Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 01:24 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Someone who is legally and lawfully delegated the authority to make that decision.
And just who does this 'delegating'?

By all the so called justification I'm seeing here, by the logic shown Saddam Hussein would've been perfectly within his rights to send a hit squad after GWB once he'd announced his intention to take Saddam down, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 01:29 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You seem to be under the false impression that all justified homicides must be pre-approved by a judge and jury. Nothing could be further from the truth or even American juris prudence.
Your own personal odd-ball legal theory.

Of course you'll try and muddle this in with battlefield killings which this not. You'll try and throw in killing in self defense by police which this is not.

This is putting an American citizen on a list to be killed while sleeping, while talking on the cell phone, while shopping for groceries.

Without judicial oversight. No Judges involved. No Legislative oversight.

Not one legal expert thinks this is legal. Only some hacks that work for the President who claims this radical power.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:51 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And just who does this 'delegating'?

By all the so called justification I'm seeing here, by the logic shown Saddam Hussein would've been perfectly within his rights to send a hit squad after GWB once he'd announced his intention to take Saddam down, eh?
In this country, it would be done by Congress. In Israel, I suppose by the Knesset.

I'm not suggesting that such a delegation has, or has not, been done, but that's how it would work. I'm not totally up to speed on the functioning of the government of Israel, but in the United States Congress certainly would have the power and authority to do so AND to keep it a secret if they wished. As representatives of The People, the power of Congress is only restrained by the Constitution and the will of that People.

The President might have such authority as Commander in Chief, but that would be a legal question we've fought over for 200 years without a successful conclusion. I'm not a Constitutional lawyer by any means, but I suspect the Courts would find that he does not have that power UNLESS it was delegated to him by Congress.

What so many people fail to grasp is that ALL POWER in this country is derived by the consent of The People. The Constitution does not grant powers to anyone; it only limits what the federal government can do. Over time, of course, those powers have grown at the expense of the states, but only because The People allowed it, either directly or indirectly by inaction. In either case, the ultimate power still resides with us.

I said that to make this point: When I talk about a legal and lawful delegation of the authority to make such a decision, don't get hung up on the idea of "laws." We're not talking about within the established body of law which already exists (maybe), but about the concept that Congress, with the consent of the governed (that consent is rendered in each election) makes law within the Constitutional framework and if Congress passes a law authorizing such actions and delegating the authority to carry it out to some person or agency, it is ENTIRELY LEGAL AND LAWFUL!

Old 11-29-2010, 01:53 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Oh ok so you would be ok with Iran giving Israeli nuclear weapons staff ample warning to cease and desist before they murder them in cold blood on the streets of Haifa?

[It's always the same with these chickenhawks. They don't have the intellect to put themselves in other people's shoes or apply simple principles and laws in a fair manner
One set of rules for "their tribe" anything goes when dealing with the "other people"]
If Israel has nuclear weapons (and they have never said they do) then they have proven that they can exist peacefully with them without using them – even when they get attacked by their surrounding enemies. The same can not be said for Iran. Surely you can’t believe that Iran would hesitate to use nukes against Israel? The leader of Iran believes he can bring about the return of the hidden imam and usher in an age of Islamic peace by destroying Israel. Mohammad said that the Day of Judgment wouldn’t come until the Jews were destroyed. “Narrated by Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, ‘The Hour will not be established until you fight with the Jews, and the stone behind which a Jew will be hiding will say. ‘O Muslim! There is a Jew hiding behind me, so kill him’.” -- Sahih Bukhari Hadith Volume 4, Book 52, Number 177

Old 11-29-2010, 02:00 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
If Israel has nuclear weapons (and they have never said they do) then they have proven that they can exist peacefully with them without using them – even when they get attacked by their surrounding enemies. The same can not be said for Iran. Surely you can’t believe that Iran would hesitate to use nukes against Israel? The leader of Iran believes he can bring about the return of the hidden imam and usher in an age of Islamic peace by destroying Israel. Mohammad said that the Day of Judgment wouldn’t come until the Jews were destroyed. “Narrated by Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, ‘The Hour will not be established until you fight with the Jews, and the stone behind which a Jew will be hiding will say. ‘O Muslim! There is a Jew hiding behind me, so kill him’.” -- Sahih Bukhari Hadith Volume 4, Book 52, Number 177
Boy you can't even bring yourself to acknowledge Israel has nuclear weapons without throwing in the pointless fact that they've "never said they do"....lol

Wow that's really something that Israel doesn't admit to having nuclear weapons!....I'm sure that means something to you...LOL

You're crazy with the neocon kool-aid...thanks for the discussion.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:01 PM

880 posts, read 2,024,743 times
could not of been a muslim. simple fact he would have killed himself doing it.since this did not occur look to the USA and friends

Old 11-29-2010, 02:09 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post

Khruschev said he would bury us, should we have nuked him over cheesy rhetoric?

Old 11-29-2010, 02:37 PM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Three Iranian nuclear scientists victims of sophisticated bombing attacks. All in separate operations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/30/wo...wt&twt=nytimes

Two more Iran nuclear scientists attacked with bombs - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

95% likelihood this is Israel's doing. It's one of the most bigoted, brutal governments in the World.
I think your logic is faulty. First of all this is not an act of terrorism. It is an assassination.
Second, on what basis have you decided that it is Israel's doing?
Third, Israel tries not to harm innocent civilians when planning any attacks. It will even give some kind of notice to innocent bystanders to get out of the way before an attack. That is something that terrorists do not do.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:41 PM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
The old "wipe israel of the map" sham.

1) This was said many years ago.
2) The person who said it denies he said it.
3) The person who said it is not even the supreme leader of the country.
4) Even if he said it, Iran has said many times since then they wish to live in peace.
5) Even if he said it. It has no bearing whatsoever if they have the true intentions or means to attack Israel ( which they obviously don't)
6) Persian doesn't even have that saying..They claim what they said was much less threatening.

Israel is making plans to attack Iran now. Israel is likely committing murder by International law in Iran now. Israel is continuing to threaten attacks on Iran now.
So are you claiming that the fact that Iran keeps threatening Israel's destruction is not going to be committing murder by International Law? Israel is not threatening Iran, but trying to make sure that Iran doesn't destroy Israel by using self-defense techniques.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:49 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
And the OP immediately knows it was Israel....hmmm.
Based on their interest, their predisposition towards this type of act/ assassination, and the technique involved you best guesses are Israel or the US... This was too sophisticated to think an Arab group would do it and what is their interest in that?

who benefits... Israel and the US... who would have such devices at their disposal.. the US and Israel, who will assassinate targets as needed... could it be the US and Israel? I don't even think the Church lady would go for Satan on this one...

I'd say the OP is on the right track. guess 2... the US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies