Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2010, 05:53 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,631,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Yet you say in other threads that you're "content" with your life as it is - so there you go. It's YOUR choice.
Yes, I don't have a problem with it. I'm just stating the facts as they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 05:55 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,178,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Well bizarre is pretty descriptive of certain posters' thought processes from what I see here.
What must suck for some landlords is getting stuck with a renter for months on end who doesn't pay rent. I hear eviction takes some time.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
First, who's fault is it that you didn't require a written agreement prior to moving into the property?

Second, a quick look at Florida's Landlord/Tenant law shows that a month to month tenancy requires 15 days notice - so it looks like your landlords were within the law.

And third, Landlord/Tenant court cases are some of the most user friendly ON THE TENANT SIDE. Tenants can drag their feet til the cows come home ... police will always defer to the court system and can't remove you without an order of eviction from the courts.
Not around here. The cops aren't lawyers or judges. They don't determine what the legal outcomes are, they just remove you. You can fight the legal battles after you get the heck out, or be arrested for trespassing.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:01 PM

17,317 posts, read 14,596,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Not around here. The cops aren't lawyers or judges. They don't determine what the legal outcomes are, they just remove you. You can fight the legal battles after you get the heck out, or be arrested for trespassing.
That's 100% untrue.

From the linked document:

[LEFT]
Quote:

Chapter 83, Part II, of the Florida Statues governs relations between residential landlords and tenants in Florida. Under that law there are only three ways your landlord can get possession of the premises in which you are living: (1) you abandon the premises by not living there for an extended period of time without notifying your landlord or paying your rent; (2) you voluntarily allow the landlord to take possession of
the premises; and (3) the landlord brings a lawsuit in County Court asking the Judge to order that you be evicted.

http://housingissues.org/docs/self-help-evictions.pdf[/LEFT]

Old 11-28-2010, 06:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,809,953 times
Quote:
Hey, face it, tenants have no rights. You got no money, you got no power.
actually tenants have more rights than landlords do, you just have to exercise them. read the laws regarding your situation, and have them handy for when the need arises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
What must suck for some landlords is getting stuck with a renter for months on end who doesn't pay rent. I hear eviction takes some time.
yep, it takes a lot of time, often 90 days or more, and if the tenant pays any rent in that time, the process starts over.

Quote:
then you have grounds for fighting the cops unless they have a valid eviction order from the courts. again lawyers are available to those with minimum means like you.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:04 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,465,069 times
Quote:
the only way they could get you on trespassing is if you dont have a rental agreement..and what kind of uninformed person would rent with out some kind of contract (agreement)

Old 11-28-2010, 06:05 PM

You know the song, "I fought the law and the law won."?

I don't make the mistake of fighting the law. I've never been arrested, and I don't want to start by trying to fight the cops.

I'm telling you what the law reads doesn't matter a bit, when the execution of it is completely different. What judges say is the law, and what cops say is the law is completely different!

Old 11-28-2010, 06:09 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,809,953 times
Quote:
You know the song, "I fought the law and the law won."?

I don't make the mistake of fighting the law. I've never been arrested, and I don't want to start by trying to fight the cops.

I'm telling you what the law reads doesn't matter a bit, when the execution of it is completely different. What judges say is the law, and what cops say is the law is completely different!
you dont fight the cops on the scene, that is stupid, you fight them in court where the law is applied to your case.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:10 PM

Again, you got no money, you got no power.

It's useless to tell me what SHOULD have happened--I'm telling you what DID. Two different things.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:13 PM

17,317 posts, read 14,596,194 times
Quote:
Again, you got no money, you got no power.

It's useless to tell me what SHOULD have happened--I'm telling you what DID. Two different things.
Again, completely untrue.

Landlord/tenant court is extremely user friendly for the tenant. In fact, in every state there are avenues & legal aid groups that help tenants FOR FREE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies