Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 12:40 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I don't know if you read this person's post fully. What he meant was there there is no point in trying to avoid blacks because they will be on the move as well, unless you are suggesting that blacks moving into another area is bad, in which I hope you're not saying that.
Exactly......It's not just Blacks either, but other groups of color are moving to various types of communities as well.

What might happen is a reverse effect that is similar to Europe where the suburbs are where the poor(generally people of color) live and the city is where the wealthy or rich(generally Whites) live. So, we just might live in a country with cyclical flight in terms housing patterns and ethnicity/race.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:47 PM

As for Novi and West Bloomfield, I believe that both are getting an influx of people of color, but the quality of life seems to be at a high level. Check this out:Novi Community School District schools - district elementary, middle, and high school information

West Bloomfield School District schools - district elementary, middle, and high school information (Scroll down for the racial demographics of the schools)

Farmington Hills, has always had some diversity from what I know considering that Farmington was an Underground RR town and is close to Detroit. Again, it is a community with a high quality of life though. Demographics for the schools there is an example of this:Farmington Public School District schools - district elementary, middle, and high school information

Old 04-08-2009, 08:54 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
because when a community becomes inundated with blacks 95% of the time the crime rate will rise over 3x what it was previously and property values will fall.

not politically correct, but the truth.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
because when a community becomes inundated with blacks 95% of the time the crime rate will rise over 3x what it was previously and property values will fall.

Where's the proof for that? 95%?

Old 04-08-2009, 11:20 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post

Not always. Most of the time when the crime rate rises, it is usually people who are in the lower income brackets and/or the said area is bordering another bad area which can create a spillover of crime. There might be a correlation between race and crime, but correlation is not causation. There are many places that have large black populations and they do not have major issues with crime. There are examples. Lathrup Village is majority black and the crime rate is relatively low. I checked the stats on city-data. Part of it is that Lathrup Village is a high-income area and this means most of the blue-collar crime will be lower.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:34 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
I don't see any point to white flight. So you move away from a black's, then in about 10 years or less blacks move into the white area and you continue to move out of that community and in about the same time again blacks move into the white area again.
That's the whole problem with the current state of affairs. The Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness of those who want away from urban conditions in compromised. All the blacks have to do to take over is arrive.

White flight may or may not be right, but it *is* the reaction to the effects of an area africanizing. I.e. the well documented increase in problems and decrease in values.

Then to add to the whole aggravation, if folks move back into "the hood" and property values go up... everyone screams "gentrification!".

You can't win this one under the current social conditions. Which of course is leading to a new phenomenon. "White Fatigue" wherein folks are just plain getting tired of hearing about "black this, black that" and "white guilt this, white entitlement that".

Problem is, africanization is on the increase. As I review different metro areas as part of career planning, more and more the numbers are increasingly africanized. Making the planning that much more problematic.

For example,

"Take a six figure job?"
"Sure..."
"It's in Detriot."
"Ah crap, have I got enough savings left to find the same job somewhere else?"

Bottom line is, people are willing to pay good money or for go it to avoid the whole situation.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:49 AM

999 posts, read 4,527,992 times
Quote:
Lathrup Village is majority black and the crime rate is relatively low.
How long has Lathrup Village been majority black and where is the crime rate low relative to?

Old 04-09-2009, 06:47 AM

937 posts, read 2,834,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
That's the whole problem with the current state of affairs. The Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness of those who want away from urban conditions in compromised. All the blacks have to do to take over is arrive.

White flight may or may not be right, but it *is* the reaction to the effects of an area africanizing. I.e. the well documented increase in problems and decrease in values.

Then to add to the whole aggravation, if folks move back into "the hood" and property values go up... everyone screams "gentrification!".

You can't win this one under the current social conditions. Which of course is leading to a new phenomenon. "White Fatigue" wherein folks are just plain getting tired of hearing about "black this, black that" and "white guilt this, white entitlement that".

Problem is, africanization is on the increase. As I review different metro areas as part of career planning, more and more the numbers are increasingly africanized. Making the planning that much more problematic.

For example,

"Take a six figure job?"
"Sure..."
"It's in Detriot."
"Ah crap, have I got enough savings left to find the same job somewhere else?"

Bottom line is, people are willing to pay good money or for go it to avoid the whole situation.
Bingo. I feel that once the housing market goes back up, the renters should move back out and the africanizing will cease.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:23 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
How long has Lathrup Village been majority black and where is the crime rate low relative to?
I don't know, but the crime rate in Lathrup is lower than in Taylor or Pontiac. I have proof.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Lathru...-Michigan.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Taylor-Michigan.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Pontiac-Michigan.html

There is no simple cause to crime. There are many factors.

Last edited by green_mariner; 04-09-2009 at 11:42 AM..

Old 04-09-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Not always. Most of the time when the crime rate rises, it is usually people who are in the lower income brackets and/or the said area is bordering another bad area which can create a spillover of crime. There might be a correlation between race and crime, but correlation is not causation. There are many places that have large black populations and they do not have major issues with crime. There are examples. Lathrup Village is majority black and the crime rate is relatively low. I checked the stats on city-data. Part of it is that Lathrup Village is a high-income area and this means most of the blue-collar crime will be lower.

That information on Lathrup Village is even more interesting because it is surrounded by predominately Black Southfield. I've actually been to both and besides demographics, it didn't look that much different from most of the other suburbs in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies