Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Glenn Beck is
a patriotic American fighting the good fight. 84 40.98%
just your standard paranoid. 14 6.83%
a jackass. 40 19.51%
batsh*t crazy. 67 32.68%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 05:02 AM

465 posts, read 462,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Of course there's a team behind him. I'm not debating that.

But show me some instances where the things that Beck brings to light are wrong.

Try being objective.
I am definitely not going to go digging through Glenn Beck quotes to find innaccuracies in things he has said. I do not want to spend my time on such a thing.

Here are my problems with Beck.

First. He spends 95% of his time telling you how he FEELS about the news and basically tells you how you should feel. He tells you a fact or news item, then he just rants about it, spouting off subjectivites and opinions. Then he says "But don't take my word for it!" After he has been yelling his opinion.

So it's about 95% ranting with about 5% actual information.

Second, and most importantly. He is biased towards the main stream right wing. Even if he did have a personal opinion that leaned towards the left, there is NO WAY he would honestly share it.

He doesn't speak his mind honestly. HE TELLS THE PEOPLE WHAT HE KNOWS THEY WANT TO HEAR, AND WHAT MAKES HIM MONEY AND GAINS HIM A FANBASE.

Basically, he is selling a news item to the people, a news product, so it is slanted and lopsided.

I do agree with some things i've heard him say. Because I do agree with some right wing policies. But everything he says is catered to the right wing and slanted in that direction.

Third. It's just not very intellectual information. He doesn't really go very deep into issues and when he does go for any depth at all he dumbs it down a lot. And that's why lots of uneducated people listen to him all time and love him.

He trades intelligence for passion and anger.

So there you have it. That's what I think of Beck.

I don't think he is a liar. I just think it's biased, dumbed down, yellow journalism.

And before you sheeple attack me, let me say I am NOT a Democrat or a Liberal.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:14 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,825,162 times
Beck is an opportunist playing on people fears. I heard his radio show Sat AM. He was implying to people, that contrail flap in Calif, was a Chinese sub missile launch. Apparently, the Chinese were making a statement to the US, or something. Other than trying to spread paranoia, what would be his reasons for doing that? Obviously Beck is not dumb enough to believe that, but, what does that say about what he thinks of the people that listen to him?

Old 11-22-2010, 06:22 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,647,969 times
An alcoholic who gave up drinking so he must put his energy into a cause. His cause is to expose and he throws his entire self into it in the same way that he use to drink.
I'm glad he does it because I don't have the time.
He is providing a service and this is his calling in life.
He finally got it right.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
An alcoholic who gave up drinking so he must put his energy into a cause. His cause is to expose and he throws his entire self into it in the same way that he use to drink.
He finally got it right.
You are correct, except his cause, is making money. Nothings else, as was true with his alcohol, matters.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:33 AM

465 posts, read 462,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
He finally got it right.
There is nothing righteous about Beck.

He is simply a smart businessman, and his business is producing entertaining journalism with a large fanbase.

I'm really shocked that so many people actually think Beck is some kind of angel trying to expose the evils of the world. That's really far off.

Even if you like Beck and agree with him. Just be honest with yoruself. The man is stictly business. And he does a LOT of fear-mongering and sensationalistic antics on his show.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:06 PM

24,495 posts, read 33,233,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
Hence "a variety" and "make up their own mind", better than sticking to ONE biased TV channel.
Variety doesn't really matter since there is no 100% non-biased news outlet.

And who sticks to one biased channel? Not I.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:29 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,175,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
You are correct, except his cause, is making money. Nothings else, as was true with his alcohol, matters.
He has other causes like promoting his websites and sponsors, how many times during his TV shows
does he mention Glenn Beck dot com or The Blaze dot com etc.....many times!

Old 11-22-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
He has other causes like promoting his websites and sponsors, how many times during his TV shows
does he mention Glenn Beck dot com or The Blaze dot com etc.....many times!
Those causes also make money for him, that's the point of everything he does.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:41 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,459,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Variety doesn't really matter since there is no 100% non-biased news outlet.

And who sticks to one biased channel? Not I.
I wasn't only speaking about news outlets. Books are not news outlets. I wouldn't call books that are based on data that is available for the public biased. Also, there are news outlets that don't come with a commentary. Just straight news. I know hard to believe when you are used to American TV.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:08 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,175,894 times
Beck just told the truth: "I am the grim reaper of apathy"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.