Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 11:35 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ran440 View Post
That sounds all well and good, but my friends, neighbors and church members are in the same boat. The poor helping the poor. How does that work?
Randy
I've been unemployed...I've had to take handouts. I know it sucks. Does your church not have a benevolence fund? If not, it's not a church worth its salt, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 11:48 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Backspace
That is a very good question. I have never drawn unemployment this long nor did I expect to. I would much rather be working.
Obviously there has to be an end.
I would prefer it not end before I find new employment, but only God knows when that will be.
Sorry I don't have a good answer to a ligament question.
Randy

I am very sympathetic, it is a bad situation. But the question must have an answer, the answer may vary from person to person but you can't believe society can or should pay unemployment benefits until the person finds a job no matter how long that takes. There has to be a limit doesn't there?

Old 11-19-2010, 12:21 PM

59,018 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Thanks for your support. I hope your boss comes to you and offers ou the same unemployment opportunities I enjoy.

Wow you gave a carpenter 2 hours of work. Bet he can now retire. Or maybe finally get that operation for mom.
Randy
You do have nerve. You come on here looking for help and sympathy in getting you more UE. Some people question the extension of benefits and you get snarky.

In tough times, tough decisions have to be made. You have marketable skills. If there is no work in your area you may have to move around to where work is. I know several people who go from carpentry job to carpentry job traveling all over the country. And yes, they have families. It is hard to leave them but, that's life. I was away from my family for 20 months when I was in the service. How do you think our current military people feel being away for such long tours?

You mentioned your parents. As adults they were supposed to plan to be able to take care of themselves. If they didn't while I do have great sympathy for them you have to make tough decisions. Go away to make some money, or stay and be with them and make no money.

No one ever said life is fair. And yes I have been unemployed several times.

And you never answered the question of how long is long enough to be on UE.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:53 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
hey Randy stay in the game. I just payed 1000 bucks for a year of liability i ins that took me 3 little jobs to pay for over 2 weeks.deal with it. most self employed carpenters around here have your attitude and quit. most that cannot collect are doing well. those who can are history and already pawned all their tools and have no future your choice

Old 11-20-2010, 06:51 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,988 times
Randy if someone hasn't walked in your shoes it is hard for them to be empathetic towards your situation.
Sometimes it just has to happen to THEM, for some to be able to understand.

They will have all kinds of solutions & answers without realizing any of the immense pressure & stress that you are under.

Many have fear that it could happen to them but, they refuse to think about it & when confronted with the fact that it could be them, they deny & attack you for being lazy, or the numerous other names I have read on these forums. Don't take it personally, it is fear.

Granted there are also those who will never have to worry about paying bills on here also that will find every excuse to demonize you & accuse you of not saving enough, etc etc....we have all heard it.
There are also those who are so disconnected from reality they believe that churches & food banks will come to the rescue of the so very many who are hurting. Many of the food banks are now broke & many are hurting badly & begging for donations.

When the economy is so tough & just about everyone has had to cut back on things, they get angry about where their taxes get spent & rightfully so.
Instead of venting to this country full of politicians who have created the messes we are in, they just vent on the lowest guy on the totem pole who is a check away from complete ruin.

The feeling that one gets after working all of their life to be suddenly unemployed is beyond explanation, & then it feels like a punch in the stomach when people accuse YOU of being at fault.

As you can see by some of the replies on this thread,
Not everyone is like this though, please don't lose faith in your fellow man & NEVER give up.
Good Luck

Old 11-21-2010, 06:36 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,844,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Jadex we can blame the left or the right or whoever. It doesn't change the fact that unless our politicians get off their asses & work together it will continue.
This is not a R or D issue as the people who are out of work can tell you.
It doesn't even no longer matter who is to blame (I believe both parties are equally guilty). We have to STOP allowing them to divide us as we are. As long as they can keep us divided, they get to rape us even further,right in front of our faces.
Working together doesnt mean we ignore what the other side wants or does. When what the other side wants will make things worse then they already are.

I agree with the both parties are to blame for the mess this country is in. But till the left realizes their higher taxes and more regulations are not going to bring companys back to this country and we start building things again. We are in deep trouble.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:06 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I'm not cold hearted I just know that unemployment benefits were not set up to be indefinite.

My moms entire family moved in with another family to share expenses and support each other during the depression. I wonder how many people today would do that.

There have ALWAYS been people who are just unemployable for some reason. I don't think I ever heard about extending benefits to them indefinitely.

These are just things I think about.

Last edited by Ceece; 11-21-2010 at 05:15 PM..

Old 11-21-2010, 05:22 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
No one owes you a job.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:07 PM

7,926 posts, read 9,150,257 times
Quote:
Yes. Right after I got laid of from my job of 16 years I figured out what I needed to work as a sub. Got my DBA and liability insurance. Had business cards printed. I have done some work as a sub which has helped conserve my UE benefits. Working as a sub makes taxes a *****. Have to pay all SS. I also now have no health insurance which I was paying for out of my pocket through cobra. It expires in just days. These little jobs help, but really need steady work. They are few and far between. People around here are holding on to their money.
No I am not just sitting on my A** thank you very much.
Randy
Welcome to my world of being self employed/sole proprietor. Taxes are a *****. Maybe since this will be the new reality of high unemployment more stimulus money could have been used to help lower the taxes/costs of becoming self employed. At the very least we should have the same ability to write off healthcare costs the same way as do the big companies/unions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies