Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 10:54 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
I obsess over phrasing and intent.
I think you should worry more about content, and less about rhetoric, RedWingsFan...oops, I mean One Thousand.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:03 PM

480 posts, read 1,917,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
That makes sense to me.

Not trying to prove anything. I just like to hear what people think. If I hear something that doesn't make sense to me, I ask for clarity... Some people bowl... I obsess over phrasing and intent.

Edit: Asking where you're from is because I have some theories about the way people communicate and where they come from. When there's a manner of communicating that I think I recognize, I like to see if I'm right.
Akron, OH originally. Now in the DC/Baltimore area.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
the author says this is not a racist thread. Please look again.
who said Detroit has a race problem? Detroit has a violence problem not a race problem. Lots of decent black folks leave detroit, they want a better life too.
I have a dream.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:53 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
I think you should worry more about content, and less about rhetoric, RedWingsFan...oops, I mean One Thousand.
This is the only user name I've used on this site, but thanks for the advice. In return, I suggest you consider the meaning of "content." Is it what is perceived by the reader or the intent of the poster? When the intent appears ambiguous, if you're truly concerned with content, shouldn't you pursue the meaning?

Old 04-10-2008, 02:31 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,132 times
I suggest all of you calm down and talk about the topic, not each other.
Please.
Yac.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:21 AM

837 posts, read 2,334,428 times
You can debate about this back and forth all you want. The point is Sububanites NEED to feel that inner-city's are crime-ridden and horrible to justify within themselves the reason they pay 5 times as much for a home, and commute 2-3 hours each day.
Trying to explain what it is to be a minority to a NON-minority is like a women trying to explain to a man what it feels like to have a baby, or a period. They just don't get it, and never will! ..........and vice versus!
-I've been on internet forums for years, and believe it isn't just THIS forum it's everywhere. The anonymity of the internet gives people an ungodly amount of courage to speak their mind. Only thing it does for me is lets me know how people really feel, and I keep my guard up at all times.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:45 PM

22 posts, read 56,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
I have no problem with white people moving away from a declining city, I'm black I wouldn't want to live in Detroit either. But the neighborhood that I grew up in Michigan was almost 100% white at first. We were one of the first black families to move to that neighborhood. It was a nice neighborhood, the black people moving in were working class blacks, engineers, teachers, etc. By time I moved to Alabama the neighborhood was 100% black, why all the fear the neighborhood didn't go down its still a nice neighborhood. And the school district didn't go down either the area was still majority white. Lets see what some of the black kids from the neighborhood ended up being. My house, engineer, teacher, IT. Across the street, accountant, engineer. Next door, another accountant, and some kind of other professional. Don't think any of us are in jail, or getting food stamps. Some of the posts on this topic are horrendous especially the stereotyping of a whole race and people who are against any kind of multiculturalism. I can say one thing for the South where I live, white people do not move out quick after a black moves into a neighborhood. The economy is doing good here so I think that really helps.. when times get rough like they are in Michigan people start to show their true selves. I feel sorry for some of the people in this forum they are 100% bigoted racists and they don't even realize it. Good thing its not acceptable to be an open racist these days because I think some of you would probably support institutionalized racism and hate crimes like the old days if you could.
To bad they won't have it. They are like dying dinosaurs, on thier way to extinction. This why they are so angry, thier way of life is desolving in from them so they have to be angry at somebody. That's what losers do

Old 04-10-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
Trying to explain what it is to be a minority to a NON-minority...and vice versus!
Would it be accurate, then, to say "You believe that the question of whether or not there is a moral violation in the trend we call 'white flight' is invalid?" because no one can understand the perspective of anyone else and, therefore, cannot form opinions based on their related life experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccain View Post
To bad they won't have it. They are like dying dinosaurs, on thier way to extinction. This why they are so angry, thier way of life is desolving in from them so they have to be angry at somebody. That's what losers do
Would you please define racist?

Old 04-10-2008, 10:45 PM

316 posts, read 1,181,641 times
What is funny is when people talk about things such as hiding behind a computer for courage. Well, what should people do? Go up to black folks or ignorant white people and tell them what they think? That is dangerous and solves nothing. This thread has no answer and neither does the problems of race relations in Detroit or Michigan.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deslok View Post
This thread has no answer...
The more I experience, the more I suspect that the reality is that most people who use the race card are just using it to justify their personal failures or a tool to preserve their egos from the reality that others dislike them on account of who they are rather than what color they are. It's easy to cry racism.

I suspect the racists-- those who associate behaviors with race or expect certain behaviors or beliefs to accompany race-- are the ones who use the race card. I'm coming to believe this because, as far as I can tell, as blacks rise through the ranks of respectable American society (the Powels, Rices and Thomas's), they're the "Uncle Toms," whereas, the ones who just gain notoriety for being human filth (rappers) who either encourage self-destructive behavior or encourage a sense of helplessness, are celebrated as successful blacks.

That the "Black State of the Union" conference laid bare "race comes before principle," makes it pretty clear that "white flight" is understandable... and includes respectable black as part of the movement... Atleast that's what I think I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies