Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 03:23 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
There was a time when the office of the President of the U.S. was respected by Americans, even though folks disagreed with his policies. Then came the 60's, in particular, Vietnam; and suddenly, every college student in America became an 'expert' and the President became 'stupid.' Then there was 'Watergate' and later 'Clintongate' ... and some would now argue 'Bushgate/Obamagate'. But, the bottom line is that we lost respect for our elected leaders, "and every man has become his own 'President'".

The odd thing about hateful partisan rhetoric is that 'working together as Americans to find solutions' has morphed into a 'point-the-finger blame game.' In that scenario, everyone (including congress and the senate) have found it much easier to become self-appointed, 10-second experts in 'pointing- out the 'obvious' faults of others', .... instead of becoming part of the solution as 'problem solvers' and 'leaders' ... or, at least, supporters of our elected leaders.
The OP's question deals with Government corruption or Government incompetence.

The Government through all the presidents you list was corrupt.

Incompetence is used, and perceived, as a shield for the corruption, and for the excusing of the corruption.

The Bush presidency (Cheney) was so god-awful corrupt that only president Bush's natural stupidity could hide it. This is why I think Sarah Palin will be our next president - Few will be able to see through her natural stupidity, the corruption that will be unleashed. It will all be perceived as incompetence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Government has it's own agenda & is riled with corruption & they know exactly what they are doing.
"Riddled" or "rife" - will keep me from getting riled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 03:25 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I see so many posts on this forum that claim there's so much incompetence in the government. So, I wanna know, does everyone still think it's incompetence, or what we perceive as incompetence, is done on purpose? Like securing the border for example or economic policy. Somehow I think blaming everything on incompetence seems too convenient, and oddly frequent. Anyone else noticed this? I hardly think the government is "incompetent", more like corrupt
People also often cry, "Incompetence" merely for not getting their way.

In the case of the government, it's more like INEFFICIENT, WASTEFUL, and, yes, corrupt.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:56 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,776 times
Well, some people prefer to err on the side of being charitable and say incompetence rather than malice.

I've seen enough to go straight to Malice, self-serving and outright corruption. The politicians are mostly all no good vermin even at the local level, and have to be coerced by the public and the scandals into being somewhat useful for governance.

But that's close to what the Founding fathers had discovered back in the days - all government is at best an annoying public nuisance and even with the best material has to be watched and kicked sense into verbally and in extreme cases physically.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:11 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,286 times
Quote:
I see so many posts on this forum that claim there's so much incompetence in the government. So, I wanna know, does everyone still think it's incompetence, or what we perceive as incompetence, is done on purpose? Like securing the border for example or economic policy. Somehow I think blaming everything on incompetence seems too convenient, and oddly frequent. Anyone else noticed this? I hardly think the government is "incompetent", more like corrupt

Incompetence is a passive explanation for the state of our governance these days.
We are victims of a more sinister condition, the planned obsolescence
of what we once knew as the "American way". I wish that it was all as simple as blaming this mess on stupidity, the endless perception that our politicians are
bungling things rather than directing things, orchestrating every beat and measure of our downfall as if it were a grand symphony, a pathetic opera giving a full
spectrum of analysis of our rise and our fall as a nation. To write off their machinations to mere incompetence is to let them off of the hook and to base that very
assumption upon the statistical chance of teaching a monkey to text, it just doesn't happen by chance. How can our luck be that bad that we've brought in to office,
another body of fools in a continuing succession of losers, to rule over our land and our laws?

This world has been shaped and guided into the state by which we know it, it is not only an example of some Darwinistic theory, that only the strong will survive,
there have been planners who've been guiding our destiny, moving the pawns and rooks into position across a global chess board, playing a game with us. To assume
that there is no "puppet master" out there, no grand direction from a body of "illuminated" people who seek to tailor our world to their concept of what is right for us as
human beings, is a foolish assumption. We are hardly more than unworthy, usurping those begrudged resources that may still be found among a population that
they have slated and marked for certain extinction. We've outlived our very burdensome usefulness.

There is a great need for understanding among the people. As a nation, we have been sorely divided, left against right, black against white, so day and night we seem to
continue to fight to understand what lies ahead. Of all of the terms of government that I cannot personally understand is the "United" part of America. In what way are we
really united? We are more aligned with division than unity, foreigners come to our country and now we deal with multi-lingual signage along the Broadways of our cities,
we need to dial 1 in order to get our communication in the English language version. You can't possibly write this off to simple incompetence, it's too convenient, too handy
a label and an excuse for the behavior of the government. Rather than come out here and "fish" for information, take advantage of one of the last vestiges of the American
Constitution, the clause which gives us the right to freedom of thought. For the mind-benders, this is their final frontier, the quest to obliterate our free thoughts and the very
valid criticisms that we have of the way that they are running things now.

Just as certainly as you might want to get a second opinion if the doctor tells you that you have a terminal disease,
you owe it to yourself to get a second opinion of where
your government is leading you. Many of us continue to believe in the old "you are in good hands"theory, the Allstate reassurance that lulls us into that highly vulnerable state
of unequivocally trusting government. I can only hope that there are still among us, a class of people who will not blindly and placidly accept the deal that we are getting from
our leaders and I'll continue to encourage those who are open to enlightenment, to search out the truth. Remember, all that glitters is not gold...

Old 11-27-2010, 04:36 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
All of you have posted things I pretty much agree with. Ever since 9/11, I've come to realize that too many people seem to blame things on incompetence and I've always found it odd, that so many "inept" people run the government. It's like everything nowadays the government does is just incompetent. No one ever really gives the thought that maybe we're just as corrupt as our southern neighbor? I think the reason is, we have a different kind of corruption.

We don't have the pay off the cops, judges, and politicians kinda corruption that Mexico horribly suffers from. Ours is almost invisible and so many people in the U.S. think that "We're America! Not Mexico! We can't possibly have a crooked government!" If you look at things like the index that Transparency International uses, it marks the U.S. as one of the least corrupt nations on the planet. Nothing could be further from the truth in my belief. We should be colored orange like Mexico is

Transparency International - the global coalition against corruption

But then again, We have a "clean" index because we don't have corruption, just gross incompetence

Old 11-27-2010, 04:52 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
It is totally incompetent in controlling spending, fiscal management, providing services to the people and giving taxpayers a reasonable return on the money it confiscates.

As for confiscating money and grabbing power to dictate every move each citizen makes, it is incredibly efficient and masterful. Then again, these are the things the huge army of government officials and bureaucrats focus on everyday.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:19 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,505 times
Quote:
good observation!!! I say corrupt also

Old 11-27-2010, 08:40 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
I've never thought government is, or ever was, incompetent. They typically always seem to be one step in cunning above the public that elects them. Anyone who could keep the story of aliens crashing near Roswell, New Mexico under wraps for 63 years could not be dumb. To a smaller extent, even the Roswell government is smart enough to successfully use the public's insanity over this story for local economic development.

And don't get me started on the "grassy knoll", the Twin Towers or the Pentagon on 9-11, or one that I am intimately familiar with, "black helicopters spraying nerve gas."

Old 11-27-2010, 09:10 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
The government is competent at not doing what it says, not acting in the best interest of the people that elected its administrators and, yes, it's all done on purpose. It keeps us fighting for a better one and distracts us from the obvious. As long as we continue to think it's worthwhile to have this government, it will continue the charade that it's incompetent and that with our continued support, it will do better. Unfortunately, it has also made itself so powerful that we won't be able to get rid of it without bloodshed. While we were sleeping, they grabbed all the cards...except one. As much as they have tried, they can not rid the people of their ability to create. Let's hope what we create to replace it is something entirely brilliant and unexpected.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:19 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
That's what I thought when Bush was president. And I'm thinking the same thing about Palin as well. I think these are all staged so people are too busy arguing about who's dumber, and the gaffes they made, rather than looking behind the curtain
The entire Tea party is a diversionary tactic. It's red meat thrown to disillusioned Wizard of Oz worshipers. Go beat up the gas attendant. No no, the dog catcher.
Uncanny that the suicide rate for middle aged increased so significantly? The cult dogma caught up to them? The brainwashing machine skipped a beat & reality flashed before their eyes? On the other side of anger directed inward is rage directed blindly at the world for a guilt they can't face. Think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies