Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 10:44 AM

28 posts, read 91,174 times

Advertisements

I'm only 23. I grew up mostly in Suburbia... ironically, the block my parents live on (I only lived with them there for 2 years, went to college after) is white minority. :-/
Anyway.
I've never experienced white flight, because I've lived with my folks in nice places and then I've been going to SAU, a very predominately white school, but I have my own thoughts.
I love everyone. Every race, sexuality, creed, whatever. I'm going into youth ministry. I am a fervant Christian. I'm not racist in the slightest...
However...
I hate the urban sub-culture. I hate most rap. It really angers me when a car drives by and some kid is hanging out the window and the bass is vibrating the windows. I hate seeing kids walking around in their puffy jackets with furred hoods, ultra baggy pants, the long shirts that extend below the jacket to cover up their boxers... it's just sad. No wonder you can't get a job, you look like a fool. Pull your pants up and forget about making a statement.

I like some rap, I won't lie. The rap I do hate is the stuff that encourages kids to continue on in the lifestyle of drugs, promiscuity, the whole "gangsta" mindset. It's just ludicrous.

Personally, I think BET is the worst thing that's ever happened to black people.

Just saying... :-/
~A
Jackson, MI

Old 04-04-2008, 06:07 PM

172 posts, read 769,235 times
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
I just wanted to say that I really appreciate what you guys are doing here. Usually when the issue of race appears, the discussion quickly turns into a fight, with accusations of racism flying both way and nothing constructive being said ...
Kudos to all of you. I wish more controversial issues would be discussed this way...
Yac.

I am glad to hear this. The only way we are ever going to conquer any racial related issues is when all sides are able to state what they feel without being labeled a racist or a bigot . Black people are the ones that need to wake up the most. Fortunately, I am running into other blacks who feel the same way I do on these issues. Maybe the race will improve and join the rest of the USA and become the productive citizens I know we can be.

Well, back to the Phoenix forum I go. I wish you all the best.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:14 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyphonicSpr33 View Post
I'm only 23. I grew up mostly in Suburbia... ironically, the block my parents live on (I only lived with them there for 2 years, went to college after) is white minority. :-/
Anyway.
I've never experienced white flight, because I've lived with my folks in nice places and then I've been going to SAU, a very predominately white school, but I have my own thoughts.
I love everyone. Every race, sexuality, creed, whatever. I'm going into youth ministry. I am a fervant Christian. I'm not racist in the slightest...
However...
I hate the urban sub-culture. I hate most rap. It really angers me when a car drives by and some kid is hanging out the window and the bass is vibrating the windows. I hate seeing kids walking around in their puffy jackets with furred hoods, ultra baggy pants, the long shirts that extend below the jacket to cover up their boxers... it's just sad. No wonder you can't get a job, you look like a fool. Pull your pants up and forget about making a statement.

I like some rap, I won't lie. The rap I do hate is the stuff that encourages kids to continue on in the lifestyle of drugs, promiscuity, the whole "gangsta" mindset. It's just ludicrous.

Personally, I think BET is the worst thing that's ever happened to black people.

~A
Jackson, MI
My sentiments to a large extent. Being African-American, I almost never watch BET. In fact, the only good thing on BET is Different Strokes. Other than that, alot of trash. I don't do the 'gangsta' thing. Good thing I'm in college(and even here I can get kidded for it, by almost anyone). My own math teacher from high school put it best when she said part of the reason for the decay in the African-American community is the attitude towards education as being a "white thing". BTW, what is going on in Jackson,MI?

Old 04-04-2008, 06:15 PM

172 posts, read 769,235 times
Quote:
Anyway.
However...

~A
Jackson, MI
I thought I was done but didn't see this post. BET is the worse thing that has happened to black people. When BET disappears it will be the happiest day of my life. There are three things on BET:

1. Movies about black men in that shady areas of So. Cal who end up in jail and glorify the prison lifestyle.
2. Movies about pimps and the many women that work for them.
3. Reality shows such as "College Hill" that make me wonder if the younger generation was raised by wolves.

I am 26 and don't relate to any of this crap. I thank my parents everyday for giving me the polar opposite lifestlye.

I love the comment about the puffy jackets with the furry hoods. Those anger me too

Old 04-04-2008, 08:18 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,412 times
Regarding the original topic (if it hasn't been posted already. I skipped over a number of pages because it was going into left field.)

The concept of "white flight" as the OP describes implies some sort of "group think." It's indicative of the naive belief that is prevalent in black culture of colors sticking together. (Which blacks commonly do-- whites don't... Even the "Black State of the Union" had a bunch of "leaders" of the black community placing color before principle.)

"White flight" isn't a group of white people saying "hey! We better get out of here 'cause the blacks are coming!"

The occurrence of white flight is relatively independant of blacks. If a person of any color moves onto a block and fails to maintain the lawn, etc. in a way consistent with the neighborhood, then one person on the block says (and this is just like a sell-off on the stock market) "I'm going to sell before this goes too far." They sell, perhaps cheap, because there's grass swaying across the street, just to get out before values tank. Now, because the neighborhood is showing signs of declining values with the record of a cheap sale, everyone starts getting nervous... and starts selling.

This isn't because of blacks. This is because a person wasn't taking care of their property in a fashion consistent with the neighborhood and the values it demanded. Therefore, the price fell and people panicked to get out with as much value as they could while scum took over the neighborhood.

It's not required that the scum be black. They simply have to be people that don't care for their property-- that's when it becomes a ghetto.

If you tried to sell a house and the white kid across the street was blaring "rock and roll," the potential buyer wouldn't deem it "a white kid lashing out." They'd deem it a white-trash neighborhood and wouldn't touch the property.

If your white trash neighbor is doing such a thing, white people don't say "he's just a kid." White people say, "That motherfcker, I'd like to shove that speaker square up his ass" and then start searching for ways to remedy the situation.

But the thing is, you don't see stuff like that in decent neighborhoods. When people pay good money for their property, they take care of it and that's why the values stay high and it's not a "ghetto."

In conclusion, you assume too much... too much about whites. People don't take kindly to dirt balls of any color interrupting the enjoyment of our homes.

Further, although I take no offense to the question, do know that it was racist. You assumed that all whites think alike. Maybe the idiot few will put their house up for sale when they see a black, but they're the exception.

Lastly, if you're thinking Southfield to be an example of white flight, it's not. Southfield was owned by Jews. I believe they lean more towards "group think," but I'm not 100%.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:32 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,729 times
Some of the above statement I can see as truth.

My hubby has more than once said those very words.. "I'd like to stick that speaker up his ..."

And once it was hip hop music and then another time it was rock and roll. Most people who have sense do not want to hear someone else's music. Most people want to hear trees swaying, birds chirping.

Boy, I sure can't wait to go up north this summer. SOLITUDE!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
My sentiments to a large extent. Being African-American, I almost never watch BET. In fact, the only good thing on BET is Different Strokes. Other than that, alot of trash. I don't do the 'gangsta' thing. Good thing I'm in college(and even here I can get kidded for it, by almost anyone). My own math teacher from high school put it best when she said part of the reason for the decay in the African-American community is the attitude towards education as being a "white thing". BTW, what is going on in Jackson,MI?
One of my best friends in college is black. He's a worship arts major and going into church leadership. He's extremely well-mannered and well-spoken.
The rest of the SAU black community will tease him for being so eloquent, accusing him of "speaking white." To which Frank responds with, "I don't speak white, I speak right."

IMHO, the word "ask" should never, ever be pronounced "axe."
Ebonics slaughters the English language! Make it stop!
Lol.

Not much here in J-Town. Economy sucks, we just lost another 300 jobs or so. Something around there. I'm glad my fiance's going to be a teacher, because after she graduates we're getting the heck outta dodge. :-/

Old 04-05-2008, 10:12 AM

5 posts, read 8,413 times
Default compelled to chime in

Lets say you were going to buy a car and looked up the repair history. You found that more than 1/3 of this model had serious problems. Unless you were in love with the way the car looked or some other reason, it seems rational to pass on buying it.

Next, you are an insurance company, and Mr Jones wants to buy life insurance but he smokes, overweight, sky dives, water skis, and is a professional kick boxer. OK, maybe they don't all go together but the bottom line is this guy is a high risk. Chances are the insurance rate for this guy is going to be much higher than someone else. In both cases you make a rational decision supported by facts. You don't question why the car breaks. You don't question that high risk behavior leads to short lifetime.

Now you are making a decision where to live, play go to school, etc. Forget for a moment the cultural differences that may not appeal to you and look at the straight facts. One in three young black men is somehow involved in the corrections system. That means he is either charged, pending charges, on parole or convicted and in prison. These are speculations or subjective opinions they are facts. Again, never mind all the social reasons why these statistics occur. They just do.

Given these facts, would you rather live in an area where there is a far greater incidence of crime or among people where statistically, the probability of crime is higher?

I don't like brussel sprouts. Don't care for the taste, the texture or the smell. I'm not saying this is right or wrong. It is just my preferences. Why should I be made to feel guilty if I choose not to live among blacks? Why will this post receive flames and I'll be called a racist?

Doesn't Rev Wright have a disposition, hatred and tendancy to blame all whites for the plight of blacks? Why would he be allowed to say these things in a public forum and I would be charged with racism or inciting a riot for saying the same things. At least in my case, the facts I use are true. Can Rev Wright offer one shred of evidence that "white people caused blacks to become dependant on cocaine" or some other totally fabricated factoid he preaches?

Old 04-05-2008, 10:22 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
One of my best friends in college is black. He's a worship arts major and going into church leadership. He's extremely well-mannered and well-spoken.
The rest of the SAU black community will tease him for being so eloquent, accusing him of "speaking white." To which Frank responds with, "I don't speak white, I speak right."

IMHO, the word "ask" should never, ever be pronounced "axe."
Ebonics slaughters the English language! Make it stop!
Lol.

Not much here in J-Town. Economy sucks, we just lost another 300 jobs or so. Something around there. I'm glad my fiance's going to be a teacher, because after she graduates we're getting the heck outta dodge. :-/
He's not alone. I received the same response in high school and not just from the blacks either, but some of the whites too. That is a major problem in America now.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michlin_man View Post
At least in my case, the facts I use are true. Can Rev Wright offer one shred of evidence that "white people caused blacks to become dependant on cocaine" or some other totally fabricated factoid he preaches?
Don't blame whites, blame Columbians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies