Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2010, 01:30 PM

860 posts, read 2,204,729 times

Advertisements

Empty platitudes? Possibly. But highly offensive? Are you the easily offended kind? GMAFB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 01:40 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clue View Post
How many of you actually say this to service members and why?

I for one think it is highly offensive and this is nothing more than empty platitudes.
If the statement of gratitude is heartfelt and honest, then it is not an empty platitude. If it is not heartfelt and honest, then it is an empty platitude. Of course, the only one who would know either way is the person offering the platitude.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I see her point as it seems shallow, but it's better than getting spit on.

The day a battle or whole war is fought on US soil is nearing and that thankyou then may have somewhat more impact.

I don't know any better way to tell a stranger who you some how know has served or is serving. I suppose if you know someone who is serving you can pack up a big box of gifts they can use right now, candies, foods, soaps and water less cleaners etc, writting tools, paper, and assorted other things you can afford lots off and send them over seas.
Who was ever spit on?

BTW...I get tired of hearing it myself. It's one of the more trite phrases that gets tossed around nowadays. I think it comes out of the myth that Vietnam vets were poorly treated, and so now the nation gets to assuage its guilt by going overboard so as to make amends for the supposed actions of that era....actions that didn't happen BTW. Overwhelming majority of Vietnam vets came home to a good reception and did pretty well in life.

Only thing that annoys me worse than the "Thank you for you service" thing is the "i support the troops" magnets. Get outta here with that nonsense!

Old 11-26-2010, 03:45 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Who was ever spit on?

BTW...I get tired of hearing it myself. It's one of the more trite phrases that gets tossed around nowadays. I think it comes out of the myth that Vietnam vets were poorly treated, and so now the nation gets to assuage its guilt by going overboard so as to make amends for the supposed actions of that era....actions that didn't happen BTW. Overwhelming majority of Vietnam vets came home to a good reception and did pretty well in life.

Only thing that annoys me worse than the "Thank you for you service" thing is the "i support the troops" magnets. Get outta here with that nonsense!

I would agree with that definition. But my next door neighbor won't. No link, no name and he has no PC because he doesn't want to. He claims he was, and I know he was in Nam a good while. He heads up a lot of things for Nam vets. While his life is spent in a wheel hair, he could make nearly anyone pretty nervouse. He tends to be very grumpy most of the time

When I use the term spit this is pretty much what I mean though.

I tend to tawk long and so cut to the quick using words like spit, and then some bloomin Bleadin' Heart always has a problem. In this case you are not that Bleedin Heart.

The myth is no myth however. When Nam vets came home there was nothing, no party, no political victory, nuthin, not one piece of confetii anywhere.

They were made to feel they lost the war, where 58,044 of their brothers died for Democrate poly tic leeches.

.................................................. ...........
Clue, I am familar with Sun Tzu's Art of War. Your kind are doin' a bang up job with that so far, but there will be a day of reckoning, or any real Americans will all be dead.

This mess is caused by better than 4 decades of a democratic congress, one I have ignored almost that long.

You are free as a bird to let them make a slave of you, that's your choice and I would be the last to deny you that, but when it comes to me I will refuse the offer and have no desire to be anything other than Free.

There are not many left with any Liberty, but the few that are scare the pants off everyone else.

There is no doubt in my mind that before I can die of natural causes I will be deemed a criminal by the Govt. And for doing nothing more than living as a Free Man.

What is said on line is one thing, what happens in the real world just might be another, because you can't catch what you can't see.

I do understand exactly how these Muslims operate, and they won't see me on my own turf, and better than a hell of a lot of cops, fish and game, DA's or anyone else who hunted me. I don't even know why but I can dress in all white and still be invisable at night.

Over the years I have been in troubles for a lot of different things, and so far no one looking has ever caught me. Not even when I extended a invite for 3:30am, but maybe the fact it was -50 below had something to do with that, and no one but no one could drive with in 1 mile of where I was living in the woods in a tee pee.

Then for fun I do this sort of thing for kicks in the first place and am very good at it. History has lots of lessons and I have learned many.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:34 PM

199 posts, read 216,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Clue, I am familar with Sun Tzu's Art of War. Your kind are doin' a bang up job with that so far, but there will be a day of reckoning, or any real Americans will all be dead.

This mess is caused by better than 4 decades of a democratic congress, one I have ignored almost that long.

You are free as a bird to let them make a slave of you, that's your choice and I would be the last to deny you that, but when it comes to me I will refuse the offer and have no desire to be anything other than Free.

There are not many left with any Liberty, but the few that are scare the pants off everyone else.

There is no doubt in my mind that before I can die of natural causes I will be deemed a criminal by the Govt. And for doing nothing more than living as a Free Man.

What is said on line is one thing, what happens in the real world just might be another, because you can't catch what you can't see.

I do understand exactly how these Muslims operate, and they won't see me on my own turf, and better than a hell of a lot of cops, fish and game, DA's or anyone else who hunted me. I don't even know why but I can dress in all white and still be invisable at night.

Over the years I have been in troubles for a lot of different things, and so far no one looking has ever caught me. Not even when I extended a invite for 3:30am, but maybe the fact it was -50 below had something to do with that, and no one but no one could drive with in 1 mile of where I was living in the woods in a tee pee.

Then for fun I do this sort of thing for kicks in the first place and am very good at it. History has lots of lessons and I have learned many.
Firstly, I don't belong to a "kind", I am independent and I don't tow to any specific party, group, and posse lines. You go off on a tangent of irrelevant stuff a lot, most of it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Almost every forum has a guy like you, very predictable, the macho military type.

Centurion

Centurion tries to gain tactical advantage in battle by asserting that he is, or was at one time, in the military. He affects the brusque demeanor and clipped style of a drill sergeant, and intimidates opponents by sprinkling his messages with military verbiage and obscure acronyms. He reinforces weak arguments by constantly reminding other Warriors that he has “done his duty”, or “served his country”. Sometimes Centurion may even post pictures of military hardware or images of himself in fatigues brandishing a weapon. Centurion may actually have a military background, or he may just be a nut case - no one really knows.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:37 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
How many of you actually say this to service members and why?

I for one think it is highly offensive and this is nothing more than empty platitudes.
It has been many years since I served and I rarely wear a cap denoting my short fours years of military service but, having just come through Veterans Day and having recently purchased an Air Force cap for the occasion, I had it on as I shopped this past Monday. A Salvation Army employee saw the cap and asked me if I was a AF veteran. When I replied "yes", he said to me "Well thank you for your Service." My heart swelled with pride and tears almost came to my eyes as I studdered a "Thank you." In the past forty years I could not recall anyone saying that to me. It was neither offensive or empty words that I heard.

God bless the young men and women who unselfishly offer up a significant portion of their life in defense of our nation.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:07 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Firstly, I don't belong to a "kind", I am independent and I don't tow to any specific party, group, and posse lines. You go off on a tangent of irrelevant stuff a lot, most of it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Almost every forum has a guy like you, very predictable, the macho military type.

Centurion

Centurion tries to gain tactical advantage in battle by asserting that he is, or was at one time, in the military. He affects the brusque demeanor and clipped style of a drill sergeant, and intimidates opponents by sprinkling his messages with military verbiage and obscure acronyms. He reinforces weak arguments by constantly reminding other Warriors that he has “done his duty”, or “served his country”. Sometimes Centurion may even post pictures of military hardware or images of himself in fatigues brandishing a weapon. Centurion may actually have a military background, or he may just be a nut case - no one really knows.

ROTFLMAO Clue, dearest Bleedin Heart Whinin' Liberal, if you needed any assistance, all you had to do was ask

My most recent captured sprit, just Nov 1st. LOL

Old 11-26-2010, 05:28 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
Offense is in the eye of the beholder and doesn't mean it is intended by the other.

I frequently thank people that perform a service for me. Yesterday morning when I discovered I was out of lettuce to make the salad I'd promised to bring to our Thanksgiving Dinner, I thanked the checker at our grocery store for being there.

I always thank the baggers for their help when they bag my groceries.

When I went in for my flu shot, I thanked the receptionist for taking the time to verify my record information on file. She found two out-dated phone numbers for my emergency contacts. Later, I thanked the nurse for the gentle way she performed the injection.

Thanking people with sincere appreciation is part of being a member of one's community. Service providers are people and like to feel appreciated like anyone else.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:44 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Who was ever spit on?

Really?? I guess when my Father was spit at and called a "baby killer", I just imagined the whole thing over and over??

Still trying to recall all those parades and reception that magically occured - guess the 1st Cav just were left off the guest lists.

Yeah, that's it.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:18 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
Really?? I guess when my Father was spit at and called a "baby killer", I just imagined the whole thing over and over??
Sincere people end up getting convinced that a lot of non-events actually happened.

Eugene Register-Guard - Google News Archive Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies