Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 11:09 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Oh puhleez with the drama. For every story you have, I have one where someone's made a good life for themselves in spite of their upbringing or horrible accidents.
The poster actually brings up good points. These things actually happen. Also, the reverse is actually true. For every success story in hard neighborhoods, there are probably 20 heartbreaking tales. The reason is due to the structural nature of poverty.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Don't compare me to Oprah. She is a celebrity. She had some hard knocks too, but she also had much good fortune. Because nobody makes it in the entertainment world, without lots of good luck. Hard work is not enough, in that field. Or for that matter, any other field.

As for me, I'm just being honest about my life, and the fact that I've had to cope with circumstances, that are beyond my control. So the only thing that I'm 'driving home', is the truth. I can try and try to be successful. But like Oprah, and other successful people, I'll need some good fortune, in addition to hard work, to make it. NOBODY becomes successful, just through hard work alone!
Not to mention her life turned around when she was sent to live with her middle income father. A city councilman and military member. Her father was not the poorest of the poor.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:24 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observation View Post
i see alot of ppl on here saying "if they had a plan they wouldn't be poor", or "you have got to have a backup plan"

i know kids in kindergarten whose parents has been incarcerated long term.
I know someone who is 12 whose father recently dissapeared, he now lives in a shelter.
Another person i know was shot in the face 2 years ago and now spends his days slobbering on himself.
I met a guy who doesn't have legs anymore.
I know children born with aids.
Crackbabies who are now in the teens and 20s.

Sense you guys have so many backup plans, tell me what is your backup plan for being shot in the face point blank range. Sense you are all so perfect i just know that being homeless, completely retarded, and paralyzed will not keep you from becoming rich.
this people truely need help!!! The people that i have a problem with are those that scam the sistem. I believe, it is very well over 80% of the people scam the sistem. You are a tipical liberal every time someone talks about cutting spending they bring up the necesary item that should not be cut such as policemen and firemen. If a man is slobbering on him self because he was shot in the face, yes he needs help!!! Very easy to document!! But if a man is slobbering on himself and is in the grocery store, paying for a cart full of groceries with a welfare card and he is over three hundred lbs. It is avius this man does not need help with food.this man IS being greedy.gluttnus at our expense.from what we can save from not feeding this gluttnus man. We can better help the man that was shot in the face!!!

Last edited by gysmo; 01-01-2011 at 11:57 AM..

Old 01-01-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
this people truely need help!!! The people that i have a problem with are those that scam the sistem. I believe, it is very well over 80% of the people scam the sistem. You are a tipical liberal every time someone talks about cutting spending they bring up the necesary item that should not be cut such as policemen and firemen. If a man is slobbering on him self because he was shot in the face, yes he needs help!!! Very easy to document!! But if a man is slobbering on himself and is in the grocery store, paying for a cart full of groceries with a welfare card and he is over three hundred lbs. It is avius this man does not need help with food.this man being greedy.gluttnus at our expense.from what we can save from not feeding this gluttnus man. We can better help the man that was shot in the face!!!
sistem and tipical both are spelled with the letter 'y'...system and typical. Also gluttnus is actually 'gluttonous'.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:35 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
What I see is greed of many that are perfectly capable of contributing being greedy because of their laziness. They really take from those who are handicapped more and more because of their greed and laziness.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:43 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Don't compare me to Oprah. She is a celebrity. She had some hard knocks too, but she also had much good fortune. Because nobody makes it in the entertainment world, without lots of good luck. Hard work is not enough, in that field. Or for that matter, any other field.

As for me, I'm just being honest about my life, and the fact that I've had to cope with circumstances, that are beyond my control. So the only thing that I'm 'driving home', is the truth. I can try and try to be successful. But like Oprah, and other successful people, I'll need some good fortune, in addition to hard work, to make it. NOBODY becomes successful, just through hard work alone!
But......I did.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:47 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:

She wasn't born a celebrity. And you do know there's no such thing as good luck. Just a willingness to take opportunities and succeed, and learn from mistakes.

So now you're not only a victim, but you have the worst luck in the world? When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:47 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I did not chose to have cancer at 19.

I was told I would not live.

I beat it.
I'm glad you got through it as well, Driller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Not to mention her life turned around when she was sent to live with her middle income father. A city councilman and military member. Her father was not the poorest of the poor.
To be fair, according to artwomyn's post, her parents were both F/T employed with dad in the post office and mom being a nurse or something (I can't quite recall). Also, I'm recalling something about living with the folks after college in the 80s as well. So, 50-30yrs would put her in her 20s. I don't know about the abuse, but going to college and living with the folks after sounds pretty middle-class to me. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I really think we should all quit dumping on artwomyn and get back on topic. All this self-praise from other posters is getting tres annoying!

Old 01-01-2011, 11:50 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
She wasn't born a celebrity. And you do know there's no such thing as good luck. Just a willingness to take opportunities and succeed, and learn form mistakes.

So now you're not only a victim, but you have the worst luck in the world? When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.
Some folk are clearly incapable of that. Much of the time it's matter of upbringing, but that's not always the case either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies