Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 12:04 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,078,767 times

Advertisements

I'm embarrassed...I was in a hurry to get to the barn and thaw out the waterer's and feed and zapped the below off without proof reading. Now the forum will not let me go back and "edit" for corrections, so I am inserting the corrections below in blue...

I will weigh in here as the price of beef is something I am familiar with.

The reason the cost of beef in the market has gone up is because of the environmental crap that has government shutting down the "grazing rights on public lands." This was one of the most ludicrous and stupid acts the government has done. This public land belongs to the public, when beef graze on public land the cost of feeding them goes down and that is because ranchers "lease" this land at very low prices resulting in lower beef prices when the meat hits the markets. IMHO, that's one of the very big benefits (or was) of the public lands...before government screwed up.

Oh, yeah...the argument...cattle ruin the grass! NO! Beef-growing ranches fully understand that one has to take care of the "natural" feed or there won't be any there for next year's beef crop. I personally know of ranchers who ran their cattle in the high-country meadows every summer for over 100 - 150 years and those meadows were in great shape when dear old "UNCLE SAM," in response to environmental-group pressure shut them off. Actually better than if never grazed by the beef, since these cattle leave behind "cow patties" and spread seeds via same plus "cultivate and aerate" the ground as they graze through.

Our deserts had beautiful springs with flowers of all kinds covering miles and miles of desert area...UNTIL...the stupid environmentalists decided the sheep were eating the flowers when they were allowed to travel via "hoof" from south to their northern grounds and now the sheep cannot be anywhere they can be seen from any roads or human occupied areas. Well...now no one can see flowers unless they walk many miles, ride horseback or somehow get out far away (most of the areas are banned to motorized vehicles of any kind)...where the sheep travel the flowers grow, where the sheep have been banned there are scarce flowers, if any. Shows you how much government screws things up all in the name of "pandering" to their "political financial support" for votes. So sick.

And, yes this all comes back to the subject of homelessness! Government has caused most of it by just such stupidity as I describe above. They encourage it by their "hand outs" instead of "good policies" to create pride, work ethic, etc., in one's self instead of self pity which the "give away" mentality creates and grows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 12:10 PM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And we spend more than $60 Billion per year on them we comes out to:

$90,909 per homeless person per year.

That is 6 times more than I make per year, which with VA Disability and the contract work I do, about $14,000 per year.

$90,909 is twice the median income (and that is median and not mean) of households in Ohio.
Here's why it costs so much...
Quote:
...a lot of anti-poverty money is going to people who are not poor. There are whole classes of people who live off the poor -- or rather, off the vast sums of money that are poured out from the public treasury and private philanthropy, in hopes of helping the poor.

Those who intercept the money intended for the poor have been aptly called "poverty pimps." The poor are a commodity to these people, who include not only local politicians, community activists and small-time hustlers, but also people with impressive titles and academic credentials, who likewise milk the larger society, in the name of the poor. At the top of the food chain, as it were, are Ivy League professors who rake in big-time research grants to support themselves and their cronies while they are studying, romanticizing or otherwise exploiting the poor. The poem below is about such people, who are as much poverty pimps as politicians who simply pocket graft from poverty programs or collect votes for promoting lucrative boondoggles...
The Poverty Pimp's Poem - Thomas Sowell

Old 11-30-2010, 12:13 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's stats are skewed to achieve a desired result. You should rely on data from a more neutral organization.

Anyway, accepting your figures for the time being, we're talking about .22% of the population.

I will now teach you something you didn't learn in the 5th Grade.

A figure of 0.22% is 660,000 people.

And we spend more than $60 Billion per year on them we comes out to:

$90,909 per homeless person per year.

That is 6 times more than I make per year, which with VA Disability and the contract work I do, about $14,000 per year.

$90,909 is twice the median income (and that is median and not mean) of households in Ohio.

And you want us to give them more money?

You have to be insane.
I think you are a little misinformed as to which side of this debate I'm on.... Direct your last statement at artwomyn. As to the stats, I posted the first links I could find that were neatly organized and that cited their sources. If you have an issue with my sources, please post your own links so I can rebut.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It is accepting pay for nothing in return. You work, they pay you. But if you take a sick day or a vacation day, you don't work, and they pay you.

That's theft.
No, that's what unionization and/or government policy do. One or both of these entities (both Fed and State for governments) demand via Union contracts and/or government law that works "must" take breaks, lunch breaks and a few other things like this. Some demand vacation be taken and other contracts or policy demands that "unused" vacation and/or sick time accumulated must be paid.

Put the blame where it belongs. Then, whatever service or product is produced will have the cost of all this added to the price to the consumer.

Get it? No matter what is imposed upon business, it is the consumer that will pay the price.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:51 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
umm maybe when studio apartments don't cost over a thousand dollars for one freaking room.....

Old 11-30-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
umm maybe when studio apartments don't cost over a thousand dollars for one freaking room.....
Maybe when the States get their act together and stop with the continually raising property taxes to pay for their financial foolishness, that will help, eh?

Old 11-30-2010, 04:38 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
No, that's what unionization and/or government policy do. One or both of these entities (both Fed and State for governments) demand via Union contracts and/or government law that works "must" take breaks, lunch breaks and a few other things like this. Some demand vacation be taken and other contracts or policy demands that "unused" vacation and/or sick time accumulated must be paid.

Put the blame where it belongs. Then, whatever service or product is produced will have the cost of all this added to the price to the consumer.

Get it? No matter what is imposed upon business, it is the consumer that will pay the price.
Vacation days, ime, are accumulated via working. It's earned time. If I had an option to take an extra week of vacation in a year vs another 3k, or whatever, I'd take the time.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:53 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,236 times
I believe many of today's homeless are the mentally ill that was booted out of the psychiatric hospitals when they closed down in the 90s. This was planned to save the state millions of dollars not because Big Pharma's advancements in psychotic drugs.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:06 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
If a homeless* man took vacation time and got paid for it, because of a prior agreement with their employer, it's not theft.

For a theft to occur, the homeless man would need to be taking something unlawfully. Pre-arranged vacation time (or sick time for that matter) isn't theft.

Find me a link where someone was brought up on charges for taking paid vacation and then we'll talk.

*Staying on topic as requested
Just another sort of unpunished crime. What can I say?

Old 11-30-2010, 07:10 PM

17,355 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Just another sort of unpunished crime. What can I say?
Um, how about "sorry I said something that didn't make any sense"?

That would work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies