Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should gay TSA agents be allowed to give same-gender pat-downs?
Yes, they should be allowed 49 45.79%
No, they should not 55 51.40%
Not sure 3 2.80%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:14 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
Sorry if there is no alternative to replace the current process nothing is going to happen. I see all these posts about not liking this and not liking that but people are screaming bloody murder with nothing as an alternative.

And if they took this method of screening away b/c we all hate it (and rightfully so) and you just walk up to the security show your passport and flight ticket like back in the 80's. Then what?.......
There ARE alternatives,they HAVE been mentioned.

Israel's methods work,as long as the purpose of airport security is to make flying safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
That's why they have the scanners....
The scanner cannot pick up anything internal...and I also don't believe they can spot some explosives externally.

Quote:
The problem is these scanners can’t find items which have a low density, such as powder, many liquids or thin plastics. They can’t detect any object having the same or lower density than clothing.
They can’t detect explosives in the form of a fine powder like that used in the attempted bombing of Flight 253. Neither the backscatter x-ray or MMW scanner could have detected the “Panty Bomber’s” explosive in the airport.
They can detect the classic plastic explosive, C4, in a densely molded form hidden under a passenger’s clothing.
They can’t detect a stick of C4 hidden in a body cavity, an illegal drug concealment method with a long history of use in the US
http://www.consumertraveler.com/colu...rs-are-a-bust/

Last edited by oz in SC; 11-19-2010 at 09:26 AM..

Old 11-19-2010, 09:19 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
The scanner cannot pick up anything internal...and I also don't believe they can spot explosives externally.

But you said they are "a virtual strip search". If that's true, how could they not be able to spot external explosives?

You can't have it both ways....

Old 11-19-2010, 09:28 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,151 times
Quote:
There ARE alternatives,they HAVE been mentioned.

Israel's methods work,as long as the purpose of airport security is to make flying safer.
Profiling and interrogation style questioning will ruffle the feathers of anyone who isn't bothered by this current method.

But there are options. I'd like to see these options referenced more in peoples rant posts as a basis for alternatives. Otherwise it's just fluff.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
But you said they are "a virtual strip search". If that's true, how could they not be able to spot external explosives?

You can't have it both ways....
Perhaps you might educate yourself on the subject BEFORE forming an opinion?

Read the link posted.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
Profiling and interrogation style questioning will ruffle the feathers of anyone who isn't bothered by this current method.
If you have ever flown international you have been given the same questions as you would be asked in an Israeli style screening system.

The questions are less important than how the person reacts.

I posted a link to a newspaper article detailing how Israel deals with this subject.

Link:
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/ar...-little-bother

Old 11-19-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Perhaps you might educate yourself on the subject BEFORE forming an opinion?

Read the link posted.
I'm plenty educated on the AITs and their limitations, thanks.

My point was they are not a virtual strip search.

Look, the original reason for the thread I started posting in (prior to being merged with all these other TSA threads) is that this is not a violation of your rights. I certainly won't argue that the TSA is the most well-trained and effective security force on the planet and I don't know anybody who would. The AITs aren't the holy grail of security measures either, you get zero argument from me on that front, as well.

I think I'm done with this thread as it's been diluted past the point of being useful/meaningful...

Old 11-19-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I'm plenty educated on the AITs and their limitations, thanks.

My point was they are not a virtual strip search...
The scanners cannot pick up powder explosives,would have actually missed the explosives used by the underwear bomber(oddly enough this is one of the reasons given for the use of the scanners....) and DO show the person naked.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=972_1262283908

So what is the point of having these scanners again?

Old 11-19-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
...and DO show the person naked...

Bzzzzzt! I was with ya right up until there.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Bzzzzzt! I was with ya right up until there.
So the video I posted with TSA workers right there in the same shot showing a person naked is fake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies