Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is golf the ultimate symbol of an "elitist"?
Yes = It guarantees that they don't have to see a poor person for hours 8 22.86%
No, it is a sport that many people in poor inner cities practice 27 77.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 02:53 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
That version looks more family friendly than this...
Alligator in pond bites off part of golfer's arm in South Carolina - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 12:40 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I constantly hear conservatives throwing around the word "elitist" to talk about liberals.

Simple question....
Is golf the ultimate symbol of an "elitist"?

No. I played golf as a kid and we were dirt poor. We found used clubs for next to nothing, scavenged for balls, and played on municipal golf courses from our own funds at kid's summer discount season passes. I don't think I paid more than $50 any given summer for golf as a kid.

Now I fly my kids all over the US for tournaments. Why? Becuase they are fun. My senior has turned down several D-1 offers, as he appreciates that golf is intended to be fun, not work. Golf has taught him, as well as my younger boy, many valuable life lessons. Granted, many of those lessons can be learned in other sports, but this is our chosen venue.

Golf, in my opinion, is the "king of sports", as it teaches honesty, respect, self control, and concentration. I enjoy nearly all sports, but for me golf is the total package. It is great exercise for us geezers as well, who would lack other venues for appropriate exercise (we always walk).

Old 11-28-2010, 04:15 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,589,536 times
I am a conservative and I grew up with my entire family playing golf. I can hold my own, but it is not my thing. I have been riding horses forever and still do.

My husband grew up the same and is now a member of a golf club and still loves to play. I don't think it is an elitist sport at all. Actually, my husband conducts a lot of business deals on the golf course.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Anymore than fotball is the sport of the violent in society really.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:36 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Anyone can play golf and you don't need $150 shoes to do it!

Both my girls play, are very good, both members of the IJGA and the oldest will likely go to state next year.

There are TONS of college scholarship opportunities for girls, which is where I hope they are headed.

Equipment can be expensive, although in high school, they can borrow clubs if they need to. So yeah, anyone can play, anyone can learn.

I told their coach about purchasing new clubs for the oldest, gave him my upper range - he then asked if that was just for a set of irons.

Quote:
I don't think I paid more than $50 any given summer for golf as a kid.
That's right. One of our local courses has a program for kids 10-16, every Thursday for $5 a day. Another course has a 3-hole course that is free to kids on weekends.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:44 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Well, I suppose if you drive up to your private country club (annual membership $60,000), in your $450,000 Maybach vehicle, unload your $10,000 custom made golf clubs and pay $250 for a round of golf, it would certainly be considered elitist.

However, if you zip on over to the public golf course in your Aveo, with your $45 golf clubs (courtesy of Goodwill), and shoot a quick round of golf for $35, then I would say...um...no.

It's not in the WHAT, baby....
It's in the HOW.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-28-2010, 05:47 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Ridiculous choices on the poll. Unable to vote. In a word, no, golf is not the ultimate sign of an elitist. Perhaps the OP is not familiar with the history of modern golf starting with sheperds tending flocks out in pastures and finding a way to amuse themselves developed the beginnings of what we know recognize as golf.

Passing laws for me and exempting thee on the other hand is the sign of a government that believes itself above the people and not by the people. That is the elitism to which Conservatives reference, IMO. The OP's opinion no doubt varies as the poll questions would reflect.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:15 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
I love golf. I'm a scratch golfer. And you all know how I am. Let's just say I ain't a conservative.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:29 PM

448 posts, read 534,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I constantly hear conservatives throwing around the word "elitist" to talk about liberals.

Simple question....
Is golf the ultimate symbol of an "elitist"?
It's not a sport for the rich! I always see homeless inner city folk playing the back nine...

Old 11-29-2010, 08:32 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,535 times
I love to golf and I'm anything but a member of "the elite". One nice thing about living in NE Ohio plenty of affordable golf courses for rif raff like myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies