have you collected unemployment?

Old 11-19-2010, 08:08 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
The people who really need to speak out are people in red states. It is the representatives and senators from those states that are blocking any extensions. Unfortunately, it is also the people in those states that were duped into voting these lawmakers in....
I'd rather see people have to ask friends, neighbors or church members for help than to drag our whole country into bankruptcy.

Honestly...it's got to stop sometime.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:10 AM

I am on Tier I on my extensions. But I have been without a regular job for almost 2 years. I have preserved my benefits by working when I can and not drawing unemployment when I do work.
Randy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies