Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2010, 01:54 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Logical thinking still cannot predict the future. YOU cannot see what the future holds for you. You do not know what is going to happen in your future. It's not about those "with" or "without." Arrogance is the ultimate indicator of insecurity, fear, and a fragile ego.
I think you've got some words confused.

Cockiness is *thinking* you've got something on lockdown and are secure, while waiting for someone to come knock your block off and change it all.

Arrogance is *knowing* it, and freely proclaiming it because it is what it is.

Subtle but distinct difference.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I think you've got some words confused.

Cockiness is *thinking* you've got something on lockdown and are secure, while waiting for someone to come knock your block off and change it all.

Arrogance is *knowing* it, and freely proclaiming it because it is what it is.

Subtle but distinct difference.
Arrogance | Define Arrogance at Dictionary.com

–noun
offensive display of superiority or self-importance; overbearing pride.

Arrogance quotes
When men are most sure and arrogant they are commonly most mistaken, giving views to passion without that proper deliberation which alone can secure them from the grossest absurdities”
David Hume quotes (Scottish Philosopher, Historian, Economist and Essayist. 1711-1776)

“The offspring of riches: Pride, vanity, ostentation, arrogance, tyranny”
Mark Twain quotes (American Humorist, Writer and Lecturer. 1835-1910)

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.”
Sydney J. Harris quotes (American Journalist and Author, He wrote a syndicated column, Strictly Personal, from 1944-86. 1917-1986)

Old 12-31-2010, 02:25 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Trying to say she's a bad tenant and not out of different sides of your mouth? It was a business decision to remodel the place. While I am not privy to the details of this situation, I know many renters who got kicked out because the landlord decided to sell the property. One house we rented went into foreclosure; fortunately we were moving out of state anyway.
When my mom sold one of her homes in the 90's her border had to go. That didn't make her scum, tho.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
When my mom sold one of her homes in the 90's her border had to go. That didn't make her scum, tho.
Of course it didn't. It was a business decision, just as I said previously. She didn't make a decision to keep the house b/c she liked the boarder, either. She did what was best for her. Business is business.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Of course it didn't. It was a business decision, just as I said previously. She didn't make a decision to keep the house b/c she liked the boarder, either. She did what was best for her. Business is business.
Yea, granted. I'm still waiting for the rational for the name calling, tho.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Yea, granted. I'm still waiting for the rational for the name calling, tho.
That wasn't addressed to you, though I can see where you thought it was. It was addressed to some others, who questioned my DH's PhD, my brother's capablilities, etc. I decided to keep the next examples I gave more generic.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
That wasn't addressed to you, though I can see where you thought it was. It was addressed to some others, who questioned my DH's PhD, my brother's capablilities, etc. I decided to keep the next examples I gave more generic.
I'm not talking about what you said IRT to the family/friend thing or the vitriolic posters you're dealing with. I'm talking about artwomyn's use of yuppie scum, greedy yuppies, etc, when it comes to folk doing their business with their own property. I'm under the assumption contracts were followed since nothing has been said about that. I want to know the rationale there; personally and as potential landlord. It's another position I don't understand, which I realize is probably due to my own experiences/pov (to state the obvious).

Old 12-31-2010, 03:53 PM

You'll have to ask her about that. I can't answer for anyone but myself.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:59 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,154 times
Quote:
I don't know what the slamming of your friends/family is about, but I'm not saying risk doesn't exist. Obviously it does. The reality is that we sometimes have to do things we don't want to do to survive. A person that doesn't have a job and can't afford his/her single apartment can say all day that it's too dangerous to room with people, but it will be no safer at the homeless shelter. People have to do what they have to do. My dh wouldn't want it, but what would the alternatives be if I got sick and couldn't work? I would do anything I could think of to avoid losing my home.

On the flip side, and to agree with you, I recently expressed concerns about renting in another thread. This was a couple of weeks ago. My concerns actually started to arise due to a few posters here. I thought to myself, damn, a lot of these people think they're owed something by landlords. That landlords have responsibility beyond the contract. Then, another poster who does rent piped in, actually a few did, and they eased my concerns with their experiences. In that they don't typically have problems. That a majority of landlord/tenant situations work out fine. I knew that, I was just getting caught up in the hyperbole of an internet thread.

To be clear, tho, my biggest concern about a potential tenant is ending up with one that thinks s/he's entitled to my space even if s/he can't afford the rent and that I would get stuck housing/supporting them. That's a scary reality I'm aware of thanks to these threads. This highlights the benefit the net has to offer. Honestly, before these threads I was that person looking to help out folk in trouble when the recession started. I thought to myself, we have the space, why not? My dh flipped when I mentioned the idea. That naive quality on my part has waned.

Point being, I would be as cautious as possible.
It would be wise to know the landlord tenant laws in whatever state you live. Those laws are different from state to state. You need to know what the laws are in your state and what is legally required of a landlord in your state. I would not rely on what I might read on an internet forum.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
You'll have to ask her about that. I can't answer for anyone but myself.
I'm just throwing it out there in general because she doesn't respond to my posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies