Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 11:52 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
sistem and tipical both are spelled with the letter 'y'...system and typical. Also gluttnus is actually 'gluttonous'.
did not know cd had a spell check person thank yu. It must get afuly lonely spending all your time in your perents basement. Ill tri and keep yu busi

Old 01-01-2011, 11:53 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I really think we should all quit dumping on artwomyn and get back on topic. All this self-praise from other posters is getting tres annoying!
Basically the point I was trying to make was that as artwomyn stated there is a luck involved...however in this case luck means that she wasn't born in the poorest of the poorest of situations.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:55 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I really think we should all quit dumping on artwomyn and get back on topic. All this self-praise from other posters is getting tres annoying!
If a person is going to refer to him/herself as a victim, which is a loaded term, folk are going to pay attention. I could care less if these posts of self praise from other posters annoys you. I'm enjoying reading their stories, whether you think your pov should be the center of this thread or not.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:56 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
I know many people associate public transit, housing for seniors, people that take part time jobs to supplement pensions/Social Security, or whomever that needs more income as poor people. Many associate all these things with poor people, and that all poor people mean crime and just plain dirty unkept unproductive people. One doesn't have to be the homeless or the generational welfare recipient anymore to be looked down on, by both Americans and our polticians. America has become such a class conscious and divided society, that I am sure it will destroy itself at some point if things remain as pitiful as they are now.

I especially find it annoying that so many think everyone should own a car in the USA, even in large Metro's. So these type metro's with all their high tech high income earners are to good for public transit. So there is next to nothing transit wise, because the poor will ride it. In other words we don't want the ones without all the high income and big jobs in our neighborhood, or our taxes paying for them to ride the transit.

Are you listening Raleigh NC.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
did not know cd had a spell check person thank yu. It must get afuly lonely spending all your time in your perents basement. Ill tri and keep yu busi
It's not my problem if you want to look idiotic. Just trying to be nice. BTW, I'm an in insomniac at it's 4am here in Seoul, where I live in my apartment. I probably would try to get your attacks straight first.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:58 AM

18,455 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Hate is a strong word... tossed about with such flippancy these days that it begins to loose it meaning.

Much the same as proclaiming racism where none exists, it has become like accusing someone of rape, no matter if the accused is innocent the stigma of the accusation alone lasts virtually forever.
And the onus is thrust upon the accused to defend oneself against such accusations rather than the accuser to prove them.

I don't HATE anyone due to their socio economic situation, nor do I think most people.
People are often born or thrust in situations beyond their control, but it is how they comport themselves in these situations that make others form opinions of them in a positive or negative light.

If you stumble and fall I will gladly extend a hand to help you up.
But do not ask me to carry you upon my shoulders because you refuse to walk.

I hold no respect for those with the professional victim mentality.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:59 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
..however in this case luck means that she wasn't born in the poorest of the poorest of situations.
I think this luck involves more than finances, tho. I think culture is a player here and disposition. Where the latter is derived from, I'm not sure.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I think this luck involves more than finances, tho. I think culture is a player here and disposition. Where the latter is derived from, I'm not sure.
It's merely finances. There are poor white people, different culture. There are hard working people who are poor...good disposition.

What is rare for Oprah is that she left her class. That is truly unique. It's easier the higher up the social ladder you are. She probably was lower middle class, so the fact that she left that station is a testament to a combination of hard work and luck. It would be less likely if she were extremely poor. In fact, if probably would not have happened. She probably would not have been able to do after school activities or have the luxury to only focus on academics.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:16 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,328 times
Quote:
It's not my problem if you want to look idiotic. Just trying to be nice. BTW, I'm an in insomniac at it's 4am here in Seoul, where I live in my apartment. I probably would try to get your attacks straight first.
I do not attack anyone only their ideas! or should I say ideology!!

Old 01-01-2011, 12:17 PM

639 posts, read 1,289,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
this people truely need help!!! The people that i have a problem with are those that scam the sistem. I believe, it is very well over 80% of the people scam the sistem. You are a tipical liberal every time someone talks about cutting spending they bring up the necesary item that should not be cut such as policemen and firemen. If a man is slobbering on him self because he was shot in the face, yes he needs help!!! Very easy to document!! But if a man is slobbering on himself and is in the grocery store, paying for a cart full of groceries with a welfare card and he is over three hundred lbs. It is avius this man does not need help with food.this man IS being greedy.gluttnus at our expense.from what we can save from not feeding this gluttnus man. We can better help the man that was shot in the face!!!
I'm not a liberal or a conservative so don't call me either. It's offensive.
I was simply raised in a poor crime ridden area and lived day to day my entire life until a couple years ago when with mostly good luck and helping hands and some hard work I was able to escape what I was born into.

What you don't seem to realize is those scenarios do not just effect the people in them. The man who is crippled has family members. The girl with a father in prison has younger sisters she has to care for, and millions of people walking around who at first glance look normal are crackbabies.

This is the real world is poor communities. Everyone from the ghetto knows, or is related to alot of people like this. One of my best friends in middle school witnessed his fathers murder at 6, and his brother was born severely retarded, the stress and pain also drove his mother to crack addiction. He had to skip school to hustle when he was young, and when he was old enough to get a job he quit school so he could work and feed his younger siblings and mom who he had been father, mother and provider for sense the age of 6.

Yes he scams the system, he has his entire life, matter fact he is an expert at scamming the system. If he had not learned to scam the system at a young age his brother would have died much younger, and he may have literally starved to death.

Now hes in his early 20s. His mother is still on crack, his sisters are knocked up, he still has to care and provide financially not only for them but also his retarded brother. He never graduated 9th grade even though he got straight A's all thru school, and is unemployed and living in a neighborhood with 20 job positions and thousands of people needing work.
This is a perfectly normal, bright young man, but no person with an IQ over 40 can honestly say hard work alone will take him out of the ghetto. Hes not abnormal either. There is 10s of millions of people all across this nation facing odds like him and there's still even millions more with even more odds stacked against this.

People, please post stats and studies. I'll instead show you the real world you were and still are sheltered from.

Last edited by Observation; 01-01-2011 at 12:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies