Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 01:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times

Advertisements

No..but crying "terrorist" gets the uninformed masses on their side.

If you're not in line then you are a terrorist, racist, extremist.
Either way..you are something "bad" and should be silenced and punished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 01:30 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,249,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
A terrorist organization ? No.

Are wikileaks instilling a sense of fear in people ?
More like a sense of embarrassment and anger, but not fear.
Personally I also feel disgust. Long time ago I worked for one of the companies named, which was engaging in child sex trafficing for our government. Why is our government having anything to do with security contractors who do that?

It's an embarresment since its exposed a lot of ugliness certain people would rather remain hidden. But the house cannot be cleaned unless you find the hidden dirt. These companies or at least those high ups who coordinated it along with the minions who did the deed should be in jail for their crimes.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Personally I also feel disgust. Long time ago I worked for one of the companies named, which was engaging in child sex trafficing for our government. Why is our government having anything to do with security contractors who do that?

It's an embarresment since its exposed a lot of ugliness certain people would rather remain hidden. But the house cannot be cleaned unless you find the hidden dirt. These companies or at least those high ups who coordinated it along with the minions who did the deed should be in jail for their crimes.
As well as those that worked to cover it up and those that DID cover it up..like the press.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
As well as those that worked to cover it up and those that DID cover it up..like the press.
Yes. And I assume this is just the rot that came to the surface. There is plenty more rot down there waiting to rise. I think the slippery slope just started sinking faster and faster.

Currently I have tv stations so I can watch an occasional show and the weather. If I can find a suitable source for weather news beyond the live broadcast I may dump it entierly. I can't stand the smily faces and the misspeaks and lies that are being told so I ff through the rest.

When is China going to be offering us a copy of their filter so our internet can be as "safe" as theirs?

Old 12-10-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Or..how did the people of Germany let Hitler take over ?
Or..why did the Germans believe that WWII started when Poland invaded Germany and Germany was just defending themselves ?
I bought myself a cybermonday present this year and got a half off set of World at War. It just arrived. Might due to spend some time on the first few episodes on how it came to be. Or maybe everyone should.

I'd also reccomend "The Majestic". Deeply moving movie and one to remind you how quickly poision spreads in a social organism.

So much easier now, with so much said in digital media you don't even need snitches.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Yes. And I assume this is just the rot that came to the surface. There is plenty more rot down there waiting to rise. I think the slippery slope just started sinking faster and faster.

Currently I have tv stations so I can watch an occasional show and the weather. If I can find a suitable source for weather news beyond the live broadcast I may dump it entierly. I can't stand the smily faces and the misspeaks and lies that are being told so I ff through the rest.

When is China going to be offering us a copy of their filter so our internet can be as "safe" as theirs?
A weather alert radio should satisfy your needs.
Gives you weather when you want it..turn it on.
Rings alerts that you select when storms are approaching.

Have had one for 10 years due to Texas being tornado country and have given one to each family member since.
Radio Shack sells them.

http://www.weather.gov/nwr/nwrrcvr.htm

Old 12-10-2010, 05:34 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,154,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
In the first place anyone who thinks WikiLeaks has committed some kind of crime need to first prosecute the NY Times because they published the leaked docs before WikiLeaks did.
Second when telling the truth becomes a crime in the USA, then I no longer want to call my self a citizen.
At least the New York Times won't retract their stories. Some people (and newspapers) have an aversion to the truth.

Quote:
Reporter Pleads Guilty in Theft of Voice Mail

Published: September 25, 1998

CHICAGO, Sept. 24 — The Cincinnati Enquirer's lead reporter on an expose that was later retracted by the newspaper pleaded guilty yesterday to two felony charges that he stole internal voice mail messages from the Chiquita banana company, which he had been investigating.

In the Hamilton County courthouse in Cincinnati, the reporter, Michael Gallagher, pleaded guilty to one count of unlawful interception of wire communications and one count of unauthorized access to computer systems, which could bring two and a half years in prison and a fine of $7,500. He is scheduled to be sentenced on March 19.

Mr. Gallagher was dismissed by The Enquirer shortly after it retracted the May 3 article, an 18-page special report, which questioned Chiquita's Central America business dealings and included accusations of a bribery scheme in Colombia. The Enquirer retracted the article on June 28, running a front-page apology, and made $10 million payment to Chiquita. The articles hinged largely on information Mr. Gallagher got from the voice messages, which he said had come from a high-ranking Chiquita official with authority over the voice mail system.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/09/25/us...oice-mail.html

A high-ranking Chiquita manager who had authorized access to the voice mail-box codes, gave the codes to the Enquirer reporter who then called daily and retrieved messages from the voice mail boxes using the codes.

Because Gallagher was not a law enforcement agent, and not working for or under the authority of any law enforcement agent, the US government could have used that information to prosecute Chiquita, but of course, the government did not.

The reason for the bribery scheme was that Chiquita was using a pesticides and herbicides that had been banned in the US, and which was causing illness and injury to the slave laborers working on Chiquita's plantations in Columbia (and also Honduras and Guatemala).

Chiquita was bribing officials to "deal" with the pesky slave laborers who were too vocal about the use of the pesticides/herbicides and the damage they were causing and also those who were trying to organize unions.

The Enquirer published its retraction, and then everyone pretended that those things never happened.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:46 PM

Rather than going after Assange and Wikileaks, why hasn't Hillary been called to task on this ?
Sure many of the cables are from "before her time" but those during her leadership have the same content and theme..seems like BAU from one administration to the other.

The overall theme of these cables seem to be of corruption and bribery to either sway a nation's decision, get contracts awarded to US companies or to aid and abet another nation in covering up things.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:48 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
Halliburton may pay $500 million to keep Cheney out of prison: report | Raw Story

Old 12-10-2010, 08:02 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
How should they be punished for their irresponsible release of classified documents?

Personally, I would like to see the individuals that leaked these docs tried for espionage and/or treason, and I would like to see the principals behind WikiLeaks brought up on espionage charges and sent to prison for a very, very long time.

These misguided fools think they are doing some greater service, when in fact all they doing is putting Americans in danger and making us less secure. Classified documents are classified for a reason, and stealing them to give to foriegn entities is espionage, and those who have possession of them illegally are also criminals.

This crap has got to stop.
"It is almost too perfectly-scripted to be true. A discontented 22-year old US Army soldier on duty in Baghdad, Bradley Manning, a low-grade US Army intelligence analyst, described as a loner, a gay in the military, a disgruntled "computer geek," sifts through classified information at Forward Operating Base Hammer. He decides to secretly download US State Department email communications from the entire world over a period of eight months for hours a day, onto his blank CDs while pretending to be listening to Lady Gaga. In addition to diplomatic cables, Manning is believed to have provided WikiLeaks with helicopter gun camera video of an errant US attack in Baghdad on unarmed journalists, and with war logs from Iraq and Afghanistan."

"Manning then is supposed to have tracked down a notorious former US computer hacker to get his 250,000 pages of classified US State Department cables out in the Internet for the whole world to see. He allegedly told the US hacker that the documents he had contained "incredible, awful things that belonged in the public domain and not on some server stored in a dark room in Washington, DC." The hacker turned him in to US authorities so the story goes. Manning is now incommunicado since months in US military confinement so we cannot ask him, conveniently. The Pentagon routinely hires the best hackers to design their security systems."

"Then the plot thickens. The 250,000 pages end up at the desk of Julian Assange, the 39-year-old Australian founder of a supposedly anti-establishment website with the cute name Wikileaks. Assange decides to selectively choose several of the world's most ultra-establishment news media to exclusively handle the leaking job for him as he seems to be on the run from Interpol, not for leaking classified information, but for allegedly having consensual sex with two Swedish women who later decided it was rape."

Wikileaks - A Big,*Dangerous US Government Con Job*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies