Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 04:20 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,907 times

Advertisements

So I was sitting around with some University of Maryland students, talking about various things. I brought up Barbara Bush's (rather amusing) comments about Sarah Palin, when the conversation went in the following direction.

Guy 1: The thing about conservatives is that they see everything in black in white, they see things in extremes, it's either good or bad.

Guy 2: Yeah

Me: Well, I find that there's too many people thinking like that in general, on both sides.

Guy 2: No, but Republicans moreso.

Guy 1: You can be a conservative if you just care about yourself, and not minimum wage, or social wellbeing etc.

Sooo... Am I the only one who finds irony in people praising themselves as open minded, while dogmatically taking one viewpoint and blanketly labeling everyone who disagrees as amoral and incapable of abstract thought? Maybe "irony" isn't the right choice of words, perhaps "baffling hypocrisy" is more suitable.

And these were smart guys, too. Maybe I'm not entirely up-to-date on the nuances of American English, but when did "open minded" become a synonym for "leftist"? Would a really open-minded person not engage people of diverse viewpoints in order to understand the sociocultural factors that influence them, instead of surrounding themselves with like-minded zealots and bemoaning the fact that people have the gall to disagree with you? I thought one of the benefits of universities was the ability to transcend tribalistic world views, not strengthen them.

I'm a fairly liberal guy and vote democrat, but good grief the liberals I know are starting to **** me off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 04:25 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
it is in fact extremists on both sides that are truly closed minded. even though i am conservative, i do tend to see things in shades of grey rather than just black and white. i do sometimes tend to make generalizations about some political points of view, though they are based on actual observation rather than conjecture.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:28 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Ask your liberal friends what they think of Obama allowing the pat downs at airports. They are agreeing with it. HUH??????

Obama program = good

Republican program-= bad

Old 11-24-2010, 04:29 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,741,327 times
I'm a liberal & there are times that other 'liberals' make me mad & there are times that they don't.

Not every conservative agrees 100% of the time with other conservatives on certain issues.

We are all just people & we all have our own take on things. I always try to listen & learn from others & it doesn't matter to me what their particular political party is.

I also believe that more & more 'what party' someone is will mean less & less.

Some will refuse to see any other view but their own & that of the party they belong too.
That is just sad.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:32 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
I used to be open minded but then I realized that I was always right

Old 11-24-2010, 04:34 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,741,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Ask your liberal friends what they think of Obama allowing the pat downs at airports. They are agreeing with it. HUH??????

Obama program = good

Republican program-= bad

janelle144 I am a liberal I am one gal who will NOT fly due to these ridiculous new pat down rules. Never Ever.
I also happen to be open minded enough to understand that this issue has nothing to do with 'parties' but effects ALL of us.
Stop with the labeling, both parties are the same anyway.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:42 PM

888 posts, read 1,186,748 times
LOL!!!

I graduated Univ. of Maryland in 1975

No one ever confused Maryland, with an Ivy League school, back then either!?

Steve

Old 11-24-2010, 04:44 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

Obama program = good

Republican program-= bad
Do you honestly believe that a Republican administration would stop them?

Maybe they would replace them with waterboarding. I'm sure that would weed out any bad guys.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:45 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post

janelle144 I am a liberal I am one gal who will NOT fly due to these ridiculous new pat down rules. Never Ever.
I also happen to be open minded enough to understand that this issue has nothing to do with 'parties' but effects ALL of us.
Stop with the labeling, both parties are the same anyway.
But you have to agree some people are that way---on both sides.

Probably most of us really. We need to get more independent.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:48 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
I'm a liberal & there are times that other 'liberals' make me mad & there are times that they don't.

Not every conservative agrees 100% of the time with other conservatives on certain issues.

We are all just people & we all have our own take on things. I always try to listen & learn from others & it doesn't matter to me what their particular political party is.

I also believe that more & more 'what party' someone is will mean less & less.

Some will refuse to see any other view but their own & that of the party they belong too.
That is just sad.
The point the OP was making was some people are two faced, say one thing and do another.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies