Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 06:09 AM

442 posts, read 553,035 times

Advertisements

greed is not the answer. the right wing is so wrong, in every way.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:50 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Why is it that liberals always assume academic and intellectual superiority? I can guarantee you that I have more education, and almost certainly a higher IQ, yet I am a conservative. I guess it is probably because I used to be poor and have seen the destructive and ill advised policies of liberalism by "well meaning" practitioners.

I must say truthfully that I have never in my life encountered a liberal personally who was smarter or better educated than me. I have met many conservatives (many of my college and med school profs) who were much more intelligent and had far superior academic credentials. I have, however, met many, many liberals who thought they were intelligent, but were not.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:14 AM

Despite the OP's ignorant bashing, I actually agree with his premise. I do agree that our education system fails to promote and reward excellence on a consistent basis. I think that some of that starts at home, and perhaps parents aren't promoting excellence in education enough either. I really do believe we should reform our education system, it needs an overhaul.

First of all, I don't believe our kids should be stuck in one school district. I think we need to make education universal in that if there's a better school down the road parents should be able to move their kid there. We shouldn't be beholden to arbitrary "border lines." Also, something I notice is that schools perhaps a few miles apart sometimes teach vastly different things and offer different classes, etc. This should change, we should push a more universal national curriculum so that kids are learning mostly the same things.

I think we should do a better job early on in the education process finding and nurturing those kids who show a lot of spark. Especially in math and science, those are two vital subjects that we're falling behind the rest of the world in.

I think by 16, or the end of 10th grade, we should be done with a "catch all" general education for everyone. By 16/17 most kids and their parents have a pretty good idea of where they're going to want to go in life. I knew by an early age that any math heavy profession was out for me. By then I would not be uncomfortable with more area specific Academies being offered to parents. We could have Math/Science Academies, and Vo-Tech Academies, Writing and Language Arts Academies, etc where parents could send their kids to really nurture and cultivate kid's interests and skills.

Then it would be off to college. I would like to see one day where at least the first two years of college was free.

I know there are a lot of people who want to do vouchers and privatize education, but I don't like that idea at all. I'm not comfortable handing one more aspect of our lives over to private interests. I have a feeling corporations would be a driving force behind private schools. I'm sorry but I want at least one thing free of corporate interest and to remain truly public.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Public education has been changed from a system designed to produce workers capable of meeting the needs of industry for white and blue collar employees. As the need for these employees has decreased the need for public education has changed to become an advanced babysitting service for the population. It also serves as a means of preventing the dilution of the private university system with students that do not have the proper class or money to attend.

Now that the aristocracy has obtained nearly total financial and political control of our society they desperately need to limit their numbers. After all wealth and social position shared is diminished. The public school system is the first of the systems designed to protect privilege.

The aristocracy has its own private system of K-12 education that trains children of the wealthy the way to properly behave. These scions of wealth are finished off in the very expensive private universities where the kids are more than likely to meet future partners from wealth by being separated from the plebes. This reduces the dilution of privilege created when a socially inferior person marries into wealth.

As they have created their exclusive educational system the wealthy refuse to properly fund the public system just as they refuse to fund the rest of the government that protects their wealth and class privilege.

Yes, there is class warfare and they are winning.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Public education has been changed from a system designed to produce workers capable of meeting the needs of industry for white and blue collar employees. As the need for these employees has decreased the need for public education has changed to become an advanced babysitting service for the population. It also serves as a means of preventing the dilution of the private university system with students that do not have the proper class or money to attend.

Now that the aristocracy has obtained nearly total financial and political control of our society they desperately need to limit their numbers. After all wealth and social position shared is diminished. The public school system is the first of the systems designed to protect privilege.

The aristocracy has its own private system of K-12 education that trains children of the wealthy the way to properly behave. These scions of wealth are finished off in the very expensive private universities where the kids are more than likely to meet future partners from wealth by being separated from the plebes. This reduces the dilution of privilege created when a socially inferior person marries into wealth.

As they have created their exclusive educational system the wealthy refuse to properly fund the public system just as they refuse to fund the rest of the government that protects their wealth and class privilege.

Great post.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

Great post. The only people who seem to realize there's a class war going on are the those at the top.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Great post. The only people who seem to realize there's a class war going on are the those at the top.

Yep. The funny thing is, we are trying to help people out to inform them, but is that their intention? No, it's to call us "radicals" and "liberals" while they too, will be stripped of rights. Divide and conquer at it's finest.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Metal View Post
Yep. The funny thing is, we are trying to help people out to inform them, but is that their intention? No, it's to call us "radicals" and "liberals" while they too, will be stripped of rights. Divide and conquer at it's finest.
If you even mention that the rich are getting richer and they're rigging the government to increase their reverse Robin Hood set up you get accused of "class warfare," the meanwhile Paul Ryan and the other idiots in Congress can propose a massive redistribution of wealth to the rich plan and be called "courageous."

Old 04-13-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
If you even mention that the rich are getting richer and they're rigging the government to increase their reverse Robin Hood set up you get accused of "class warfare," the meanwhile Paul Ryan and the other idiots in Congress can propose a massive redistribution of wealth to the rich plan and be called "courageous."
Oh, I know!!!!!! It is like Repubs have seriously selective hearing!

Old 04-13-2011, 09:13 AM

577 posts, read 900,372 times
There is no question that public schools have been dumbed down to make the dumbest look less dumb, and there's no question that educators have long been uncomfortable with the predominance of white and asian students in gifted and AP programs. I guess the easy answer is the non-answer of just eliminating the programs.

The harsh truth is that the school districts that do eliminate AP, honors, and gifted programs in the name of diversity are going to lose their appeal to the most academically motivated and involved families; they'll just pick up and go elsewhere, either a different district, private school, or homeschooling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies