Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 11:11 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,363,895 times

Advertisements

To those who say Africa's problems have no U.S connection. I do think African countries need government reform but some U.S oil companies aren't helping matters.

Quote:
Mr Etomi says their fieldwork highlighted how conflict makes it difficult for it to operate safely and with integrity and "how we sometimes feed conflict by the way we award contracts, gain access to land, and deal with community representatives".

BBC NEWS | Business | Shell admits fuelling corruption
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 11:30 PM

507 posts, read 678,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Quick Enough..eventually all problems work their way back to the US.
Remember the global food crisis a few years back. The US practically emptied their stock piles and one receiving country was..you guessed it..Africa.

We are global now like it or not.
I understand where you are coming from, and I hate to nitpick, but Africa is not a country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanskills View Post
Africans are keeping Africa poor.

The United States is the most powerful Nation that has EVER existed on the planet after a few only a few hundred years...

Africa is dirt poor after being around for thousands upon thousands of years..

They need to look in the mirror and get their **** together...
This goes in line with what I wrote above, but Africa is not a one nation. It's a continent. So comparing an entire continent to one country is completely ridiculous.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:52 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,757,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanskills View Post
Africans are keeping Africa poor.

The United States is the most powerful Nation that has EVER existed on the planet after a few only a few hundred years...

Africa is dirt poor after being around for thousands upon thousands of years..

They need to look in the mirror and get their **** together...

Google "The Scramble for Africa". Better yet, read a book about it. Get back to me when you do that.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:55 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,367 times
The worst thing we've done to Africa is help them. Also it's the Africans keeping other Africans poor.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:01 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,757,440 times
The worst thing that happened to Africa was Europe.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:43 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
To those who say Africa's problems have no U.S connection. I do think African countries need government reform but some U.S oil companies aren't helping matters.
You know it's funny, I went back to all the posts previous to yours and I don't see in ANY post where someone said "Africa's problems have no U.S connection"

Words out of thin air, gotta love it.....

Old 11-24-2010, 12:47 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Google "The Scramble for Africa". Better yet, read a book about it. Get back to me when you do that.
I'll read that book if you'll read about the current thinking by the experts on why Africa is still a 3rd world continent....

Old 11-24-2010, 01:05 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
Most of Africa's problems, are caused by Africans.
Last time I looked, most of Africa's rulers-for-life, weren't Swedish?

Steve
Perhaps then we shouldn't deal with and/or support dictators and corrupt governments?

Whoops, that would be too consistent with our preached values!

Old 11-24-2010, 06:27 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Whether we like it or not, Europe and later on the US and other foreigners, too, are largely responsible for Africa's lingering problems.
We went there and destroyed their working societies before the beginning of industrialization, i.e. when Europeans themselves were still largely poor and hopping from one war to the next. When we became developed countries, it was at the expense of the colonies.
The institution of the typical corrupt African dictator also dates back to colonial times.
And yes, we are keeping Africa down and always have. Merely by drawing the borders where they are the Brits, French and others have ensured Africans will have internal struggles for centuries to come.
Africans are no different from Europeans, not less intelligent etc. Look at the trouble in Belgium between those two ethnic groups, despite Belgium being a rich country. Or look at how Yugoslavia exploded. And compared to the forced ethnic and religious mix you have in many African countries that is nothing.
It is also no secret that for every dollar of aid we send to Africa, more than a dollar leaves Africa and goes straight into our pockets.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:22 AM

243 posts, read 274,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Quick Enough..eventually all problems work their way back to the US.
Remember the global food crisis a few years back. The US practically emptied their stock piles and one receiving country was..you guessed it..Africa.

We are global now like it or not.
Would the "global community" empty their stockpiles to feed us if we were starving? I'm going to state the obvious, NO! With the exception of maybe Europe and Australia even if they had plenty they'd either ignore us or laugh at our expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies