Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 09:06 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,910,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
I hear you. Well, there's no easy answer is there? If there was we would have found it by now. Some people blame the high crime rate in this country on the fact that it's such a competitive society. While it's true that competition breeds winners it's also a fact that there will be lots of losers. What are we supposed to do with those that fail to thrive in our system and society? It's a tough call. The system does what it can. Nothing in this world is perfect.
I agree here too. And I think that competition brings out our brilliance as humans, and there's a downside to everything. I also think that the pros of competition outweigh the negatives. I think what most of criminals need, is better parenting. Like I said in my previous post, I grew up poor on an island in the Caribbean, yet I've never stepped into a prison or jail. I like to think that my otherwise good upbringing was a huge factor in that. I think that's something that the black community especially, needs.

A lot of blacks (and Hispanic-Americans for that matter) have this mentality that you want to be smart or have manners, etc. because that's "acting white" and that means you're selling your soul to the White Man. I think that's very faulty thinking and that's a big contributor to the cycle of poverty that black Americans and Hispanic-Americans find themselves in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 09:07 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,481,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Who are the victims of drug use other than the users? I'm not talking about crackheads here, I'm talking about weed smokers. Who are the victims? There's no more victims of weed than there are of cigarettes.
I won't disagree with you on this. I do think that personal drug use should not be an albatross around someone's neck for the rest of their lives. However crimes like assault, robbery, etc. Some things are of such a nature that it would be irresponsible to not inform people about potential threats to safety and well-being.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:13 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,739,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Read this:
Racial Shift In Drug-Crime Prisoners: More Whites And Fewer Blacks

What does that tell you?

What's your excuse for the black on black murder rate?

Let's look at those numbers in that article you posted for a second.

The D.C.-based Sentencing Project reported that the number of black inmates in state prisons for drug offenses had fallen from 145,000 in 1999 to 113,500 in 2005, a 22 percent decline. In that period, the number of white drug offenders rose steadily, from about 50,000 to more than 72,000, a 43 percent increase.

113,500/40 million = .28%

72,000/248 million = .03%

28/3 = 9.3

Translation: according to your article, blacks are 9.3 times more likely to be arrested for the same drug offences as white people despite that there's 208 million more whites than blacks in the USA. Thanks for the source

I don't have an excuse for the black on black murder rate. It directly affects me. My question is why does it bother you? Last time I checked, you aren't black. If I were you I'd be more interested in learning what the white on white rate or the rate for whatever race you are is. black on white is lower than the white on white so apparently you should be looking over your shoulder in your own neighborhood a little more. Or is your neighborhood not plagued by a lack of jobs and ex-cons who overwhelmingly went to jail for drug use who now can't get jobs? Mine isn't either.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:28 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I agree here too. And I think that competition brings out our brilliance as humans, and there's a downside to everything. I also think that the pros of competition outweigh the negatives. I think what most of criminals need, is better parenting. Like I said in my previous post, I grew up poor on an island in the Caribbean, yet I've never stepped into a prison or jail. I like to think that my otherwise good upbringing was a huge factor in that. I think that's something that the black community especially, needs.

A lot of blacks (and Hispanic-Americans for that matter) have this mentality that you want to be smart or have manners, etc. because that's "acting white" and that means you're selling your soul to the White Man. I think that's very faulty thinking and that's a big contributor to the cycle of poverty that black Americans and Hispanic-Americans find themselves in
I half agree with you about the good parenting thing. A lot of people that will get into trouble with the law have little to no good adult supervision. It's a shame really.

However, I am firmly on the nature side of the "nurture vs. nature" debate. I am very familiar with the kind of circumstances that you grew up in. I grew up in tough neighborhoods well below the poverty line. My parents were hippies and their biggest concern was where their next bag of weed was coming from. My siblings and I were totally neglected. By all accounts we should have ended up in prison, but we all became productive members of society instead.

Extreme adversity makes a lot of people give in and give up, but what about those who don't? There must be something inside (nature) of them that enables them to overcome all obstacles. Me, I joined the Army and got College money the hard way.

Maybe we should start a new thread to debate this very idea. We are a bit off topic -don't want to incur the wrath of the City Data Gods!

Last edited by Zekester; 11-25-2010 at 09:38 PM..

Old 11-25-2010, 09:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
I won't disagree with you on this. I do think that personal drug use should not be an albatross around someone's neck for the rest of their lives. However crimes like assault, robbery, etc. Some things are of such a nature that it would be irresponsible to not inform people about potential threats to safety and well-being.
Until it's made legal..it is what it is.

What does someone see when they do a background check on a potential employee ? Do they see the details of the charges ?
I honestly don't know.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:41 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,660,769 times
Default if the person

was convicted by a finding of guilt by jury or a guilty plea, the background check will usually show what happened in court (ie guilty plea or found guilty of offense X) along with the punishment received (fine, jail, conditional discharge,probation)

Old 11-25-2010, 10:06 PM

88,930 posts, read 44,757,135 times
Quote:
Let's look at those numbers in that article you posted for a second.

...according to your article, blacks are 9.3 times more likely to be arrested for the same drug offences as white people despite that there's 208 million more whites than blacks in the USA.
Well, let's see what's going on... According to the treatment rate for drug abuse, blacks, while 12.4% of the population, were 21.3% of those admitted to drug treatment programs. White people, at 65% of the population, were 59.4% of the admitted. So part of the problem is that blacks are nearly twice as likely to require drug abuse treatment while white people are actually underrepresented in drug abuse treatment programs.
Treatment Statistics - InfoFacts - NIDA

Quote:
I don't have an excuse for the black on black murder rate. It directly affects me. My question is why does it bother you? Last time I checked, you aren't black.
Young people murdering other young people shouldn't bother me because they're black? That's cold-blooded and racist!

Quote:
If I were you I'd be more interested in learning what the white on white rate or the rate for whatever race you are is. black on white is lower than the white on white so apparently you should be looking over your shoulder in your own neighborhood a little more. Or is your neighborhood not plagued by a lack of jobs and ex-cons who overwhelmingly went to jail for drug use who now can't get jobs? Mine isn't either.
You're flippant response does nothing to help solve the black on black murder problem. I'll repeat the statistic: "According to federal crime figures, homicide is the leading cause of death among African-American males aged 15 to 34. They also indicate that between 1976 and 2004, 94 percent of black murder victims were killed by black offenders."

How sad... scream racism, and do nothing to address the problem of young black men killing each other.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:00 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,739,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Well, let's see what's going on... According to the treatment rate for drug abuse, blacks, while 12.4% of the population, were 21.3% of those admitted to drug treatment programs. White people, at 65% of the population, were 59.4% of the admitted. So part of the problem is that blacks are nearly twice as likely to require drug abuse treatment while white people are actually underrepresented in drug abuse treatment programs.
Treatment Statistics - InfoFacts - NIDA

Young people murdering other young people shouldn't bother me because they're black? That's cold-blooded and racist!

You're flippant response does nothing to help solve the black on black murder problem. I'll repeat the statistic: "According to federal crime figures, homicide is the leading cause of death among African-American males aged 15 to 34. They also indicate that between 1976 and 2004, 94 percent of black murder victims were killed by black offenders."

How sad... scream racism, and do nothing to address the problem of young black men killing each other.

Do you even make sense to yourself? If whites make up 59.4% of those admitted for drug treatment, why are only 72,000 of them behind bars for BREAKING THE LAW? Using that source's data again, there are about 236,000 drug offenders in state prisons. 72,000/236,000 = 30%, ie only 30% of all state drug offenders are white despite that there's over 180 million more whites than all minorities combined. Despite this, 60% of all people receiving drug treatment are white. So apparently, whites are twice as likely to receive treatment for committing a federal crime than going to jail for it. Quite the meaningless stat you brought up. And this is without looking at FEDERAL prisons... the vast majority of those in federal prisons are drug offenders and again most of the drug offenders are black.

There are a whole lot of reasons why the black on black murder rate is high. From your responses, you're not looking for an answer, which begs the question: Why the hell do you care? Genocide is happening all across the world. Do you pretend to care about that? For that matter, what are you doing to address the problem of young black men in America killing each other if you care so much? Oh that's right... nothing.

And again, why do you continue to bring this stat up again in this argument? It's already been stated that murderers are not going to be expunged. What point are you trying to make? That whites should be arrested 9.3 times less for committing the same crimes as black people because they're white? And you and Zekester say the playing field is equal?! I want a piece of whatever yall are smoking. Yall must be smoking the special weed that magically disappears when the cops come around. Or maybe the cops just don't come around where you live and randomly search you and your car on "a hunch".

Old 11-25-2010, 11:04 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,582,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
Isn't it racist to only suggest that blacks have their criminal records expunged?
This should be done for ALL Americans not just blacks.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:11 PM

88,930 posts, read 44,757,135 times
Quote:
Do you even make sense to yourself? If whites make up 59.4% of those admitted for drug treatment, why are only 72,000 of them behind bars for BREAKING THE LAW? Using that source's data again, there are about 236,000 drug offenders in state prisons. 72,000/236,000 = 30%, ie only 30% of all state drug offenders are white despite that there's over 180 million more whites than all minorities combined. Despite this, 60% of all people receiving drug treatment are white. So apparently, whites are twice as likely to receive treatment for committing a federal crime than going to jail for it.
You can't conclude that at all. It's not either drug treatment or a jail sentence. The problem is blacks are abusing drugs at a disproportionately high rate.

Quote:
There are a whole lot of reasons why the black on black murder rate is high. From your responses, you're not looking for an answer, which begs the question: Why the hell do you care? Genocide is happening all across the world. Do you pretend to care about that? For that matter, what are you doing to address the problem of young black men in America killing each other if you care so much? Oh that's right... nothing.
Well, look at how you react to things. The minute someone other than a black person would even try to address it, you'd scream racism. That seems to be all you're capable of doing.

Quote:
And again, why do you continue to bring this stat up again in this argument?
Because, like the need for drug abuse treatment, it's another problem in which blacks are overrepresented. AND it's costing unnecessary lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies