Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2008, 08:35 AM

81 posts, read 254,354 times

Advertisements

This has been a very good thread. Im in a similar situation here in louisville ky. Now louisville is like the 8th safest city over 500k in the country so i dont have the problems some of you have, but after seeing first hand of the crime increase in my area twice in 2 weeks, the leaving of whites, thugs walking around in groups of 8-10 with that (imma rob you look) the gentrification of downtown, bla bla bla, i think im leaving the place i love and grew up in. Headed to the exurbs of Louisville with virtually no crime.

I have one life and i dont feel its my job to stay in an area whereas if i did stay for the (better of mankind) and everyone else left would ever get any amount of appreciation, more than likely it would be the opposite, ive lived in black areas where i was the minority, not the most friendly. Sure i had great black friends but the ones that threw rocks at me and broke in to my friends house took center stage of course.On top of that i could sense the racism that went along with it. Still ive had more black friends than white i think. Not as ive gotten older though,mmmm..

And why do whites need to stay for an area to not go to **** anyway? Why cant the ones there do it? Whats the problem? Im not gonna go into my theory on why some black americans are so prone to fail.

But i came from a verrry broken single parent (if that) home with very little to look up to and i kept my pecker in my pants. Me and my GF of 13 years (im 30 she was my first gf) decided we were not going to go the route our parents did. We dumped the crap friends we had had no sex and grew up...are still growing up actually. Its not easy to escape/overcome your family and past but it can be done.

IMO black folks need to stop worrying about what whites think of them, they will drive themselves nuts, there are to many variables and you cant please everyone all the time. Working/going to school being respectful does not make you a sellout. In fact its your ONLY chance. 50 cent is a sack of shat crackdealer who got lucky. And one more for the ladies....its a vagina, not a clown car. Unless you can support them, i cant thats why im waiting till i can.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:02 PM

7 posts, read 11,874 times
Default white flight

Data?? What data are you talking about??? There is just as much crime in low income white areas as well a black. And the reason you would find more out of wed lock babies is not black. White people hide away there daughters and act like they never had a baby. And most importantly when you are born with a half black parent and white parent you are still labeled as black on your birth certificate..........so is that good statistical data ???? But if you have a Korean and white parent you are labeled as white. Be honest whites do not want any black filtered into there race or community but they are willing to take any other nationality which why America is where it is at ....it will be called little Iraq by 2035. This why there is white flight!!!

Old 05-30-2008, 07:36 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Well, I moved out of Detroit because it just got worse and worse. While my kids were in private school, it wasn't too bad but when the economy turned (80's) and we had to put them in public school, it was BAD. We got out as soon as we could.

Why blame people for wanting to move their family to a safer area with better schools? I'm not going to hang around where I can't even take a walk or shop at local stores without taking my life into my hands. I was driving to the suburbs for everything anyhow, might as well move there.

My worst experience with separatism in Detroit is when a group of kids (black) killed my cat. A neighbor (half black/white) saw them but would not talk to the police because I'm white. He said he wasn't going to rat out black kids for a white woman. This is someone I lived down the block from for 17 years. His grandson used to baby sit for me but when push came to shove, color of skin determined what he believed to be right. I knew we had to get out of the city and never go back after that.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Often it's not about race but other factors like crime. If people actually looked, they'd see that what often is happening is "middle class flight" because black middle class also leave an area that is offering less opportunity and too much crime.

You can't force anyone to stay where they don't want to stay, but the types living in housing projects and on welfare of course have fewer choices than the working people who can relocate to jobs.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:30 PM

144 posts, read 546,704 times
I am so tired of this rhetoric. Mr.248 who began this post (nearly a year ago!) ends his little rant with
Quote:
Please defend yourselves.
I do not see why whites should have to defend themselves for leaving the city. You say you lived in Southfield for most of your life, did you live in Detroit before? And if you did please defend your reasons for leaving "The City".

When a neighbourhood declines to the extent that most of Detroit's neighbourhoods have I don't blame anyone for leaving.

And I am really tired of the mentality that you are trying to peddle.
Quote:
- it seems that no matter what black people do to prove themselves, white America still does not trust us.
How many major U.S. cities have black mayors? Did you even watch the Democratic Party's decision on seating the Michigan and Florida delegates today? Did you even notice how many of those that voted were black? Please don't tell me that "white America" doesn't trust black people. White people have black doctors, black dentists, black teachers.... that should be proof enough that "white America" shows trust in blacks.

Your post sounds like a sanitized version of Mr. Obama's Trinity Church and company. (I'm glad to see at least he appears to have come to his senses and has broken ties with that crew.)

It's not because of blacks that whites leave the city, it's crime, high taxes, bad schools, lousy police protection and the like. (And I can speak from experience having grown up in "The City".)

Quit making yourself a victim.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:44 AM

Default changes

When neighborhoods change people leave. I'm trying to get out of my city because we have gangs of kids roaming the neighborhoods now. I went for a bike ride yesterday and saw two both dropping F-bombs like there's no tomorrow. This is not the environment I want to live in or raise my kids in anymore. This used to be a nice place to live but the quality of people moving in here now has sunk to a new low.

I don't care what color my neighbors are but I'd like to be able to go to the park without hearing the F word and the N word dropped just to see how people react. These kids would swear and then look around daring anyone to say anything to them. If the people moving in here can't raise their kids better than this, I feel no obligation to stay.

5 years ago, I used to take my kids to the park every day and never heard the F word or the N word. I felt comfortable with them in the neighborhood schools. I didn't see gangs of kids roaming the streets. If I left a bike in the driveway, it was still there 5 minutes later. I didn't need a locking gas cap on my car. Call it white flight if you want but it's self preservation. Housing values will continue to drop here even after the market recovers because the neighborhoods are going down hill. It's time to get out.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Often it's not about race but other factors like crime. If people actually looked, they'd see that what often is happening is "middle class flight" because black middle class also leave an area that is offering less opportunity and too much crime.

You can't force anyone to stay where they don't want to stay, but the types living in housing projects and on welfare of course have fewer choices than the working people who can relocate to jobs.
I totally agree with you. I'm leaving for greener pastures because I can afford to and I don't like what's happening where I live. I can afford a more expensive house and living where houses are more expensive means better neighbors from who I see moving in here as housing prices continue to fall. While I have some nice new neighbors, I'm also seeing gangs of kids roaming the neighborhood stirring up trouble. I see this only getting worse.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:43 PM

48 posts, read 149,978 times
Police brutality has no racial profile . I have had a many of white friends being beat by white cops . Police brutality happens too all races and all ethnic groups .I was joking with my friends and a white cop for no reason thought i was racist against italians soo he took me out and yelled at me and pushed me against a wall hard and started choking me the sick part is he was a cop from another state .I have also had a cop almost hit me at night with no head lights on . A cop shoot my neighbors chiquawa and killed it . I have had friends who were thrown of their quads and beaten . I had as friend who was in the wrong part of the mall . The cop told him too move . The cop came back too the spot later too see the kid was in the same spot . The kid was dragged on his face and thrown into a door and they broke his nose . The kid did not even resist arrest . There are 4 different groups in america . This is how the iq goes . Highest are Asians - Whites - hispanics - blacks This is how the wealth goes Highest is Asians - Whites - Hispanics - Blacks Here is how the crime rate goes Highest is Blacks - Hispanics - Whites - Asians . Do we see a pattern here? I see a pattern of genetics creating the problems not the neighborhoods creating the problem ,Asians have higher iqs in their own third world countries than the iq's the much more wealthy america has . Asians in the early california asian ghettos had less crime than the surrounding middle class areas .China towns are often considered the safest parts of cities even today . Sure there are many different genetics patterns in every person . But over all i think the general genetic tendencies of certain people is what keeps them down . I would say that violence - low intelligence and poverty are based on genetics . Everyones genetics are different . I think genetics of certain people give them more or less ambition more or less violent tendencies . More or less mental illness . More or less intelligence . Look at pope john paul he grew up poor and rough he lived through nazi invaders and communism yet he was a wonderiful person look at mother theresa she grew up in a poor country yet she dedicated her life too helping others . Than you have people like osama bin laden who grew up in wealth and comfort and are miserable violent people . Or saddams son who grew up in wealth and privilage yet would torture soccer players in torture devices if the soccer players did not please them . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
OK, here are some FACTS about "White Flight".

1. July 12, 1967, a black cab driver (John Smith), in Newark NJ. was beaten by white police officers because they claimed he had hit a police car. Word had gotten around the black community that Mr. Smith was still being beat in the Police Dept. And so, a crowd of black folks gathered in front of the P.D. Meanwhile, Mr. Smith had been taken to a nearby hospital. Thus, starting a 6 day riot and then, the infamous "White Flight" in many cities including Detroit and Chicago.
2. The cause......poverty and police brutality. Many blacks came from the South to find jobs. Once they got to Newark, NJ there was none to be had....for a person of color anyways.
3. They 1st looted stores, etc. they had personal issues with. One particular store was adding 5$ to each bill at the cash register. Of course, that store was looted.
4. Of the 13,000 rounds fired during the 6 day riot, less than 100 came from the rioters. The rest came from city police officers, state troopers and the National Gaurd.

I could go on and on about this. And, I know this isn't directly FOR Southfield BUT, it is what began the nationwide flight of white people to "safer" more "secure" neighborhoods. MY personal opinion is whites created the problem back when slavery was still legal. Blacks continue to hold a grudge. And, whites continue to hold a lot of the cards. However, I feel if blacks feel the need to hold grudges, they should also hold some grudges against "their own people". It was the richer, higher powered tribes in Africa that sold the less fortunate blacks to be used as slavery.

P.S. In case there's any question, I am a white woman lol....So much so that a friend calls me Casper :P

Last edited by Existtoexit; 06-25-2008 at 11:34 PM..

Old 06-25-2008, 10:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
its not white flight, its yuppie flight, black & white professionals, poor folk know when the jeffersons leave its guna be even worse. i think white flight is sometimes used to make people feel guilty about leaving their neighborhood.
does not work with non whites. love and safety are better motivators to get people to stay than guilt. ps i am not white.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:05 PM

48 posts, read 149,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its not white flight, its yuppie flight, black & white professionals, poor folk know when the jeffersons leave its guna be even worse. i think white flight is sometimes used to make people feel guilty about leaving their neighborhood.
does not work with non whites. love and safety are better motivators to get people to stay than guilt. ps i am not white.

I tend too disagree . What is you definition of yuppy? Yuppies are people who are rich and young . Young people in general are more likely too live in cities whether they are rich or poor . IT is the families of The middle - Low middle class whites who move out , ( The upper class families have always been in the suburb s)It has too do with raising a family ,Even if you are lower middle class have too struggle too pay for a 2 bedroom house in a suburb it is worth the struggle too give your kids a better upbringing .Once the kids of a family move out in their 20's many of them end up moving into retro renovations in major city down towns . These people who are rich are yuppies . In cities all over the country and this includes harlem , williams burgh even newark and cities everywhere in this country yuppies are the ones moving back too the cities . Yuppies are young and rich They tend too live in the rich end of the city .

- I live two counties north of the bronx . Most of the parents grew up in ghettos , The projects . And even middle class neighborhoods in the bronx . This whole county is almost all families who moved out of the bronx and brooklyn and buy a cheap 1 or two bedroom house . The kids grow up and are raised in a lower - middle class neighborhood , They get out at age 20 or soo and end up moving back too the bronx and brooklyn and they end up renting apartments . It is a cycle . Once those kids start a family most of them will move back too the suburbs .

Last edited by Existtoexit; 06-25-2008 at 11:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies