Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How does your religion or lack thereof affect your politics?
I'm religious and it has a great affect on my political views. 7 12.50%
I'm religious and it has a moderate affect on my political views. 5 8.93%
I'm religious and it has little or no affect on my political views. 7 12.50%
I'm not religious and it has a great affect on my political views. 8 14.29%
I'm not religious and it has a moderate affect on my political views. 4 7.14%
I'm not religious and it has little or no affect on my political views. 25 44.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 12:07 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times

Advertisements

Once you make that first wrong step of believing something with out evidence.(God)...then it's downhill for there.

In starts you on a path to believing smaller things without evidence. ( Saddam has WMD!) ( Chemical drone attacks! ) ( Social Security is bankrupt)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 12:09 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
Who ever said Christians believe in God without evidence? I believe in God BECAUSE OF the evidence for God's creation and Christ's resurrection.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:12 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
The bible that I read talks about having compassion for others. I don't really see that in the republican party. They have compassion for themselves only. They are the first to throw stones at others and the next week we find that they did the same thing. That isn't even close to christian like.

The people that I know that are TRUE Christians don't have to mention that they are because it shows. The others that say they are good Christians have to get a pat on the back every time they think they did a good deed. Real Christians will do good things and won't tell any one.

I read my bible through a few times a year and I very rarely vote republican. I will if I think they are the best for the job tho.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Who ever said Christians believe in God without evidence? I believe in God BECAUSE OF the evidence for God's creation and Christ's resurrection.
Well you believe that because, frankly, you're deluded.

If you have one small part of you that isn't sure of yourself (which I doubt) go and view a video of Richard Dawkins, or Christopher Hitchens taking your belief systems and showing it to be a big big hoax.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:32 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
I've heard Dawkins' and Hitchens' arguments, and frankly, they don't hold water.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I've heard Dawkins' and Hitchens' arguments, and frankly, they don't hold water.
Exactly what someone who is deluded would say. Scientific evidence, logic, critical thinking, don't hold any water with someone who's given up thinking for themselves.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:48 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,167 times
Though not all Christians are stupid enough to use "god" as an explanation as to why things are the way they are, enough of them (usually members of the religious right) are, which alienates those who choose to use rationale over superstition from the Republican Party. Just my two cents...

Old 11-21-2010, 12:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yes charity and coddling are indeed two DIFFERENT things. Being FORCED to pay for social programs is NOT charity, it's taxation. You CANNOT force someone to be charitable because they are only doing it because they don't want to be thrown in jail, not because they have compassion in their hearts.

You liberals confuse personal responsibility and charity with social justice and forced charity aka taxation. The two do not mix and never have. Nowhere in the Bible does it say let government take care of your fellow man. It says you take care of your own, meaning YOU personally help contribute to others' well being not by proxy of government
Mark 12:17 Then Jesus said to them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's." And they were amazed at him.

New International Version (©1984)
Then Jesus said to them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's." And they were amazed at him.

Rationale for payng taxes.

Matthew 25:40 "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
New International Version (©1984)
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Rationale for helping those you consider "the least".

Old 11-21-2010, 01:04 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,741,327 times
My religious views have NOTHING to do with who I vote for.
It has never even come in to question for me.

As the OP, I have a friend who was fairly liberal & not very religious in her younger yrs.
She has since (over a 10yrs period) been 'saved' & now is a very right wing republican conservative & her beliefs have undergone a 90% turn around.
I have wondered if it is because she spends most of her time with other conservatives or at the church she belongs to, or if her thinking just 'changed'.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:13 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
As the OP, I have a friend who was fairly liberal & not very religious in her younger yrs.
She has since (over a 10yrs period) been 'saved' & now is a very right wing republican conservative & her beliefs have undergone a 90% turn around.
I have wondered if it is because she spends most of her time with other conservatives or at the church she belongs to, or if her thinking just 'changed'.

It's probably a combination of hanging around with different people due to a changing belief system, reading the Bible and reevaluating the way you think about the world. That's how it was for me, at least.

The church should have nothing to do with it, churches can get their non-profit status taken away if they talk about politics or push their congregants to vote for a certain candidate. But preaching the word can and should lead people to think about their life and make adjustments as necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies