Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 05:34 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,204,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
For the most part smokers are low class slobs. That is why cigs sell so well in ghettos and trailer parks. Most people with the IQ of a turnip don't smoke cigs.
Not true. While there is some truth to this, I have met some well educated people with high paying jobs who smoke. The thing is, smoking is an extremely difficult habit to break. Anybody with a brain knows the health consequences of smoking but it provides such a satisfaction to people who do it that many smokers find themselves unable to stop. Most who do stop do it because of societal pressure. I guess because that pressure isn't as strong in the ghettos which would be why smoking is more prevalent there. The truth is, if you've never been a smoker you really can't truly understand the habit. It takes incredible willpower to quit and stay quit, because once you've been a smoker your mentality never goes back to your pre-smoking days. Many ex-smokers crave cigarettes for the rest of their lives. I was dumb and starting smoking during my party days and I am currently battling the habit. I hate it and wish I could just quit and never pick up a cigarette again. I do well when I stop for a while but for some reason I always end up smoking again. I think instead of punishing current smokers for their habit, more effort needs to be put into preventing people from ever starting in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 07:28 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,393,947 times
If an Employer will not hire you today, because you are a smoker. Then in our Future what will be next, i am not a smoker, never was, but it appears, smokers rights, are being taken away. I know about the health issue, and agree. And i do feel that second hand smoke is bad.

Is this being done for medical, health reasons, then are the Obese next, then what after them.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:42 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,693,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
If I had an employee that would leave me in the lurch because he didn't like a cig smell in his "widdle twuck"...........he would soon find himself in the unemployment line.

What a poor widdle baby...........whaaaa, whaaaa, whaaaaa. Him is just so, so sensitive.......whaaa........whaaaa.......whaaaa.

What a man.
Typical smoker attitude. They all think just like this- that they have the right to foul everybody elses air. It is just too bad that lung cancer cannot kill them off at a very early age instead of when they are 50 or 60. That way they couldn't reproduce and further damage the gene pool.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
If an Employer will not hire you today, because you are a smoker. Then in our Future what will be next, i am not a smoker, never was, but it appears, smokers rights, are being taken away. I know about the health issue, and agree. And i do feel that second hand smoke is bad.

Is this being done for medical, health reasons, then are the Obese next, then what after them.
Smokers don't have any rights. They have the right to get cancer and hopefully die fast from it so they don't keep costing the rest of us.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
In my experience, most companies that have "smoke free workplaces" also extend those policies to any company owned/operated vehicles.
Unfortunately the big cellular company with the 3 letter name isn't one of them.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:47 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,815,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Unfortunately the big cellular company with the 3 letter name isn't one of them.
Then maybe you need to take the issue up with your state L&I - if they're company vehicles they are by extension part of your "workplace".

Old 12-01-2010, 11:40 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,860,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's a slippery slope, if they can justify not hiring because you smoke they could justify not hiring for just about any reason. What's next? Hiring bans on the obese or other medical problems?
Maybe genetic testing where they can find out what kind of medical problems you might have in the future. I believe it will come to this in the future when you try to buy Life Insurance.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:49 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,860,007 times
There may be another issue here also. Some smokers can refrain from smoking until their break times, but I've seen a lot of smokers over the years that need a smoke break nearly every hour.

These people are really unproductive just like people that constantly surf the net or take numerous personal phone calls at work.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:09 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,757,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
There may be another issue here also. Some smokers can refrain from smoking until their break times, but I've seen a lot of smokers over the years that need a smoke break nearly every hour.

These people are really unproductive just like people that constantly surf the net or take numerous personal phone calls at work.
You are right except that ALL smokers can refrain from smoking until their designated breaks. Employers need to designate break times between all employees. Get a schedule, divide all employees up into groups of (insert #) and keep it the same every day for all employees.

As I said in another post the employers and supervisors allow them to. But I should have also said that employees should already know not to abuse their breaks or privileges. They shouldn't have to be watched over every second but my above suggestion helps to solve that problem.

I know everyone screws off now and then when their work is caught up but to do this every day for hours on end is inexcusable. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I've seen people do even when the employer is in the office.... internet browsing, chat rooms, forums, shopping, playing games, etc. It can be very addictive and has even, at times, prevented employees from keeping up with their work. This is why I hate high wall cubicles. That baloney excuse that I can't work or concentrate without walls is just that ...bullsh$te. They want those high walls so they get away with screwing off all afternoon almost everyday and no one can see them without having to go into their cubicle behind the high rise wall.

Tear down those walls so every one can see everyone and make the managers able to hear and see the people they are in charge of that would solve a lot of problems in every office.

Last edited by Lolipopbubbles; 12-02-2010 at 10:19 PM..

Old 12-02-2010, 10:19 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,624,833 times
I think the real reason behind employers not wanting to hire smokers is because there are 50 applicants for every job opening in this economy. It's an employer's market. They can pick and choose who they want. Even those who smoke acknowledge that it's a disgusting, dirty habit and most wish they never started. If you're the HR dept. and you have 5 candidates equally qualified for a position and 3 of them are smokers you're probably gonna choose the non smokers. Especially when your health insurance rates will drop substantially when your staff are all certified non smokers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies