Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 08:13 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Listen folks, this thread seems to have gone in the direction of "Is there a God or isn't there" at which point I believe it would be better placed in the Religion Forum of C-D.

The OP, a poster from the NorthEast, was shocked to see the billboard in question placed at the Lincoln Tunnel - connecting NY and NJ. The easy answer, offensive as he found the ad to be, is under 1st Amendment rights, it can be legally placed there.

That of course leads to "Why do the American Atheists WANT to place it there? The only correct answer, in my opinion, is to create controversary. Mission accomplished. Does it really do anything for their cause? Not really to any of the NY/NJ people who see it. I've seen the comments on this board about the billboards dotting the South calling for hellfire on non-belivers. I find those offensive as well. But the fact remains that NY/NJ is not exactly the "gateway to the South". So this billboard could not be in retaliation, rationally, for any of those hellfire billboards. Why didn't the American Atheists place this billboard in Atlanta, GA or Austin, TX? Cowardly?

I don't see strength in any organization that needs to erect a billboard making a mockery of one religion to gain support for its own. It reeks of childishness.

So to bring the topic back to what the OP intended, I do find the billboard offensive and certainly geographically misplaced.
But atheism is NOT a religion. It is lack of religion. And with this billboard it is spreading the truth unlike the hurtful actually religious billboards.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:15 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
But atheism is NOT a religion. It is lack of religion. And with this billboard it is spreading the truth unlike the hurtful actually religious billboards.
Where exactly, in the states of NY/NJ, are those hurtful religious billboards?

Old 12-01-2010, 08:15 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
That of course leads to "Why do the American Atheists WANT to place it there? The only correct answer, in my opinion, is to create controversary.

<snipped for brevity>

I don't see strength in any organization that needs to erect a billboard making a mockery of one religion to gain support for its own. It reeks of childishness.

So to bring the topic back to what the OP intended, I do find the billboard offensive and certainly geographically misplaced.
I see we have yet another poster here who doesn't understand why a billboard like that is not to create controversy, or to be offensive.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:17 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I see we have yet another poster here who doesn't understand why a billboard like that is not to create controversy, or to be offensive.
Well then, please, by all means, enlighten me as to its actual purpose ...

Old 12-01-2010, 08:18 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
I'd suggest a little education. Try reading Stephen Hawking's 'The Grand Design' and you'll see that a deity, ANY deity, is not necessary for the universe to come into existence. But of course, sheeple are afraid of education.
Sorry...I don't buy it. It doesn't answer the ultimate question of how it all started.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:21 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Sorry...I don't buy it. It doesn't answer the ultimate question of how it all started.
Personally, I don't know how it all started. But that is not proof that god exists. It just proves that I don't know how it started.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Personally, I don't know how it all started. But that is not proof that god exists. It just proves that I don't know how it started.
You have 2 choices: either an intelligent creator or not. If you can disprove one, the other is true by default. That is simple, common logic. since we can prove that it's impossible to get something from nothing, the logical, rational belief is a creator.

Having said that, I'll never accuse atheists of being rational...so I'm sure someone will come back with the dopey answer that there "must be at third alternative".

Old 12-01-2010, 08:30 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
You have 2 choices: either an intelligent creator or not. If you can disprove one, the other is true by default.
Oh for chrissakes...you actually believe that? Wow...I didn't think anyone still bought into that lame argument.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Oh for chrissakes...you actually believe that? Wow...I didn't think anyone still bought into that lame argument.
who is chris?

anyway....prove it wrong if it's so lame.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
Quote:
You have 2 choices: either an intelligent creator or not. If you can disprove one, the other is true by default. That is simple, common logic. since we can prove that it's impossible to get something from nothing, the logical, rational belief is a creator.

Having said that, I'll never accuse atheists of being rational...so I'm sure someone will come back with the dopey answer that there "must be at third alternative".
Your logic is not as sound as you think and your entire premise has a fatal flaw. Who created the creator? If the existence of the universe is evidence of a creator since as you put it - "it's impossible to get something from nothing" then your intelligent creator could not have come from nothing either. So, to stay true to your logic, an intelligent creator (Creator 1.0) must have created Creator 2.0 who in turn created the universe. However, who or what created Creator 1.0? Your logic essentially leads to an endless loop of hypothetical intelligent creators and still provides no answer to the question of how it all began.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies