Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 11:42 AM

914 posts, read 4,443,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Maybe you don't understand the terminology..disposable vs discretionary income and what it consists of.

Disposable and discretionary income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you, that was helpful! But I still don't understand why the OP considers what is paid to people on their behalf "disposible income" because it is not paid to them as "income". For instance, if I were a Medicaid patient and the government spent $150.00 so I could go to the doctor, that money would be paid to the provider, not me. And even if somehow you were counting that as "income", how can that be directly compared with $150 someone was paid for doing their job? In reality they are two very different things.

Additionally, this compares two groups that have totally different standards of living. That seems wonky to me as well.

I don't disagree that people who make slightly more than people who qualify for assistance programs are getting totally hosed by society. But it seems to me the argument here is comparing apples with oranges, existing only so people who make $60,000 think people living on minimum wage are living better than them, which isn't true. (Again, you can't compare two different standards of living and call them equal.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 11:45 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You didn't read very accurately. The family of three is a single head of houshold with two kids. The family of four is a two parent middle class household with two kids; note the same childcare cost.

Easy to see how you made the mistake, though... you find it difficult to acknowledge the ugly truth.
Note there is only one column with the mentioned more disposable income than the family making $60,000/year. At the top it's referred to as a family of 3 making minimum wage and in the link a family of 4 making minimum wage having more disposable than the $60K family. The inaccuracy here is mentioning two different sized families yet having only 1 column with higher disposable income in the table.

WHICH is it? 3 or 4?

I believe it's you not reading very accurately, either that or you can't face the ugly truth of the inaccurate information you posted.

Last edited by burdell; 11-22-2010 at 12:06 PM..

Old 11-22-2010, 11:56 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
I read this from another source recently and was astounded. This is truly pathetic! Entitlements are a joke and I just hope the new Republicans heading to congress and do away with them asap.
So what do you want to see happen? Entitlements ended and the minimum wage people start begging you for money much worse than ever before in the street every time you turn around? I don't think all of them will act nice to you after you refuse them.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:02 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,550 times
i think tanif and medicaid are the same thing so they are counting it twice also i never knew anyone who got 6000 in food stamps if they worked. also if you work you can not collect any welfare money. i dont think you can get rent assistance either unless you are not working.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:06 PM

914 posts, read 4,443,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
i think tanif and medicaid are the same thing so your counting it twice also i never knew anyone who got 6000 in food stamps if they worked. also if you work you can not collect any welfare money.
They're not the same thing, but you are right in that you probably wouldn't receive benefits from both at once. What this argument fairs to acknowledge is that these programs have enrollment criteria beyond, "Hello, I'm poor, so I should get free stuff."

Old 11-22-2010, 12:07 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Default Not that I want to dampen the righteous indignance...

- but can't help noticing that our 60K guy isn't getting a red dime in employer benefits. Not saying it couldn't happen, but...

Old 11-22-2010, 12:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So what do you want to see happen? Entitlements ended and the minimum wage people start begging you for money much worse than ever before in the street every time you turn around? I don't think all of them will act nice to you after you refuse them.
Actually I would think the opposite.
That these entitlements cannot go away and will just increase as prices increase and take on more people as their standard of living falls.

That was the shocker to me...that we cannot cut them loose.
It will only get worse..they will need more government money to survive and more people will be dropping under that line and will start to require government money also to exist.

I think...we can't contain this can we ?

Old 11-22-2010, 12:10 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,384,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
...or no job at all, because that PAYS better benefits.
Sure we can all live off the government in Candyland. No one works except government employees. They will be the ruling class and the entitled class will be the slaves whom if they disobey the government will be cutoff and starved to death.. Wonderful

Old 11-22-2010, 12:12 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Ok. So they get money for shelter. But I doubt the section 8 apartment is very nice. The person making 60k might not get government assistance for shelter, but they can afford a nicer place to live. That is why they don't get government assistance.

Like I said earlier, everyone would work for minimum wage if those people really had it so good.

And like another poster said, not everyone on minimum wage uses all those programs.
That’s a popular misconception. Not all Section 8 housing is located in poor urban areas. There are many single-family homes located in nice suburban locations being rented to Section 8. In fact, during our current housing crisis, more homeowners are opting to rent to Section 8 rather than lose their homes. You would be surprised at some of the nice houses that are now being rented through government subsidies.

Quote:
In an effort to fill the thousands of empty houses left by the market's big slide, landlords are looking for tenants any which way they can. In opening their properties to Section 8 participants, landlords are finding tenants whose rental payment is partially subsidized and guaranteed by the government.
Bay Area town wooing Section 8 renters : On The Block - Real Estate

Who’s benefiting from the housing bust? Subsidized tenants. Who

Old 11-22-2010, 12:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
This data would be a lot more useful if someone offered a concrete number of people who are actually using the system this way. I.E. how many people qualify for all government programs and are actually using them. It isn't easy to get section 8 or disability in CA, and I imagine that is true in most other states.

I am happy the president is focusing on holding down health care costs. That is one area in a family budget you have zero control over and it causes many people to spiral from doing OK to bankruptcy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies