Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 08:37 PM

465 posts, read 463,677 times

Advertisements

Does it make an American a "terrorist" because they want to overthrow the U.S. government?

I don't think so. And I think this is very, very fascist thinking to say that someone who stands up against the crooked government is a terrorist.

Knock, knock..... Who's there?....... Fascism!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 08:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Are you right or are you wrong ?
I don't know but I do feel that something wrong is happening here in America over the long run.
I don't like what's happening either.

Makes me want to go read up on events that led to the Revolutionary War.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:59 PM

465 posts, read 463,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Are you right or are you wrong ?
I don't know but I do feel that something wrong is happening here in America over the long run.
I don't like what's happening either.

Makes me want to go read up on events that led to the Revolutionary War.
Well i'm not talking about whether or not we should overthrow the U.S. Government. Although I definitely think it would be in the people's best interest 100% to do so.

I'm talking about the idea that someone who brings up such ideas gets labeled a "terrorist" or "domestic terrorist".

I think it's absolutely ridiculous and it stomps on our free speech. We should be able to discuss government overthrow all we want if the US is really a free country.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:01 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRefugee View Post
Does it make an American a "terrorist" because they want to overthrow the U.S. government?

I don't think so. And I think this is very, very fascist thinking to say that someone who stands up against the crooked government is a terrorist.

I think you have it backwards.

A majority of Americans elected the government, and for one man or one small group to take on matters of their own and overturn the wishes of the electorate is a bit tyrannical.

I'd say wait until the next election and see what happens.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:09 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:

I don't think so.
And you're right. See Brandenburg v. Ohio.
If that is your opinion, it is protected by the First Amendment. If you try to act on that, then it's no longer protected speech.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:10 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
I think you have it backwards.

A majority of Americans elected the government, and for one man or one small group to take on matters of their own and overturn the wishes of the electorate is a bit tyrannical.

I'd say wait until the next election and see what happens.
Correction: Americans who bothered to vote at all (remember dozens of millions of americans didn't vote mostly because there is no choice). Plus there really isn't a realistic choice other than more of the same: Democratic candidate or Republican candidate which aren't really that much different when you get down to it. We are really a one party system. Some choice. Who is there to elect? We might as well have picked them randomly or through a lottery.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:21 PM

952 posts, read 942,371 times
Quote:
Well i'm not talking about whether or not we should overthrow the U.S. Government. Although I definitely think it would be in the people's best interest 100% to do so.

I'm talking about the idea that someone who brings up such ideas gets labeled a "terrorist" or "domestic terrorist".

I think it's absolutely ridiculous and it stomps on our free speech. We should be able to discuss government overthrow all we want if the US is really a free country.

The claim to Free Speech as 'absolute', is widespread, misguided...and potentially deleterious to one's liberty.

Because we have the ability and the freedom---does not mean we also have the 'right'.

We undoubtedly enjoy a high standard of freedom in this Country---but it is demonstrably regulated. Those who slavishly worship at the shrine of individual liberty are often irresponsible, shortsighted, and hypocritical.

The mere claim to a "right" carries no guarantee that one will be protected / absolved of social, professional, and often legal, consequences. Without question, responsibility, if not good sense; is inherently expected of the beneficiaries of such rights.

Try issuing a threat on the life of the President, generate libelous tracts on a former spouse, spew invective at the meter-maid, sky-write obscenites above your city, tell the courtroom judge how you 'really' feel about his imposed sentence, deliver your protestation within the buffer zone of Planned Parenthood, curse the officer issuing your traffic citation, slander your boss, pay for and erect a profane (or simply controversial) Billboard, issue threats to your neighbor's delinquent brood, deliver a political screed in your military uniform; or use your right to free speech to incite a riot, entice a minor into your car; or the ubiquitous example: Try yelling "Movie!" in a crowded Firehouse! (okay....maybe not that one)

Our 'Rights' have been earned with blood, and sacrifice, and lives. We maintain "rights" with due respect, restraint, responsibility and recognition of their fragile nature and profound importance----far beyond the self indulgent, petulant insistence of those who demand society make way for their propensity to act as a bull in a china shop. Many understand how we dishonor the sacrifices and reveal ourselves unworthy, with such juvenile exhibitionism and ludicrous claims to "absolute rights".

Quite possibly, because of the irresponsible; many may come to understand too late---few things are absolute, inalienable, or guaranteed.

Last edited by alphaluce; 11-19-2010 at 10:24 PM..

Old 11-19-2010, 09:27 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
Correction: Americans who bothered to vote at all (remember dozens of millions of americans didn't vote mostly because there is no choice). Plus there really isn't a realistic choice other than more of the same: Democratic candidate or Republican candidate which aren't really that much different when you get down to it. We are really a one party system. Some choice. Who is there to elect? We might as well have picked them randomly or through a lottery.
I stand corrected.

I have often used the argument that there is no choice in deciding whether or not to vote, but it's a poor excuse. Is my vote significant? Probably not, but if I don't vote then my insignificance is a sure thing.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:33 PM

914 posts, read 4,444,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaluce View Post
Our rights have been earned with blood, and sacrifice and lives. We maintain "rights" with due respect, restraint, responsibility and recognition of their fragile nature and profound importance----far beyond the self indulgent, petulant insistence of those who demand society make way for their propensity to act as a bull in a china shop. Many understand how we dishonor the sacrifices and reveal ourselves unworthy, with such juvenile exhibitionism and ludicrous claims to "absolute rights".
That was lovely!

I'm really quite amused when I hear about fringe militias who claim it is their constitutional right to keep the President in check. If they actually read the constitution they claim to hold so dear, they would find in the description of the powers of the President that said President actually has jurisdiction over them. Good times.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:43 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:

Go ahead and try it. Let us know how that works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies