Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2014, 01:14 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,140 times

Advertisements

American schools are declining because of America's changing demographics. There exists mountains of data to support this fact. I'm not even sure why so many, both on the Left and the Right, want to deny this.

There is a hierarchy in grades and test scores, with Asians at the top, Whites next, then Hispanics and Blacks at the bottom. This hierarchy exists in every state through elementary school to higher education. On every standardized test, this order exists.

Denial of this fact will not solve America's education problem. We have to cope with reality and recognize that America will only decline further with more third world immigration.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
I wanna know where the hell all this money is going.
I'm in schools still running Windows XP with Office 2005.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:47 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,002,120 times
And I wanna know when this golden age of school was from which we are declining.

I saw where Bel Kaufman died the other day, who wrote "Up the Down Staircase", age 103. That book, published in 1967, was an eye-opener to many concerning how bad it was in schools: concerning students, teachers and administrators.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/26/ar...-103.html?_r=0

Old 07-26-2014, 02:31 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,538,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I wanna know where the hell all this money is going.
I'm in schools still running Windows XP with Office 2005.
Check out the local tutoring operations. They're run by 'non-profits' designed to steal money.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:49 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
American schools are declining because of America's changing demographics. There exists mountains of data to support this fact. I'm not even sure why so many, both on the Left and the Right, want to deny this.

There is a hierarchy in grades and test scores, with Asians at the top, Whites next, then Hispanics and Blacks at the bottom. This hierarchy exists in every state through elementary school to higher education. On every standardized test, this order exists.

Denial of this fact will not solve America's education problem. We have to cope with reality and recognize that America will only decline further with more third world immigration.

I agree with you that there is a pecking order or even a caste system illustrated here. But many good Asian students come from modest beginings and have hurdles to overcome like learning English for example a mainland Chinese, Filipino, Vietnamese, Malasian, Cambodian, Burmese, Thai or Indonesian. All of these people come from places where the income is less than half that of black Americans and Latinos who are here in the USA. Virtually none of schools they attended even approach the spendor or equipment of schools in the poorest parts of New York, Washington DC, Chicago or LA! All that can be said of their schools is the clean, tidy and well attended. So I think this rules out the arguement that school infrastructure is the reason they suceed. So how do they do it and when they show up at American Graduate Schools suceed there too. What do they have that blacks, latinos and an increasing number of white Americans lack. Well one thing it isn't is race or African culture because one of the richest ethnic groups in America first generation African immigrants (especially Ghanians) and nor is there any problem with speaking a spanish or portuguese and being hispanic/native American/African first genration South Americans (eg. Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Peru and Colombia) are almost as sucessful .

Old 07-26-2014, 03:27 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
Well the first big lie is that we were ever very good. We were not. We have finished last or close in virtually all test of math or reading since they started after WWII. So we have been relatively bad for 70 years or so.

I am also aware of no credible reports we are declining. We appear, overall, to be doing better by small increments than we used to.

I do think the heterogeneous versus homogeneous argument is an interesting one. If you wish to make substantial improvements one would think you go after the bottom end. Simply such a vastly greater improvement available. And perhaps we should consider the gap as the measure of the resource to be applied. Spend twice as much on the bottom quintile as on the top. There have been some experiences that says this does not work...but it was not done very well. ie Taj Mahal facilities don't bring up scores. But how about half the load on each teacher?

I am skeptical about charters and vouchers. How is it they are supposed to work. In a lot of situations now I see a group of middle class citizens who have figured a way to get a private school paid for by the state. You need to work with the bottom end and figure out ways to get past very poor and sometimes incompetent parents. And at the same time hold good teachers in the bad schools .

Old 07-26-2014, 03:45 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I think education worked when educators did less thinking about educating and more actual educating.

There was more emphasis placed on student and parental responsibility in education.

My kids' junior high took away honors classes and mixed all the kids up. The effect was the opposite they were hoping for. The lower performing kids took the entire classroom down to their level.

I was not a happy parent during those years.
You'd be surprised how many academic types think this is a good idea. They also are the impression that there is no such thing as intelligence and if there is everyone has the same amount.

These people take egalitarianism to new heights. It would be comical but they have the ears of the people that run the schools.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:46 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post

Unfortunately nearly all of academia disagrees with you, which is frightening.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:33 PM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post
Liberals aren't the ones trying to teach fairy tales and creationism in schools.
Are you aware of the fact that public funds already go to religious-affiliated private schools? Notre Dame, American University, Georgetown, Boston College, Emory, etc... Their students get public funds in the form of grants and scholarships for students and no one bats an eye.

Are they subject to creationism and fairy tales? No. FYI, former president Bill Clinton, a Democrat, graduated from religious school Georgetown University.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:36 PM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
And I wanna know when this golden age of school was from which we are declining.
Read the college professor's Atlantic article:

The Other Crisis in American Education - 91.11
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies