Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 02:18 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
That's the whole point - why should people have to get sick before there's a recall? The company manufactured products which were unsafe, and could have caused illness or death, and yet they refused to recall the cheese until the FDA forced them to! That's EXACTLY why we need this bill.
i'll take my chances. i'd have no problem eating their cheese and it should be their right and mine to eat and sell what we want. it's quite funny how the fda only recognizes this as a threat. they have no problem with the long term health effects of excessive antibiotics in in factory farmed animals. they have no problem with hormones and dna fiddling yet they go after the little guy time and again. let me make myself clear though, i too have no problem with the hormones, dna splicing, antibiotics etc. if that's what you want to eat that should be left to the consumer to decide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 03:41 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,032 times
That's your choice, but everyone else doesn't want to worry whether the food they buy at the grocery store is safe or not.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:51 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
That's your choice, but everyone else doesn't want to worry whether the food they buy at the grocery store is safe or not.
No, people want to live a worry free life and turn over all decisions and responsibilites to a large central government. For some, security in all forms is more preferable than liberty and the responsibility that comes with freedom.

Since when were you elected, gramirez2012, to speak for "everyone else"?

Old 12-01-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No, people want to live a worry free life and turn over all decisions and responsibilites to a large central government. For some, security in all forms is more preferable than liberty and the responsibility that comes with freedom.

Yeah, until YOU get food poisoning and require months of hospitalization, then you'll be crying "Why wasn't the government preventing this?!" Basically what you're saying is, you want to sacrifice public safety so that businesses can run wild and do whatever they want.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
wow, you are speaking for an awful lot of people, and you are wrong, it's not my choice, i have to live with YOUR choices. if however, the fda was a voluntary advisory board, then i would have choice. i could choose to go to a supermarket or drugstore which only sold govt approved food and/or medicine or i could choose whether to go to a supermarket or drugstore which only sold non regulated food and medicine or i could go to a store which sold both. unfortunately i have to live under the tyranny of the majority.

it's like the old helmet laws. i can choose, in the state of florida, whether or not i want to wear a helmet. personally i think people who ride without a helmet are insane, but that is their business

Old 12-01-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah, until YOU get food poisoning and require months of hospitalization, then you'll be crying "Why wasn't the government preventing this?!" Basically what you're saying is, you want to sacrifice public safety so that businesses can run wild and do whatever they want.
I have neither said nor suggested anything of the sort. Do you now pretend to speak for me as well?

Please, point out specifically in the Constitution where the government is granted the powers as passed in this new Food Safety Act. Do not hide behind the so-called "general welfare" clause.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
wow, you are speaking for an awful lot of people, and you are wrong, it's not my choice, i have to live with YOUR choices. if however, the fda was a voluntary advisory board, then i would have choice. i could choose to go to a supermarket or drugstore which only sold govt approved food and/or medicine or i could choose whether to go to a supermarket or drugstore which only sold non regulated food and medicine or i could go to a store which sold both. unfortunately i have to live under the tyranny of the majority.

it's like the old helmet laws. i can choose, in the state of florida, whether or not i want to wear a helmet. personally i think people who ride without a helmet are insane, but that is their business
So then what are you proposing? Maybe stores should hand out lists to customers that say which products on the shelves are contaminated, and which ones are not. People keep saying, "It's the consumer's choice, freedom, liberty, etc.". What they are forgetting is that consumers don't necessarily have the tools at their disposal to identify contaminated products. It is MY choice to eat food that does not land me in the hospital. If you choose to do otherwise, that is YOUR choice, but YOUR choice shouldn't affect mine to stay healthy!

Old 12-01-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
So then what are you proposing? Maybe stores should hand out lists to customers that say which products on the shelves are contaminated, and which ones are not. People keep saying, "It's the consumer's choice, freedom, liberty, etc.". What they are forgetting is that consumers don't necessarily have the tools at their disposal to identify contaminated products. It is MY choice to eat food that does not land me in the hospital. If you choose to do otherwise, that is YOUR choice, but YOUR choice shouldn't affect mine to stay healthy!
Would you similarly argue that the federal government's usurping of power should not affect American's abilities to stay healthy via food availability? Yes or no?

Old 12-01-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Would you similarly argue that the federal government's usurping of power should not affect American's abilities to stay healthy via food availability? Yes or no?
I absolutely believe that people should be able to eat the foods that they wish to eat, no doubt about that! But I also strongly believe that people have a right to eat food that will not make them ill.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:

you damn straight on that. if i got food poisoning i would blame it squarely at the foot of govt because they're the ones who say that their regulations make us safe. personally i'd prefer if the govt did make any promises because they ultimately can't keep them.

i really love this 'let business go wild to do what they want'. it's really quite silly. in order for a business to stay in business, they have to do what the consumer wants, period! if businesses poison their customers i doubt whether those people will remain customers for long. there's a very good chance that the friends and family of that customer might also take their business elsewhere, as will a whole raft of others once the media gets hold of the story. that's before you even take into account the good possibility that the customer will seek damages in court and there might even be criminal charges involved. really, business has every incentive to make sure their product is safe.

govt on the other hand operates with a different set of incentives. everytime the govt fails, the bureaucrats run to congress and say that they did so because A) they didn't have enough money and B) because they didn't have enough power. low and behold their power grows and so does their budget. they therefore have every incentive to allow crises to occur.

do yourself a favor and look at every crisis from the financial industry, to agriculture, to airline security, to education, housing, energy, environment etc. every agency has totally failed on the promises they make yet have a look at how all their budgets and powers have grown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies