Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:15 PM

24 posts, read 34,266 times

Advertisements

if we put 15 billion into bringing down the prices of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, beans, grains, and any other basically healthy food... not only would we wipe out hunger in the United States, but if combined with an attempt to educate the public we could save this country hundreds of billions of dollars in nutrition related healthcare costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 09:16 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,313,154 times
Eat pulse.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:18 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,206 times
Wow, here I thought I'd read something substantive.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:20 PM

high school health classes should, at the very least, be teaching about acid/alkaline balance in the body, insulin resistance and how it is directly effected by weight lifting type of exercises (pushups, pullups, situps, squats), and they should also teach about how apples are an appetite suppresent (cuz who ever heard of someone getting fat on apples?)

Old 11-27-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Wow, here I thought I'd read something substantive.
what are you saying exactly?

Old 11-27-2010, 09:57 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,432 times
I don't disagree with that. I have read that our healthcare costs could be brought down if people would change their eating habits. I read an e-mail from an ER physician on a forum about the people and health related issues he sees in the ER. He was responding to the health care bill and how people would be able to afford health insurance if they changed their spending habits. He was speaking specifically about treating a young woman on Medicaid who was dressed in the latest fashion, expensive shoes, top level I-Phone with the blingy cover and up to date ring tone who was there because she ate fast food at least ten times a week, and if she got her priorities right, she would not only have money for health insurance, but her health would be better too.

I saw on the news today that by 2020, 50% of Americans will have diabetes or related health issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafenstein View Post
if we put 15 billion into bringing down the prices of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, beans, grains, and any other basically healthy food... not only would we wipe out hunger in the United States, but if combined with an attempt to educate the public we could save this country hundreds of billions of dollars in nutrition related healthcare costs.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
I don't disagree with that. I have read that our healthcare costs could be brought down if people would change their eating habits. I read an e-mail from an ER physician on a forum about the people and health related issues he sees in the ER. He was responding to the health care bill and how people would be able to afford health insurance if they changed their spending habits. He was speaking specifically about treating a young woman on Medicaid who was dressed in the latest fashion, expensive shoes, top level I-Phone with the blingy cover and up to date ring tone who was there because she ate fast food at least ten times a week, and if she got her priorities right, she would not only have money for health insurance, but her health would be better too.

I saw on the news today that by 2020, 50% of Americans will have diabetes or related health issues.
But isn't Medicaid decided on by someone's income? If the young lady had the money to buy all these things, how did she qualify for Medicaid?

Old 11-27-2010, 10:04 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,314,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafenstein View Post
I do think we could make people more healthy simply by better allocating what we subsidize with farm subsidies without even spending more on subsidies. Right now grains, cotton, potatoes, and soy beans end up getting the vast, vast majority of the farm subsidies in each year's farm bill but truthfully we have a massive glut of those items so we can safely cut back the size of the subsidies we give those four items. The money saved could be used to subsidize more healthy foods like fruits and vegetables that way the price of unhealthy food will go up as the price of healthy foods goes down. Or alternatively we could just tell the agro-corps to take a hike and get out of the subsidy business all together; that would raise food prices about 20% but mostly on junk food items and meats.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:08 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,387,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I do think we could make people more healthy simply by better allocating what we subsidize with farm subsidies without even spending more on subsidies. Right now grains, cotton, and soy beans end up getting the vast, vast majority of the farm subsidies in each year's farm bill but truthfully we have a massive glut of those items so we can safely cut back the size of the subsidies we give those three items. The money saved could be used to subsidize more healthy foods like fruits and vegetables that way the price of unhealthy food will go up as the price of healthy foods goes down. Or alternatively we could just tell the agrocorps to take a hike and get out of the subsidy business all together; that would raise food prices about 20% but mostly on junk food items and meats.
This. On top of this foods like beans, and fruit tend to be easier on the land and could cut back on fertilizer costs.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:13 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,432 times
I wondered the same thing myself. She was in the ER for health related issues due to the long term effect of eating a lot of fast food. I don't know. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
But isn't Medicaid decided on by someone's income? If the young lady had the money to buy all these things, how did she qualify for Medicaid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies