Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 07:25 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Well ????? It would be an increase in taxes
No, it would not be an increase in taxes. The tax rate would remain the same, you just wouldn't be able to take the deduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
That's right, let's tax us more .... err uh ... I mean ... "them" ..... you ARE THEM
You do have the option of acting financially responsible and saving enough money to put a large down-payment on the house so that both your monthly payment and your interest rate is reduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight
I agree you need to take away incentives to borrow money that put us in this situation in the first place. It helps to promote borrowing, pushes up home prices making it more difficult to afford a home. At least one of the realtors actually stated in the article that the mortgage interest deduction interferes with the free market.
It's not a panacea, but it would be a step in the right direction. The deduction is only part of the problem. A bigger problem is low interest rates. That results in "Interest Inflation" where the price of anything that is tied to interest rates, like homes, autos, boats etc are inflated in price because there are more dollars chasing the same or fewer items tied to interest.

A good example of a Sucker's Scam is "0% Interest." Those people don't understand they are paying 19% interest or more, because the base price of the vehicle is inflated (and that's one of the things that happens when you have Interest Inflation).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 07:28 PM

57,262 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I can support the elimination of the mortgage interest deduction, under the condition that state and local property taxes paid are allowed as a tax credit on federal income tax. Or if property taxes are eliminated and state and local revenuse are raised by income and sales taxes only. We have an blatently unfair situation where renters are allowed to vote on issues driving property taxes, while they pay none (directly).

Also, eliminate the "earned income tax credit", tax day should not be a welfare payment to a large number of people.
Allow people to deduct taxes that amount to $10,000 to much greater and remove the earned income credit for someone that is making $20,000. What does that amount to in benefits for low income earners, around $100? That sounds a little lopsided.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:36 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Honestly, all I get out of reading your posts is your jealousy of "the rich".
that is because you lack reading comprehension.

i never used the words "rich" or "poor", and it is tiresome to have a discussion with someone who cannot understand your argument.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:14 AM

15,070 posts, read 8,629,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, it would not be an increase in taxes. The tax rate would remain the same, you just wouldn't be able to take the deduction.
I swear ... what on earth are you talking about? If a change is made in tax law and you wind up with less money in your pocket due to those changes ... it's a tax increase! The interest deduction is a REDUCTION in tax liability ... eliminating that deduction is an INCREASE in tax liability. WOW ..... this is really simple stuff.

Quote:
You do have the option of acting financially responsible and saving enough money to put a large down-payment on the house so that both your monthly payment and your interest rate is reduced.
What house a person buys or how much they put down has NOTHING to do with how much tax is too much or too little. And the government's insatiable thirst for more and more money has nothing to do with the people's financial responsibility, but has everything to do with the government's financial irresponsibility. This too is very simple stuff.

Quote:
It's not a panacea, but it would be a step in the right direction. The deduction is only part of the problem. A bigger problem is low interest rates. That results in "Interest Inflation" where the price of anything that is tied to interest rates, like homes, autos, boats etc are inflated in price because there are more dollars chasing the same or fewer items tied to interest.
I can almost see how you might come to this conclusion, given your state of confusion about everything else. Yet it is another example of your "lack of understanding" of how taxes, finance and banking actually works.

First, increasing taxes has proven to have a net negative effect in overall tax revenues due to the negative impact to economic growth, resulting in lower tax receipts. I know that may seem counter intuitive to you, as it has for generations of liberal democrats, but it is a fact nonetheless, and has been proven over and over again. The reality is, it is the cutting of taxes that actually increases tax revenues due to increases in economic activity. Now, it hasn't worked out that way this latest time around simply because those tax cuts were pocketed and not re-invested into the economy, because those with good business sense have long understood where this train wreck was heading, so they have been converting that money into hard assets rather than business expansion. But raising taxes in an economic decline is like throwing gasoline onto a fire. It's the last thing you want to do.

Secondly, inflation has nothing to do with interest rates, and is simply the measurement of the loss of purchasing power of money due to increasing the money supply, diluting its value. The more you devalue the currency, the more of that currency is required to buy the same things. In fact, supply and demand is the ONLY thing that actually causes prices to rise or fall ... not inflation. Again, I know that may sound ridiculous to you, but only because you don't understand the relationships. And I can prove it to you.

When I was born (1957) the price of gasoline was .23 per gallon. So you could go to the gas station and give them a dollar and get 4 gallons of gas, and receive 8 cents in change. And now today, at $2.75 per gallon, you think the price of gas has increased, don't you? Of course you do ... so do many of your woolly friends among the American sheeple. But I tell you, it hasn't gone up ... the price of gas today is actually lower now than it was in 1957!

Think I'm crazy? Nope. You see ... that $2.75 per gallon gas costs that much because the dollar is only worth 3 pennies ... so even at $3 per gallon, that would only be 9 cents in 1957 dollars. In 1957 we were still using real money ... sure we had dollar bills, but we also had silver dollars too, and you could go to the bank and request a silver dollar instead of a paper dollar, and it would be just fine with them to give you one. Don't try that today ... a Sliver Dollar now will cost you about $30+ of today's paper dollars. So, using that same silver dollar (real money) today, you can buy 10 gallons of gas at $3.00 per gallon, rather than 4 gallons in 1957. Has gas gone up in price? No ... it's actually gone down by over half. It's the paper money that has lost most of it's purchasing power ... and it has NOTHING to do with interest rates.

It's very simple math ... a silver dollar that used to be worth 1 paper dollar is now worth 30 paper dollars, 30/1 = .03 ... that is what the dollar is worth.

When you apply that to today's prices, you're going to find that a lot of things are cheaper today than they were 53 years ago, not more expensive. Like that $30,000 car really costing $900 ... when a comparable car in 1957 was about $1,800 .... or the $150,000 home actually costing $4,500.

But Interest rates having no affect on prices, doesn't mean it can't affect economic activity, either spurring growth or hindering it, depending on other factors.

So you can't say that interest rates do anything specifically without accounting for the other main factor ... the supply of money. It's the combination of the two that produces the effect.

If there is no money to lend ... then the interest rate is a non-issue to the potential borrower. It has no effect at all ... no more so than an a bottle of whisky will get you drunk without drinking some of it.

Quote:
A good example of a Sucker's Scam is "0% Interest." Those people don't understand they are paying 19% interest or more, because the base price of the vehicle is inflated (and that's one of the things that happens when you have Interest Inflation).
Again ... prices are set by supply and demand ... not interest rates. Interest rates ... in the example of cars, simply determines the division of profit for that business transaction. When the rates are high, banks receive more of the profit, and when the interest rate is low, the car manufacturer receives more due to increase in sales. I know, I spent 4 years in the car business ... low interest rates were a selling point, not a price setting point. The cost was the cost to the auto dealer, and had nothing to do with interest rates ... and guess what ... consumers have those cost figures too (the smart ones), and know what profit they're willing to pay for any given car. Of course, limited production cars sold for MSRP and sometimes higher .... "Supply and Demand".

Houses are another story ... and it's not so much the pricing of houses being affected by interest rates ... as it was the total amount the banks were willing to loan for any given house ... the terms ... and the interest rate ... so the banks totally control the housing prices, and who qualified to buy them, which is why they are TOTALLY responsible for the housing bubble and it's eventual bursting.

People like you want to blame the consumer for this, but it was the banks that artificially inflated the housing prices, along with their subprime mortgages to qualify those who would otherwise never qualify. The buyer was hoodwinked by the banks, and the banks KNEW these people were destined for eventual default. In fact, they were counting on it, because that's how they made a killing ... first by getting the initial paper ... insuring that paper ... and repackaging and selling those mortgages as derivatives to multiple buyers. A gigantic scam, from start to finish.

So no, the real sucker's game is falling for the ridiculous banker scam of blame the victim, and believing nonsense like higher taxes and higher interest rates are somehow beneficial for the average person ... it really takes a sucker to swallow that one. You have to be almost insane to believe that, or be a banker or a government, in which case, one could understand your attraction.

Our economy has been operating as the largest ponzi scheme in the history of crooks .... and it's about to become all to evident in the not so distant future.

The American people have been conned right out of their shirts ... is it our collective stupidity to blame for this? Perhaps a little ... but that doesn't let the Banker Gangsters off the hook ... they are ultimately to blame, and are criminals of the highest order.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:39 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
They need to get rid of the mortgage deduction. It's unfair to renters and it does subsidize home owners. A lot of renters in big cities (LA, NYC) will never be able to afford a home due to high home prices and those living in homes with subsidized mortgage deductions.

End the mortgage subsidy!!!! It needs to go away along with corporate welfare and those farm subsidies!

Old 12-01-2010, 05:45 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I disagree. It incentivizes home ownership. While people don't just say "Let's buy a house so we can write the interest off our taxes," it is an incentive to help offset the costs of owning a home. Said costs include property taxes, hazard insurance, home repairs, HOA fees, not to mention the actual mortgage itself (P&I) and PMI if you're at less than 80% LTV.

If people, regardless of class, want this write-off, they can save up a down payment, keep their credit good and purchase a home that is affordable for them. In many cases, a mortgage payment is about what a rent payment would be for a comparable home. The caveat is that you're responsible for upkeep.

I don't see any reason why the mortgage interest deduction should go away, and I doubt it will go away anytime soon.

It is the HOME OWNERS that are paying for the schools and police that you enjoy. Renters are getting a free pass. Schools and police protection are funded through property taxes.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
They need to get rid of the mortgage deduction. It's unfair to renters and it does subsidize home owners. A lot of renters in big cities (LA, NYC) will never be able to afford a home due to high home prices and those living in homes with subsidized mortgage deductions.

End the mortgage subsidy!!!! It needs to go away along with corporate welfare and those farm subsidies!

It is "unfair" that families get a tax credit for having children. Why should you be subsidized to breed. Singles and couples that choose not to have kids don't get the credit.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:53 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
So some people feel that it is fair for property owners to foot the bill for schools, counties and not be able to deduct it. Some say only the wealthy really benefit from it. Well there are for more middle class home owners than their are millionaires.
Sounds a lot like class envy to me. Because some opt to rent, or just can't afford to own a home then we should punish home owners. Now I might be for this idea if we changed the local, school and county tax systems to where everyone pays an equal share.
Yep makes perfect sense.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
So some people feel that it is fair for property owners to foot the bill for schools, counties and not be able to deduct it. Some say only the wealthy really benefit from it. Well there are for more middle class home owners than their are millionaires.
Sounds a lot like class envy to me. Because some opt to rent, or just can't afford to own a home then we should punish home owners. Now I might be for this idea if we changed the local, school and county tax systems to where everyone pays an equal share.
Yep makes perfect sense.
I agree. If you remove the mortgage deduction which benefits the people that actually PAY for the schools the children of renters attend, then it is only fair to make ALL parents pay a per student fee of $6000-$10,000 for them to attend. That way people without kids would not be "subsidizing" breeders.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:10 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
It is the HOME OWNERS that are paying for the schools and police that you enjoy. Renters are getting a free pass. Schools and police protection are funded through property taxes.
Incorrect. Apartment building owners pay property tax and that cost is included in their rental rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies