Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:40 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Get this - military members are government employees.

Nice to see that you agree with me.

you seem to have a negative attitude towards the military? You said that you are a vet? Were you in the military? Or are you an animal doctor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 08:43 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
no dont freeze military pay

the military gets paid crap, especially for what they do

a private makes 1200 a month, a wopping 14k a year, less than minimum wage, not even half of minimum wage when you consider the hours they work

Old 11-22-2010, 08:49 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
lol But mindsets that far out of touch with reality typically aren't worth beating your head against a wall on FYI.
What did I say in this thread that is "out of touch with reality"?

I can't have an opinion on our military's pay because it's the part of the government that is somehow immune from criticism/pay FREEZE (we are not even talking CUT, but we should)? Nonsense.

Interestingly enough, folks that actually served discuss it with me freely (that's how I got the 120K for a tour of duty in Iraq number) I can't disclose much of the details on their specifics, partly because I didn't pry, partly because it'd be out of bounds for me to do so.

Everything should be under consideration, and damn this "military is above scrutiny, rah rah rah" pathos. My freedoms would not diminish one bit if half of the wars half way across the world were not fought in the first place.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post

I can't have an opinion on our military's pay because it's the part of the government that is somehow immune from criticism/pay FREEZE (we are not even talking CUT, but we should)? Nonsense.

Interestingly enough, folks that actually served discuss it with me freely (that's how I got the 120K for a tour of duty in Iraq number) I can't disclose much of the details on their specifics, partly because I didn't pry, partly because it'd be out of bounds for me to do so.

Everything should be under consideration, and damn this "military is above scrutiny, rah rah rah" pathos. My freedoms would not diminish one bit if half of the wars half way across the world were not fought in the first place.
I am a 20 yr serviceman. Yes, we should put everything on the table. But, the actual military pay is not going to put a dent in the budget. If we want to get serious about budget cuts then we need to look at the big money. DOD contracts, additional DOD spending (housing, lodging, wasteful spending on unnecessary projects or obsolete facilities)- the list goes on and on. It always seems like congress passes a huge DOD budget based on the previous war. We end up wasting money on things that are not important. We need to restructure how the big pot of money is used. A (slightly) bigger & more flexible military would help. We can cut back on the thousands of DOD contracts/contractors. There is definitely ways to cut the overall DOD budget. Slashing military pay is the least effective, and the worst way to do it

Old 11-22-2010, 09:19 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:

I agree with your post.
If posters want, they can research what someone downrange gets; don't forget to include what your family gets also. Don't forget that if people were held back by stop-loss under Bush, they just got additional money for all of the months that they had to serve.
It's an all-volunteer force, sometimes akin to welfare.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:24 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Quote:

Military Pay Tables (http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/militarypaytables.html - broken link)

U.S. Military FAQ -- If I'm deployed to Iraq, what pay would I be entitled to?

So, let's take a married E-5, with six years of service, stationed at San Diego, CA: Base Pay: $2,205.30
Housing Allowance: $1535
Food Allowance: $267.18
Family Separation Allowance: $250
Hazardous Duty Pay: $225
Hardship Duty Pay: $100
Total: $4,582.48 per month, or $54,989.76 per year, tax-free

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/intern...a/iraqjobs.htm

Some jobs in Iraq start at about $80,000 a year. Others pay more. In most cases, housing and meals are provided. If you work overseas long enough (over 330 days) that income is excluded from United States taxes. Review the IRS guidelines for the details.

The pay you're talking about sounds like contractor pay.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Military Pay Tables (http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/militarypaytables.html - broken link)

U.S. Military FAQ -- If I'm deployed to Iraq, what pay would I be entitled to?

So, let's take a married E-5, with six years of service, stationed at San Diego, CA: Base Pay: $2,205.30
Housing Allowance: $1535
Food Allowance: $267.18
Family Separation Allowance: $250
Hazardous Duty Pay: $225
Hardship Duty Pay: $100
Total: $4,582.48 per month, or $54,989.76 per year, tax-free

Jobs in Iraq

Some jobs in Iraq start at about $80,000 a year. Others pay more. In most cases, housing and meals are provided. If you work overseas long enough (over 330 days) that income is excluded from United States taxes. Review the IRS guidelines for the details.

The pay you're talking about sounds like contractor pay.

and that is San Diego where the housing pay is high

Old 11-23-2010, 10:58 AM

200 posts, read 287,293 times
Our military force is voluntary. Some volunteer to serve, some sign up for benefits/education etc. What is wrong with that? Don't you "volunteer" to go to work each day to get paid, have benefits, insurance etc? They have a job to do and they do it. Do they get to say "I am not feeling like going to Iraq today so I think I will opt out, ok?" No, they don't. So since it is basically a job, just like yours and mine, (oh except for the risking your life part and not being able to say no when told to do something that falls within your job description that might get you killed) why does anyone think it is ok to freeze or cut their pay? Do you want your pay frozen or cut? Just like most other jobs, their spouses/children receive benefits as well. Do you want your benefits or your family's benefits cut? No, of course not. I would even venture to guess that we would all be very upset and angry if the government wanted to freeze or cut our pay. Our government has some belt tightening to do, no doubt about it. The rank and file military is NOT where we need to start, IMO. I would even expand this line of thought to anyone in service type jobs (police, fire fighters etc). They too are government employees that serve the public.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:58 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,723,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You've been telling them that for years. You told Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush Jr., and now Obama to do it. You told a 12 year Republican Congress that you all fooled yourself into believing would do it, to do it...they didn't do it either. It would seem to me that you'd get the message by now...the Congress, even with its new Tea Partiers, aren't going to get it done!!

This Obama appointed panel made some good suggestions...there is something for all of us to hate AND love. Corporate taxes going down by to 26% sucks to me, but i can live with it. Cutting the top tax rate to 23% for the super rich is appalling, but i can live with it since capital gains would be taxed at that same rate instead of the present lower rate. No more home mortgage deduction sucks...but i can live with it.

In other words, i'm ready to act like an adult and pay this thing down so our kids won't have to. To simply holler "cut spending" is unrealistic.
If you continue to enable bad government you will continue to get bad government.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:39 PM

175 posts, read 302,466 times
Quote:

Are you seriously suggesting that we should even be talking about a pay cut instead of "just" a freeze? Oh wait, I see you have some expert intel about it from talking to a few people who are/were in the military. I don't know who you talked to or what that person did in Iraq since you won't say anything more than that, but I sure as heck know that everyone I'm currently serving with have never made that much on any of their tours. Especially not if they actually have bills to pay even while deployed like any other normal person. Even more especially if they're enlisted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies