Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2010, 03:32 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
We should have TRADED with Cuba.

We should have TRADED with Viet Nam.

We should have TRADED with Korea.

We should have TRADED with the USSR.

We should have TRADED FAIRLY with China.

Some day America might figure out that borders not crossed in TRADE, are crossed with an Army.

I guess I'm just a TRADER to my country.

Can't help it - I was born with the Libertarian gene.
WHY would anyone trade and consort with countries that perform wholesale murder on their own citizens?

ALL of the countries you list have graveyards of millions of people whose only heinous crime was to simply to be chosen by the communist regime in power and be deemed 'undesirable' or 'unproductive' to the state society.

Oh, sorry, you answered that in the last sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 03:48 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Default Suppose they gave a war and nobody came?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You have a point that I will agree with. When I joined the Air Force in 1977, it was mostly for selfish reasons. I really had no direction in my life after high school and thought it would be cool to do and that it would help me go to college. So yes, I was in it for me. And it was peacetime so what the hell did I have to lose? Nothing. As I honestly say I got more out of the deal than anybody did and I never saw a single shot fired. When you are 18, there is no civilian job that will begin to match what the military will give you in terms of responsibility, pay and benefits. So on that we agree.
But being a vet and being a combat infantry vet that has given, given, given and continues to give more is an ENTIRELY different thing. They are special. Some of them have kids that are almost 2 years old at home that they have NEVER seen. Many of them are deployed for years and then they get a little home time and are deployed again for years in harsh and dangerous places. If anybody here wants to put on body and head gear and carry 50 pounds of supplies in 120 degree heat, please try it. You have to be special to do that kind of duty. Few people willingly sign up for that.
Sorry, still about choices.
They CHOOSE to join the military in a time of war; if they don't know what that means, then they're stupid. Do they really think it's a video game?
Again, it's a choice.
Lots of people willingly sign up for it; if they don't know what they're getting into, it's on them, not the rest of the world.
There is no draft.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:28 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Sorry, still about choices.
They CHOOSE to join the military in a time of war; if they don't know what that means, then they're stupid. Do they really think it's a video game?Again, it's a choice.
Lots of people willingly sign up for it; if they don't know what they're getting into, it's on them, not the rest of the world.
There is no draft.
I don't hear anyone in the military complaining about being there. Why does it matter to you that they choose to join for whatever reason.

And if they CHOOSE to join the military in time of war, and the DO know what that means - then what? Still worthy of criticism in your opinion?

KevK, thank you.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:16 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
"Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none." --Thomas Jefferson
Great. Someone who lived 200 years ago in a different time with different problems is quoted. Funny how, when you think someone affirms what you want, they are quote worthy. When they differ, you villify them.

A true example of a liberal.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
My selfishness is purely altruistic.
No, merely selfish.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Great. Someone who lived 200 years ago in a different time with different problems is quoted. Funny how, when you think someone affirms what you want, they are quote worthy. When they differ, you villify them.

A true example of a liberal.
Funny, the person he was discussing with referenced Madison. Did you miss that?

Old 11-26-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Funny, the person he was discussing with referenced Madison. Did you miss that?
Funny, I was directly responding to what he posted. Did you miss that?

Old 11-26-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Funny, I was directly responding to what he posted. Did you miss that?
You responded to only the one you didn't agree with.
The true example of a hypocrite.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:34 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clue View Post
How many of you actually say this to service members and why?

I for one think it is highly offensive and this is nothing more than empty platitudes.
When I served, Tricky Dick was my Commander-in-Chief, and it wasn't exactly my idea to serve, having "won" the only lottery I've ever won in my life, the draft lottery.

No, I've never said this to a member of the armed forces. Even though there's lots of military in the area, I rarely if ever see anyone in uniform. And for me to say it, it would have to be more than just a token gesture. I would have to know that the specific individual had served in a manner that warranted my thanks (and no, just wearing the uniform doesn't count with me). Otherwise, it would be one of those politically correct statements that have little meaning.

I see nothing inherently wrong with saying it, but for damned sure no one ever said it to me, and someone saying it to me now, 40 years later, would just be pathetic.

Have a nice day.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:35 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
WHY would anyone trade and consort with countries that perform wholesale murder on their own citizens?

ALL of the countries you list have graveyards of millions of people whose only heinous crime was to simply to be chosen by the communist regime in power and be deemed 'undesirable' or 'unproductive' to the state society.

Oh, sorry, you answered that in the last sentence.
Maytag would have destroyed Stalin.

Your ilk destroyed Maytag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies