Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 11:40 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
And military personnel do make us safer? I'd say the opposite is true. They are merely the tools of the industrial-corporate complex.
Talking about a myth built up over the years...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 11:43 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
Really?? I guess when my Father was spit at and called a "baby killer", I just imagined the whole thing over and over??

Still trying to recall all those parades and reception that magically occured - guess the 1st Cav just were left off the guest lists.

Yeah, that's it.
Parades? Parades generally happen after victories!! In case you forgot, we didn't win the Vietnam War. At what point were we supposed to hold a parade? After being chased out of our own embassy in Saigon in helicopters? After dumping those helicopters off of aircraft carriers after the evacuation? After leaving millions of Vietnamese citizens to deal with the vestiges of years of war and a new communist government that would persecute those left behind who helped us?

Parades? You kidding? We lost 58 thousand troops for lord knows what. What were we exactly supposed to celebrate?

Old 11-26-2010, 11:58 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Oh really?

Look, i don't doubt that ONE vet may have had this happen to him, but i don't buy it that this happened more than that. Strangely enough, there isn't a single blotter report of any incidents happening at a single west coast airport during the Vietnam War. If so many thousands of vets experienced this, i'd have to believe that at least ONE VETERAN retaliated by fighting back or at least objecting loudly enough that it would have caused a scene boisterous enough to warrant either an arrest or at least a police report. THIS SIMPLY DOESN'T EXIST!!!

The story is always the same...female spitters, and west coast airports. There are lots of myths that came out of the Vietnam war that simply don't hold up. The airport spitting incident is one of them.
I could care less if you believe it happened or not.It happened to me.In my personal case,I do not hit women. Also at that time I sure as hell did not want that kind of trouble. I just wanted to get home.I know and have talked to a lot of vets. many of them had no incidents at all.some did.Another vet I know was waiting for a flight home with some others in a bar.some long hairs he said started some of this baby killer crap with them and they beat the living SH*T out of em.A marine friend of mine on his incoming flight had to be taxied out to the end of the runway because the airport terminal was surrounded by protesters.They did not want any trouble,so they unloaded at the end of the runway into buses.My friend said at first some of them thought it was a welcome them home crowd.Far from it.
I have been called a liar many times on the net when I relate these incidents.I am here to tell you it happened. You want to deny it,fine. But it happened.I was bitter about it for many years. Mostly for those who served over there in some situations that humans should not be made to suffer.I was lucky enough to have not been through some of the horrendous trauma suffered by some.No ones country men should subject them to such humiliation when they return home. that.99% of the men who served in Vietnam did so with as much honor as they possibly could.I say it. I lived it.

When I am thanked for my service,I think of those who did not come home.It reminds me of their total sacrifice.and yes..... I appreciate it

Old 11-27-2010, 12:43 AM

199 posts, read 216,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
And military personnel do make us safer? I'd say the opposite is true. They are merely the tools of the industrial-corporate complex.
Very correct. Perpetual state of war and power requires force, and that force is the military. War and violence is a business, it's a racket. The end goal of military use is often money, resource, and/or geopolitics.

A bullet fired, a rocket launched, a vehicle destroyed, a soldier injured or killed. These are all revenue generating actions, where the industrial complex profit off the back of taxpayers. A Hellfire rocket from an Apache helicopter or a drone, that cost $70,000 each, that's a $70,000 profit for Lockheed Martin, that's a $70,000 loss for taxpayers. A soldier injured, psychologically or physically, the medical industry and its auxiliary industries like pharma and insurance profit out of government tax dollars.

That's just domestic. On an international scale, a country opened up by military forces are used for profit gains, like when BP and CNOOC gain the best oil fields in Iraq during 2009's bidding frenzy, or how China's state-owned mining company got one of the largest copper deposit in Afghanistan, defended by US forces at the same time. Recently, NATO got a green light to prop up a missile shield when there's no real credible threat anymore, and extended its tours in Afghanistan past 2014, it was delightful for Pentagon. It's all about money. It's not about defending freedom, bringing democracy, or protecting human rights, it's about money. The usage of the military is mainly to defend, protect, and gain money.

"Defending freedom", "providing security", those are things to sell to the public to make military use acceptable. A lot of things US government have done, the American wouldn't accepted it if it was done by other countries to themselves. Ask yourself, would you allow a foreign military to police you by gunpoint? Would you allow a foreign government to run your country? Would you allow a foreign military base to set up on your land? Would you allow another country to decide how you should live? If not, in what way do you think it's acceptable for you to do the same action to others? It's quite hypocritical, no?

The glorification of the military including this "thank you for your service" is a self-censorship exercise to silence the criticism of military use, the objective is to equate criticizing the use of the military = criticizing the military. This characteristic is the hallmark of a fascist militaristic state, which America is already there, as evidence by this thread, most are oblivious or got a complete revisionist toned down version of their own history, and most blindly support the military at all cost.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:29 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I could care less if you believe it happened or not.It happened to me.In my personal case,I do not hit women. Also at that time I sure as hell did not want that kind of trouble. I just wanted to get home.I know and have talked to a lot of vets. many of them had no incidents at all.some did.Another vet I know was waiting for a flight home with some others in a bar.some long hairs he said started some of this baby killer crap with them and they beat the living SH*T out of em.A marine friend of mine on his incoming flight had to be taxied out to the end of the runway because the airport terminal was surrounded by protesters.They did not want any trouble,so they unloaded at the end of the runway into buses.My friend said at first some of them thought it was a welcome them home crowd.Far from it.
I have been called a liar many times on the net when I relate these incidents.I am here to tell you it happened. You want to deny it,fine. But it happened.I was bitter about it for many years. Mostly for those who served over there in some situations that humans should not be made to suffer.I was lucky enough to have not been through some of the horrendous trauma suffered by some.No ones country men should subject them to such humiliation when they return home. that.99% of the men who served in Vietnam did so with as much honor as they possibly could.I say it. I lived it.

When I am thanked for my service,I think of those who did not come home.It reminds me of their total sacrifice.and yes..... I appreciate it
Whatever. I certainly don't make it a habit of hitting women, but if you spit on me, i'm gonna beat the hell out of you regardless.

Again, i'm not going to get angry if someone thanks me for my service, but i do find it a bit annoying after a while.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:39 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Arjay, I got into this same argument once before and found that the internet is replete with articles trying to discredit the spitting reports. It would seem that the hippies and children of the hippies are now ashamed and are trying now to rewrite history.

I recall how I was dealt with whenever I had to wear my uniform in public during the 1960/70s. It wasn't the U.S. policies these airheads hated. It was me.
A sincere, heartfelt "thank you" for your service!

The liberal disease is a cancer that is still spreading. We can't eliminate it, just try to contain it. I'm firmly convinced it wasn't the vet they hated, it was what the vet represented. Their own party created the quagmire that the war became, and the thousands who died will forever be on the Dem's shoulders. Liberals don't seem to learn. I'm grateful to every military member, past or present, and to their families that support them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yeah, yeah, funny, your revisionist history is different from what anyone can document.
Do you realize how many "hippies" were vets themselves. Including me.
Doesn't count. You CHOSE to be in the military, remember?

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
It has been many years since I served and I rarely wear a cap denoting my short fours years of military service but, having just come through Veterans Day and having recently purchased an Air Force cap for the occasion, I had it on as I shopped this past Monday. A Salvation Army employee saw the cap and asked me if I was a AF veteran. When I replied "yes", he said to me "Well thank you for your Service." My heart swelled with pride and tears almost came to my eyes as I studdered a "Thank you." In the past forty years I could not recall anyone saying that to me. It was neither offensive or empty words that I heard.

God bless the young men and women who unselfishly offer up a significant portion of their life in defense of our nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Offense is in the eye of the beholder and doesn't mean it is intended by the other.

I frequently thank people that perform a service for me. Yesterday morning when I discovered I was out of lettuce to make the salad I'd promised to bring to our Thanksgiving Dinner, I thanked the checker at our grocery store for being there.

I always thank the baggers for their help when they bag my groceries.

When I went in for my flu shot, I thanked the receptionist for taking the time to verify my record information on file. She found two out-dated phone numbers for my emergency contacts. Later, I thanked the nurse for the gentle way she performed the injection.

Thanking people with sincere appreciation is part of being a member of one's community. Service providers are people and like to feel appreciated like anyone else.
You create a little bit of Mayberry with such acts of kindness. We have forgotten how to appreciate the little things, and forgotten that everyone has their struggles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Sincere people end up getting convinced that a lot of non-events actually happened.

Eugene Register-Guard - Google News Archive Search
And then there are those who try to convince sincere people that the events never actually happened. As long as there are people who personally experienced it, it's not that easy to pull the wool over their eyes.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:01 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Oh really?

Look, i don't doubt that ONE vet may have had this happen to him, but i don't buy it that this happened more than that. Strangely enough, there isn't a single blotter report of any incidents happening at a single west coast airport during the Vietnam War. If so many thousands of vets experienced this, i'd have to believe that at least ONE VETERAN retaliated by fighting back or at least objecting loudly enough that it would have caused a scene boisterous enough to warrant either an arrest or at least a police report. THIS SIMPLY DOESN'T EXIST!!!

The story is always the same...female spitters, and west coast airports. There are lots of myths that came out of the Vietnam war that simply don't hold up. The airport spitting incident is one of them.
What you believe is irrelevant as regarding the truth. I do not speak for any other returning vet but myself. Before we deplaned we were given direct orders to avoid confrontation with any protesters. Being in the military one does not disregard direct orders, especially when all you want to do is get home.

So you, at least to me, what you believe doesn't mean spit.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Ah, yes, all political.
You only gave a partial picture.
Enough, your post was dishonest, off to the twit filter.
With you judging the honesty of posts, everyone who disagrees with you must be dishonest. I gave no picture at all. That was you drawing it with your own crayons.

Nice of you to go home though. Have fun in twit land, as most natives seem to (liberals).

Old 11-27-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
You do a lotta spittin' in the wind, do ya, Arjay?
Only person that I have seen recently who deserves to be spit on would be the author of the referenced quote. Duck.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, funny, your revisionist history is different from what anyone can document.
Do you realize how many "hippies" were vets themselves. Including me.
Does anyone realize that on the internet you can document any position you want? Just keep searching until you find that some other idiot has posted something that you claim to be truth and trumpet that as the only possible truth, disregarding any other statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies