Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 02:00 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Not working inside a car's a little extreme but I'm all for using GPS technology to make them shut down when moving over say 2 1/2 mph, I've seen far too many incidents on the road with the cause being some nimrod jawing away on the phone paying no mind to the road.
I agree 100%. Start designing phones that shut off after the car is moving. I live near a college town and I have seen many accidents because some college student was texting away on their cell phone. We also need to start talking to teens about the danger of talking or texting on the cell phone while driving. There are too many people who have died simply because the conversation couldn't wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 06:57 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,081,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I saw a woman rear end another car becaues she was using her rear view mirror to apply her mascara. Try to ban that!! There is no cure for stupid.
One of the scariest things I ever saw was a grown-azz woman barreling down the freeway in a minivan, driving about 80 and swerving all over the place, her eyes glued to a Pokemon magazine.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:29 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times
You either have to regulate people or you have to regulate the tools/technology, no matter if it's cellphones, cars or guns.

You pretty much can't regulate people to try thinking for a change, so what else do you want to try?

Old 11-21-2010, 10:32 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
But what if the phone is being used by a passanger? Lots of people have a passanger answer the phone. Why cut off cell reception when your going to cut it off for everyone?
If you can't stop the vehicle to make the call it's not very important anyway.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
Blocking cell phone signals are not about safety, it's about control.
There are hands free devices for that. If they take away cell phones, in cars, then they think the accidents will magically stop. I seem to recall a few people in my childhood (before cell phones) that got into car wrecks, and even died, and cell phones obviously had nothing to do with it.
It's just all BS. It's just the government getting into your business as much as they can.
Good! I hope the goverment does get in the business of people willing to do me bodily harm so they can BS on the phone.

BTW, care to list the states that define operating a vehicle as a right rather than a privilege?

Old 11-21-2010, 10:51 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
What in the world would people do without a phone in their car? Oh no

Old 11-21-2010, 10:58 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The ones who scare me are those who are apparently oblivious to just how much damage be caused by an automobile with a distracted operator. I know of at least nice gent in a wheelchair for doing nothing more than stopping at a red light on his motorcycle, the a$$hole behind had previously determined a phone call was much more important than human life. Attacking others with your vehicle is not a right, despite the apparent beliefs of many.
As someone who has, one three occasions, been literally INCHES (as in less than one foot) from being hit by someone whose phone call was more important than my life, I heartily agree.

Warning: Next time it happens, I fully intend to collapse with a loud THUD on the idiot's car, and then sue them so hard they won't know whether to sh*t, die or go blind.............just in case anybody reading this lives in my neighborhood, where it is actually ILLEGAL to use a cell phone while operating a vehicle.

OMG! When did people start being so utterly selfish?

Old 11-21-2010, 10:59 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
What in the world would people do without a phone in their car? Oh no
You're right about that. Drive time is now "talk time". Time to catch up. Let people know you're coming or will be late. You are important and everyone should know your every move. Paying attention to the road is secondary to letting other's know you're out there. What the hell, you got insurance.

After 30 years of having a cell phone or pager spot welded to my hip, I got rid of them entirely after retirement and use a home phone only. If I'm there, I'll pick up....If not, leave a message. When I drive, I spend my time dodging idiots on cell phones.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:03 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Secretary of Transportation Wants To Block Cell Phone Signals in Cars

It's time to block funding for the Department of Transportation.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Secretary of Transportation Wants To Block Cell Phone Signals in Cars

It's time to block funding for the Department of Transportation.
Republicans worried Telecom stocks might go down a nickel if we don't continue allowing yakking drivers to endanger people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies