Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 12:11 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Why is it that liberals always assume academic and intellectual superiority? I can guarantee you that I have more education, and almost certainly a higher IQ, yet I am a conservative. I guess it is probably because I used to be poor and have seen the destructive and ill advised policies of liberalism by "well meaning" practitioners.

I must say truthfully that I have never in my life encountered a liberal personally who was smarter or better educated than me. I have met many conservatives (many of my college and med school profs) who were much more intelligent and had far superior academic credentials. I have, however, met many, many liberals who thought they were intelligent, but were not.
Here another example of why you maybe need to check your IQ score in your later years.

You're giving your anecdotal tale of how some of those who work and live around you are smarter than you, and are Conservative! The liberals you know just "think they are smarter".

Someone with a high IQ would ignore your silly story and go right to the source....an objective study that finds that liberals do have higher IQs' than conservatives.

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-02-26/h...y?_s=PM:HEALTH

Now having your IQ...do you honestly think a reader in this forum should go by your anecdotal story or the scientific report?

Old 12-01-2010, 12:23 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
Having read about and seen many who are incredibly gifted with a high IQ - I would say this is not an argument. People with high IQ tend to be very book smart or great thinkers and know a lot of things, but they are rather awkward and challenged in matters regarding people. Dealing with people (especially in a political sense) does not require a high IQ but social savvy. Lets see a study on how people with very high IQ's score on social "savvyness". Having said that, both groups of people are equally needed, but neither one is better than the other.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Having read about and seen many who are incredibly gifted with a high IQ - I would say this is not an argument. People with high IQ tend to be very book smart and know a lot of things, but they are rather awkward and challenged in matters of people. Dealing with people (especially in a political sense) does not require a high IQ but social savvy. Lets see a study on how people with very high IQ's score on social "savvyness". Both groups of people are equally needed, but neither one is better than the other.
Having an high IQ correlates with what American's define as "success". Namely higher incomes and professional careers. Yes it is true that salesmen, motivational speakers, preachers are the exception to this general rule. Modern day witch doctors.

Last edited by padcrasher; 12-01-2010 at 12:44 PM..

Old 12-01-2010, 12:51 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
As an aside, the "blue" states are NOT the only ones with excellent colleges. Here's a quick rundown of some top colleges in those "red" states

Duke, Vanderbilt, Rice, Emory, Washington University in St Louis, UVA, Wake Forest, UNC Chapel Hill, College of William and Mary, Georgia Tech, UT Austin, Univ of Miami

National Universities Rankings - Best College - Education - US News

I hear the same arguments that we don't have a decent college in the South either. Gets old. Here's the thing. Education is better in areas where the parents are involved, there's adequate local funding for the schools, and violence is lower.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
As an aside, the "blue" states are NOT the only ones with excellent colleges. Here's a quick rundown of some top colleges in those "red" states

Duke, Vanderbilt, Rice, Emory, Washington University in St Louis, UVA, Wake Forest, UNC Chapel Hill, College of William and Mary, Georgia Tech, UT Austin, Univ of Miami

I hear the same arguments that we don't have a decent college in the South either. Gets old. Here's the thing. Education is better in areas where the parents are involved, there's adequate local funding for the schools, and violence is lower.
You didn't hear any argument that the South doesn't have any decent schools. You heard speculation that Red States might have 1 university in the top 20....they have 4.

What does that say about those "liberals" and their "fancy book lernin"????

Old 12-01-2010, 01:33 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Those top universities are top because they are liberal, even if they are located in conservative states.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Those top universities are top because they are liberal, even if they are located in conservative states.
Very true.

Liberty University, Oral Roberts, SMU, BYU, Baylor........also rans.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:57 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post

We can thank the Progressives (or should that be, Regressives?) for doing their job to once again destroy American values that embrace competition, strive for excellence, and to be the best that we can be -- because to do so would be racist and offensive to everybody else who can't keep up, and it's just not fair. waaah.
Well, don't leave whites out of the picture just yet. I have worked in a handful of majority white school districts and have seen my fair share of nearly illiterate (white) middle schoolers. Yes, nearly illiterate as in they could BARELY READ their text books. Even the literate kids seemed prone to plagiarizing entire entries on Wikipedia for assignments. And it was not minorities dragging them down as there were barely any minorities to speak of in these districts.

Oh, and the special needs classrooms were also full of "non-minority" kids. Seems the problems are just everywhere.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:49 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
Well, don't leave whites out of the picture just yet. I have worked in a handful of majority white school districts and have seen my fair share of nearly illiterate (white) middle schoolers. Yes, nearly illiterate as in they could BARELY READ their text books. Even the literate kids seemed prone to plagiarizing entire entries on Wikipedia for assignments. And it was not minorities dragging them down as there were barely any minorities to speak of in these districts.

Oh, and the special needs classrooms were also full of "non-minority" kids. Seems the problems are just everywhere.
I don't deny that there are slow students of every race around, my issue is that schools should not be dumbing down their curriculum so that they can attain some kind of ideal diversity status. It essentially punishes the good students for being too smart (or in this case, punishes them for being white). I fail to see how these kinds of backwards policies helps the future of our country?

btw, it sounds like you live/work in the white rural ghetto of the Appalachia which has some of the highest white illiteracy rates in the country.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:56 PM

184 posts, read 142,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post

LOL all the top schools are in the bastions of liberalism in red states. Austin is the only hard core blue county in Texas (UT Austin); Emory, GA Tech in Blue Atlanta, UNC in blue Raleigh/ Chapel Hill and U Miami in blue Miami.

So you are only left with Oral Roberts and Holy Jeebus college!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies