Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:06 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,976,748 times

Advertisements

[quote=quixotic59;16860970]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I'm with you so far. I truly wish that public education would contain a class on personal financial management and teach delayed economic gratification. As a society, we don't do a very good job of helping our kids learn the basics of how to build a life financial plan, etc.

That is a content-free sentence.

The theory of agency has been very well developed in both the management and the legal world. Much has been published in academia about agency. You might want to read up on it. The relationship among the owners of the corporation, the board of directors, and the management of the corporation is well established and contradicts your assertion.

I don't think that is ignored. Corporations rely upon a well developed case law that supports property rights and contracts for example. When one company sells a product to another and extends credit, both companies rely on the existence of the legal system... not to mention the physical infrastructure.

Your conclusion does not follow from your premise. Businesses all have as part of their core values that they exist with local communities; you see this every year at various functions ranging from United Way campaigns to supporting local schools.

Uh, er, nope. Shareholders are the owners of the company. Only the owners of the company get to decide what their first priority is... not you, unless you want to go buy a company and change its priorities.

I think it's cute how you make believe that large corporations and Wall Street follow the same rules the rest of us have to. You can quote articles all day long and mangle statistics, the fact remains that the redistribution of wealth in this country is flowing up. There are hundreds of articles detailing corporate misconduct, illegal financial dealings, and insider trading.
What you support is economic Darwinism where the strongest survive. Anyone with a minimal knowledge of history knows that that is a clear path to the downfall of a society. However, many of our republican and corporate friends count on the ignorance of the general public to prevent them from understanding what is actually happening.
The unemployed did not unemploy themselves just as they did not hire themselves. They also did not issue their own mortgages, authorize their own credit cards, etc. Funny how we can tell someone they can't drink, smoke, or watch an R rated movie but we can't say no to an unqualified borrower. Hmmm, now who makes those decisions again????????????

Oh and by the way, corporate profits recovered but 401k's and pensions did not.
I used to be a believer in strict economic sanctions. Even up until about a week ago. But I came to realize that the corporate "robber barons," don't exist do to lack of regulation and sanctions. They exist precisely because the government allows them to through sanctions and regulations. If the government would butt out of business affairs unethical businessmen wouldn't be able to buy off Congress. I too am pissed at fat cats and unethical business but the answer isn't a further merging of business and government, it's a separation of them.

Think about it this way, with Congress knee deep in Wall St. Company A can approach Senator Unethical and pay Senator Unethical x amount of dollars to create Bill Y which ruins Company B, Company A's biggest rival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 09:07 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I think it would be helpful if you could possibly support such a statement.
Yeah. Have them begin by explaining how they managed to fit a strip club into their bedroom.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:09 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
A disgrace to Jonathans everywhere...

Old 12-02-2010, 09:10 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,744,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Yeah. Have them begin by explaining how they managed to fit a strip club into their bedroom.

I can........when REM kicks in..............

Old 12-02-2010, 11:13 PM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
I think it's cute how you make believe that large corporations and Wall Street follow the same rules the rest of us have to. You can quote articles all day long and mangle statistics, the fact remains that the redistribution of wealth in this country is flowing up.
You seem to not quite grasp the facts. In exactly what do you think pension funds, 401k's, etc., are invested? How do you think their value increases?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:45 PM

504 posts, read 456,793 times
Default Hit the nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauline May View Post
TigerBeer:

"When in reality, we need to get independent from both! Stand on our own without relying on either."

Now let's talk about the real world. Your comment suggests that we all should be, perhaps, entrepreneurs and not rely on either the corporate world or the government for a living wage or our financial and social well being.

In the real world, we all do -- and by necessity, must -- rely at some point to varying degrees on either of these two. That is the real world.

Unless you can give me an example of someone able to go through life totally independent of either corporations or the government. Your argument is pie-in-the-sky wishful (maybe Libertarian) thinking and has no basis in fact or reality.

This hits it right on the head. In the real world. Corporations now have put themselves in a position to where now they view govt as an adversary. After they have lobbied and cronied their way into parasitic position into the country they now want the Govt defanged (see the tea-party) so that the country can now jump to an extreme libertarian/feudal/facist system. They are almost there.
Our only chance at regaining control as the people is that we need to wrest control of the govt away from the corporations. Govt of, by and for the PEOPLE. Its our only chance, armed insurrection is out of the question. Thanks to corporate media there will be just enough dittoe (see the tea-party) heads ready to fight for the best interest of the corporations over their own self interests.

Govt is all we have sadly--------------We just need to regain control of it. We need to do our research on who we are electing.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:52 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
And that is why democrats like you have made such a hash of our economy. You feel sympathy for this couple? I don't. First of all my sympathy is for my children and grandchildren who will have to pay for any extension of unemployment benefits. Don't you have any sympathy for your own children and grandchildren?

Moreover, what is a guy in his 70's doing buying a house and mortgaging himself to the hilt? Parenthetically, no bank should have been lending this guy money to buy a house at his age, either. Apparently he already owns a home free and clear in Arkansas. He's better off than most.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:36 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times
I am lukewarm on this issue. Because of all the Presidents in my lifetime, that have come and gone and the present, my life has never been like oh Wow, what a great life i have, what have they done for us truly. I feel that both parties, have quite a ways to go, to please me. They both have pros and cons, but these days, it seems that the Cons, are the way to go.

Neither one cares about our illegal immigration issues, and until one does step up to the plate, i really have no use for either. Such an important issue like that, and they seem to scapegoat the issue, this makes me sick, do something about the damn problem.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:08 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,187 times
poor guy,has to live on only 2000 a month pension,300 in SS and he is loosing his UE. they could have found a better poster boy than him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies